AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > CRASHED!

CRASHED! A topic for SEVERE and immediate Hardware and Operating System FAILURES. We will try to get you up again. NOT for Optimization questions!

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 15th November, 2006, 11:31 PM

Send a message via AIM to Necorum Send a message via MSN to Necorum Send a message via Yahoo to Necorum

PC wont boot

Ok after retunring from a lan my pc wont post. The keyboard will flash (numlock caps ,scroll) then nothing. Hard drive wont spin up cant open cd drives etc. If I unplug the IDE cable from the drives any of them they spinup and can open (hard drive spins up also) I have reseated EVERYTHING. Also re setup all my wires. I have also noticed that my Northbridge gets rather hot for some reason and i have also reseated it.

So is it the motherboard or PSU? I have got it to post one time after this same thing happen and now nothing.

3dMark 11: P7023
3dMark Vantage: P31097
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 16th November, 2006, 05:21 AM

Question

try this --

with the pc shut down, but the power cord(s) still attached, shut the main power strip/surge protector down (so evrything's off, but plugged in).

push the power on button for the pc and hold it for 5-10 seconds, so the charge in the psus' storage caps (as well as the pwm circuits) will zero...

the fans will try to spin up for a second, then coast down to a stop.

now let go, and switch the power strip back on; see if the pc will boot.

If it won't, switch out the psu temporarily and reevaluate.. or.. you can step back to removing all non HDD0 devices (power and com leads), etc, then reattempt reboot.

sometimes a static or spurious charge can cause the psu to limit (or shutoff) output, but usually affects all outputs, not just 3.3 or 5.

If the psu's weak, and we've all been there before, it could be the source of your problem. Then again, if something in the board decided to overamp, you wouldn't really see any smoke, would ya.

post back about where it goes.
Old 16th November, 2006, 01:44 PM

Send a message via MSN to Samuknow

I would absolutely check the PSU.

Also with moving it around, you might want to make sure nothing got behind the board, a screw or something.

BTW, the G card and cpu work great. Thanks bud.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 16th November, 2006, 10:56 PM

Send a message via AIM to Necorum Send a message via MSN to Necorum Send a message via Yahoo to Necorum

Yea i left the machine on for a but and got a melting plastic smell and shut itoff. Prob from the hot heatsink on the northbridge.

I will check behind the board hopefully i can get this up and running.

NP on the chip and g card. If this doesnt work im selling 2 giugs of ddr 3200 corsair low latency 2225 ,a sound blaster audigy 2 ,the viper case ,the geforce 6800 ultra .... so um yea off to try this stuff

Old 17th November, 2006, 02:14 AM

Send a message via MSN to Samuknow

Dude, Hope it works out for ya.
Old 17th November, 2006, 10:32 AM
OcBible Creator

If someone there can borrow a PSU for test try it otherwise make a semi-naked wire like this connect it this trick works for 20/24 ATX PSUs.
Beside of them check your PSU rails.

Last edited by MrSeanKon; 17th November, 2006 at 10:33 AM.
Old 18th November, 2006, 01:15 PM

As the problem occurred after transporting the machine I'd suspect am electro-mechanical cause like an unseated component or short-circuit - if a rebuild out of the case doesn't work I'd say you need to rma the board so that would be worth a try on the way.
Old 24th November, 2006, 04:31 PM

def. the board everything else works BUT the mobo. The mobo wont spinup any drives and the hard drive light sticks on. Removed the systhe case and just installed the gpu and that was it and no boot.

Argh and on rma's i got the board from newegg but my account for some reason doesnt exist anymore. So how do i rma ? Asus? no receipt also since the receipt was on newegg

Old 25th November, 2006, 01:10 AM
Asst. BBS Administrator

See if you can RMA the m'board with Asus. If it's older than one year it may be yours to have and to hold, etc.
Old 25th November, 2006, 04:17 PM

yea just selling the whole system before i have my bro throw it in the air and the 12 gauge gets it