AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > CRASHED!

CRASHED! A topic for SEVERE and immediate Hardware and Operating System FAILURES. We will try to get you up again. NOT for Optimization questions!

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 18th November, 2006, 10:03 AM

An ICS problem

Hi there, I didn't know where to put this thread so I've put it here. Hope you won't mind ^^

Here's my problem: I have two computers, both in the same workgroup, one connected to internet[with Win98SE], second not[WinXP] and I've been trying to make computer with WinXP have an internet connection.
I've tried so far many programs like SyGate , WinGate, but none had worked.

I have also tried the ICS option , but it also failed, I have no idea why, at the beginning everything seemed fine but after a couple of minutes, the computer with WinXP lost the internet connection for good.

Could you help me with it ?..

Last edited by niepamietam; 18th November, 2006 at 10:04 AM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 18th November, 2006, 10:52 AM
AOA's resident barman

Send a message via ICQ to Favu Send a message via AIM to Favu Send a message via MSN to Favu

Whoa there! I hope that the win98 machine is good and clean, that's an old piece of software to be using.

Also how are you connected to the intarwebs and how are the PCs networked together? And can you ping one box from the other?

Custom 8-bit Sharp Z80 @ 4.194304 MHz
Reflective LCD @ 160 × 144
8 kByte S-RAM

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 18th November, 2006, 12:20 PM

I assure you it's clean , I've cleaned it very deeply recently :>
The computer with Win98SE connects to internet by a cable modem; the computers are networked by a cable[i have no idea how it's called in english, sorry my vocab is not so good o_O], anyway i can ping one box from the other.
Old 18th November, 2006, 01:06 PM

I'm a little rusty on Win 98 but I recall ICS on the '98 box should allow it to assign an IP address to the other machine so both can use the internet at the same time - does this happen ?
Old 18th November, 2006, 01:48 PM

"'98 box should allow it to assign an IP address to the other machine " - could you repeat it, maybe with a little less sophisticated vocabulary? I'm not so good at engilsh..
Old 18th November, 2006, 03:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by niepamietam
"'98 box should allow it to assign an IP address to the other machine " - could you repeat it, maybe with a little less sophisticated vocabulary? I'm not so good at engilsh..
Sorry - I knew what I meant

Basically your Win98 machine will be assigned an IP address by your service provider when you connect up.

ICS will then assign another address to the WinXP machine so it can route traffic that originated on the XP machine back to it - the ICS software uses addresses that begin 192.168 for that.

The only address you should set up is the one for the network card on the Win98 machine thats connected to the XP machine - 192.168.0.1 should do it. - Edit: I think ICS may do this when you enable it for this adaptor but its worth checking.

There's a rather good diagram here: http://www.networklab.co.uk/cmodem/winxpics.html

As far as the WinXP machine is concerned the Win98 machine is its internet service provider so the Win98 machine always needs to be running first.

I hope this helps - please come back if its still not making sense.

Last edited by JimF; 18th November, 2006 at 03:32 PM.
Old 21st November, 2006, 09:28 PM

Send a message via MSN to Samuknow

The way I did this before I had a router is, put 2 network cards in the 98 machine. Connect one to the cable modem and the other to a switch. Enable ICS in 98 and tell it which network card is to be the sharing card ( the one hooked to the switch) connect your other machine to the switch and it should acquire an IP from the win 98 machine....
Old 26th November, 2006, 07:08 PM

My brain's geared in a slightly different direction altogether, because of the speed penalties and security problems associated with ICS.

Wall to cable modem; cable modem to router/switch; all pcs connected to router/switch; all firewalls configured to subnet only shares; router/switch configured to SSID broadcast OFF, and all other traffic (except connected pcs) denied.
Old 26th November, 2006, 08:50 PM

If you have a router, you do not need to use ICS. Your routher will share the internet connection.
Old 27th November, 2006, 06:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samuknow
If you have a router, you do not need to use ICS. Your routher will share the internet connection.
my point exactly. the ics myth to retard inbound hacking... on a shared file network... residing on a router already inside the gateway...

well, it just doesn't justify the internet and pc performance penalties (or the consistency of notariety MS gives it)..

not to mention the PITA it is every time the adjacent pcs boot looking for mapped drive files, if so configured. P2P configuration of the shared resources, set for firewall subnet access only, is a helluva more efficient consideration (and fairly friendly).

Most routers already give us the ability to restrict ip accesses, without any internal firewall services running.

Another option yet(?) -- setup a cheap NAS drive connected to the router, where files can be dumped to, and accessed from, by all pcs. Makes obtaining or transferring files, or storing backups, a heckuva lot more efficient. Then, get yourself a $150 CAT5 enabled laser printer, setup on a P2P service, so you can dump to it from all pcs.. but also just shut it off when/if the kids go Millsberry doll dress-up printer happy.
Old 27th November, 2006, 01:21 PM

I use a jet direct for my laser printer. Ebay 35 dollars. easy to set up and prints to IP. Flawless for the 5 computers in my house.
Old 28th November, 2006, 02:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samuknow
I use a jet direct for my laser printer. Ebay 35 dollars. easy to set up and prints to IP. Flawless for the 5 computers in my house.
sweet [oh yeah]
Old 2nd December, 2006, 02:53 AM

I suspect you just need to include the WIN 98 machine in you WinXP's firewall exceptions and if your using a crossover cable between them it should work.

Good Luck

Dave

Edit: I suppose I should explain how to do it. Easiest way if you have your WXP Disc, is put in the Win98 maching and use the set up home network wizard. With the Win 98 machine as the "gateway to the internet" then run the wizard on the XP machine too. But on the XP machine select "this machine connects through anohter computer on the network" option. That will configure your IP DHCP and firewall for you.

If your a comfortable manually configuring you'll find the firewall settings in the control panel, simply check allow file and print sharing.
EVGA 7800GTXs 512mb SLI @ 591/1.75ghz
Soundblaster Live X gamer
2x30gb Maxtor IDE Raid 0 System
160bg Maxtor IDE Storage
Westinghouse 32 in LCD

Last edited by DaveBC; 2nd December, 2006 at 03:04 AM.
Old 5th December, 2006, 12:35 AM

Quote:
But on the XP machine select "this machine connects through anohter computer on the network" option
True, yeah..

but that then makes the WinXP machine dependent upon the Win98 machines' pci bus and memory resources, due to the double card syndrome, which slows down negotiations with the internet considerably, and also slows down the primary machine.

know what I mean?

er.. I guess it's personal.