AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > CRASHED!

CRASHED! A topic for SEVERE and immediate Hardware and Operating System FAILURES. We will try to get you up again. NOT for Optimization questions!

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 5th November, 2006, 10:53 PM

Pentium III

Been working (for the first time) on a Gateway Pentium3 with 256 Mb of ram (198 efective).
Turn it on, boot as usual take a look at the sys behavior, open some programs ect, then turn it off. I give a thorouht (a good) clean up with dustoff (canned air) and install a new DVDrom instead of the old cdrom. Turn it on again. XP logo appears and then a BSOD. Shut it down and try again. This time there was no BSOD, instead a "Network boot aborted" press enter(what the heck) and get a "Operating System not found". Enter to something call "Managed PC Boot Agent" but didn't dare to change anything. Boot again, the same thing. Take all out and put it back again(except the dust) and nothing. Chk psu with psu tester (dahh) and everything seems to be ok. HDD make a fuuny noise when is started but it was doing it since the beggining.
Forget to said that the DVDrom drive is not working either.

Any ideas of what is happening

ASUS G73 SW, IE7, 20 GB DD3 ram

AOA Team fah

Last edited by Strongwolf; 5th November, 2006 at 11:07 PM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 6th November, 2006, 02:15 AM

Send a message via ICQ to Repo Man Send a message via AIM to Repo Man

Sounds as though the hard drive is dying or dead. But that doesn't explain the DVD ROM. Are you trying to install it on the same IDE channel as the hard drive?

If no drive will work, that makes the motherboard suspect. But some optical drives won't work on some motherboards, even though both are in working order. I have a DVD ROM that has refused to work on a Via chipset P-3 board, and on a ZX chipset P-3 motherboard (other optical drives work perfectly). But it works great on an old Via chipset Socket 7 board, and in my Nforce 4 939 motherboard.

Make sure and take a look for bad capacitors.

Try removing and reinserting the memory.

It is the dull man who is always sure, and the sure man who is always dull.
H. L. Mencken
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 6th November, 2006, 03:36 AM

Send a message via MSN to Samuknow

Had this happen once. Blew out a computer and some of the dust was obviously conductive enough to short out some of the components. Dust became embedded under the components. Powered up and it started and then never ran again.
Old 6th November, 2006, 05:16 AM

Mannnn, the world is coming to an end. Got three(3) computers
@ home a none work. My friend Gateway wont past from the xp logo and rolling bar(its restart every time. You are right Repo Man hdd is dying. Put my xp disc (a ribbon cable was at fault with de DVDrom) run recovery console chkdsk and says that had detected one or more errors ect, ect.Run fix mbr and nothing. After three hours give it up and went to my dad's rig to chk out what has been posted in my thread. Guess what? It won.t boot either. Take out all the cables and reinstall them, take out the ram and put it back, nothing. The hhd is bad too, saids SMART. Finally take out the VC and SC and its give me a chance to come here. Still rebooting espontaneusly(just like the Gateway, but this one has never been on my house before) from time to time. My rig still in the bench a waiting for the CPU and PSU. Memory arrive last friday. So here I am about 6 hours working on this stuff and still no results. I suspect foul play of the psu in my dad's rig and a bad Hdd in the other. I will leave this for now and go to sleep. Tire as a dog and no very happy.

Thank you guys for the help.

AOA Team fah
Old 7th November, 2006, 04:24 AM

Get my dad.s rig back on line. Still strugling with the gateway.

AOA Team fah
Old 8th November, 2006, 10:55 PM

Changing psu on the gateway is a no go(propietary). Get the DVDrom to work but that's it so far.

AOA Team fah
Old 9th November, 2006, 04:39 AM

Gateway up and running. Change HDD and give it some TLC. Dads rigs up and running too. Have to take one stick of ram out. It looks like the slot goes bad.

AOA Team fah
Old 17th November, 2006, 02:08 PM

Send a message via MSN to Samuknow

Glad to see you got them going.....