AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > CRASHED!

CRASHED! A topic for SEVERE and immediate Hardware and Operating System FAILURES. We will try to get you up again. NOT for Optimization questions!

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 7th November, 2006, 08:54 AM

Question BIOS stops on "Detecting IDE Drives" after trying to add a SATA

Hello there!

I have runned a linux server on the following hardware for a year now.
Epox EP-4PLA3i motherboard
Intel Celeron 320 D cpu
256 MB DDR400
80 GB Western Digital WD800-BB as master channel1
200 GB as slave channel1
a dvdrom as master channel2
All three above mentioned are PATA units.

But I have bought an Western Digital Raid Edition 2 WD500-YS that I wanted to put into the server. I put a jumper on that disk to force it to operate in SATA1 mode instead of SATA2 since that is what my motherboard support.

SATA was disable by default in bios, and after I have tried to activate it, I cant get my system to see my harddrives at all! Bios only autodetect my dvdrom, not either of my two PATA harddrives.

When I try to boot up The bios checks the memory ok, and then its takes a very long time when I see the message "Detecting IDE drives..." about 5-10 minutes later I get the "verifying DMI pool data" and there I see
Code:
Primary master: none
Primary slave: none
Secondary master: Samsung Dvdrom
Secondary slave: none
I have tried to put the WD800-BB into my windows computer, and there it gets autodetected by the bios.

I have also tried to disable the sata in bios, and still it doesent see my two ide harddrives.
I have felt on my two nondetected harddrives and they are spining, cause I can feel a small amount of heat and vibration.
I have tried to change the IDE cable to another one, in an attempt to rule out that as a reason, with no affect.
I have for all that year of running time had the two harddrives jumpered as cable select. But when I got this problem I tried to set them as Master for the one on the end of the cable which also is the one with the boot partition on it, and as slave for the the hdd connected at the middle of the IDE cable. but that dident help either.

It's the smaller 80 hd that was master that is keeping my OS and a bunch of config files I want to backup, So I think I will put that on my windows computer and see If I can rescue some files from it with a knoppix bootcd, and if I can verify its functionality with Western Digital's "Data lifeguard tools CD".

But how can I get my bios to detect my IDE drives again?
I have tried to click on manually detect from inside the bios but that dident work.

After how I read the fine manual for the motherboard/bios, I should disable one channel of IDE devices when adding support for two SATA devices, (If not using win2k or winxp, then one can use "extended support" and have all four unites of PATA with two SATA units), but when I do that seeting sata as "for secondary" I still dont get any detected PATA drives.

Sincerly _Qwerty_
Old 7th November, 2006, 03:21 PM
Asst. BBS Administrator

Welcome to AOA, Qwerty!

Bump.
Old 10th November, 2006, 02:44 AM
Asst. BBS Administrator

Little help here, please.
Old 10th November, 2006, 04:49 AM

I have no experience with SATA drives, but I know my WD600BB gave me just the EXACT same problem when I had it set as "single" instead of the "master" setting for two drives. Check there first!
Old 10th November, 2006, 07:44 AM

Perhaps I should try to clear cmos, and start over again, or just load failsafe setup in bios.
Old 11th November, 2006, 10:55 AM

I'd suggest you disconnect and depower the SATA unit and go back to your starting config.

It could be the system sees the SATA drive first and tries to boot it or maybe this drive has pushed your PSU over the edge - either way if you test a drive at a time this should prove it. Good Luck !