AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > CRASHED!

CRASHED! A topic for SEVERE and immediate Hardware and Operating System FAILURES. We will try to get you up again. NOT for Optimization questions!

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 28th November, 2006, 10:40 PM

updating Processor and BIOS/reinstalling SP2

I had a problem with my computer involving the blue screen of death because of a windows update recently and just fiixed it using these guidelines:

1. Insert the Windows XP startup disk in your floppy disk drive or insert the Windows XP CD in the CD drive or in the DVD drive, and then restart your computer.

Note When you receive the following message, press a key to start your computer from the Windows XP CD:
Press any key to boot from CD

Note Your computer must be configured to start from the CD drive or the DVD drive. For more information about how to configure your computer to start from the CD drive or the DVD drive, see the documentation that came with your computer or contact the computer manufacturer.
2. When you receive the Welcome to Setup message, press R to start the Recovery Console.

Note Multiple options will appear on the screen.
3. Select the Windows XP installation in question.

Note You must select a number before you press ENTER, or the computer will restart. Typically, only the 1: C:\Windows selection is available.
4. If you are prompted to type an administrator password, do so. If you do not know the administrator password, press ENTER. (Typically, the password is blank.)

Note You will not be able to continue if you do not have the administrator password.
5. At the command prompt, type cd $ntservicepackuninstall$\spuninst, and then press ENTER.

Note After you complete this step, you cannot stop the removal process.
6. At the command prompt, type batch spuninst.txt, and then press ENTER.

Note The Spuninstal.txt file appears. As the file scrolls down, you will see errors and files being copied. This is normal behavior.
7. After Windows XP SP2 is removed, type exit, and then press ENTER.
8. Restart your computer in Safe Mode. To do this, press F8 as the computer restarts.
Note After you restart, the system may lock up with a black screen. (Your mouse will work.) In this case, restart again by turning the computer off and then back on. The second restart will let you to log on.
9. When your computer restarts, Windows Explorer (Explorer.exe) does not run, and the Windows icons and the Start button are unavailable. To resolve this problem, follow these steps:
a. Press CTRL+ALT+DEL to start Task Manager.
b. Click File, and then click New Task (Run...).
c. In the Open box, type regedit, and then click OK.
d. Locate and then click the following registry subkey:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Servic es\RpcSs
e. On the right side of the viewing pane, right-click ObjectName, click Modify, type LocalSystem in the Value data box, and then click OK.
f. Restart your computer
10. Use one of the previous methods to remove Windows XP SP2 from your computer. (I couldn't figure out what he meant by this step and I couldn't find a way to contact him because he hadn't gone on that forum for almost a year)
(from http://www.geekstogo.com/forum/index...32&mode=linear)

After doing this I could log onto my computer again, but it's not working properly. Some things I've noticed are that I can't copy and paste anything or move any files, parts of the task bar are missing and its smaller, and the computer is extremely slow. I looked at "Add/Remove Programs" and SP2 was still there, but I couldn't remove it. I also looked at the device manager and "Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 2.40GHz" and "Microsoft System Management BIOS Driver" have exclamation marks next to them so I am guessing that they need updating or reinstallation, which I don't know how to do.
Old 28th November, 2006, 10:53 PM
AOA's resident barman

Send a message via ICQ to Favu Send a message via AIM to Favu Send a message via MSN to Favu

Seems like the article you quoted is actually from the MS knowledge base HERE

All that you have done is to uninstall SP2, but as you say your problems where caused more recently (SP2 has been around a while) I would suggest that perhaps your problems where caused by a virus or other malware?

Custom 8-bit Sharp Z80 @ 4.194304 MHz
Reflective LCD @ 160 × 144
8 kByte S-RAM

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 1st December, 2006, 11:29 PM

well according to the site u gave me some drivers might get uninstalled so i figured it had something to do with uninstalling SP2
so for now i would like to know how to reinstall my processor and BIOS
also i have noticed that the printer driver has also been uninstalled

one thing i really want to get fixed for now is being able to move files in case i need to wipe my hard drive so if u have a solution for at least that it would help a lot
Old 2nd December, 2006, 03:22 AM

HI,

Since your not using SP2, I suggest an repair install of XP.

1. Boot from the CD again.
2. This time select the "Install" option instead of the "repair".
3. After the install process completes coping files you'll get an option to repair the current installation.
4. It will seem like the original install. But your files will be intact. And windows will re-detect your devices.
5. NOTE that USB 2.0 is SP2

Good luck,

Dave
EVGA 7800GTXs 512mb SLI @ 591/1.75ghz
Soundblaster Live X gamer
2x30gb Maxtor IDE Raid 0 System
160bg Maxtor IDE Storage
Westinghouse 32 in LCD
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 4th December, 2006, 12:38 AM

At this stage I'd be tempted to go for a clean install of everything but either way do remember to apply the service packs before surfing - otherwise you are wide open to all types of virus attack.
Old 4th December, 2006, 11:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveBC
HI,

Since your not using SP2, I suggest an repair install of XP.

1. Boot from the CD again.
2. This time select the "Install" option instead of the "repair".
3. After the install process completes coping files you'll get an option to repair the current installation.
4. It will seem like the original install. But your files will be intact. And windows will re-detect your devices.
5. NOTE that USB 2.0 is SP2

Good luck,

Dave
I did exactly what you told me to do and I'm getting an error after waiting hours for "Installing Windows"
It says:
Error:
Setup had problems registering the following OLE control DLL:

C:\WINDOWS\System32\initpki.dll

Contact your system administrator, who may provide assistance in diagnosing this problem.

Error:

The signature for Windows XP Home Edition Upgrade is invalid. The error code is 426.

The service has not been started.

Fatal Error:

Setup failed to install the product catalogs. This is a fatal error. The setup log files should contain more information.

(The same thing is repeated 2 more times.)
I need this computer to be running somewhat soon so please tell me if there's no chance that I can save it. Of course I would rather save the files I have on the computer (possibly by putting my hard drive into another computer as a secondary hard drive?), but if it's not possible then I'd rather get it over with now.
Old 5th December, 2006, 12:17 AM

Sounds like driver security signatures could be fouled up:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/813442

A backup is a good idea and I'd say make a copy of any data you want out of 'Documents and Settings' and the 'Windows' directories in a non-windows directory (does recovery console let you do this ?) but Windows shouldn't touch any other directories on a fresh install option unless you ask it to format the partition (you do lose all program registry installs though.

Last edited by JimF; 5th December, 2006 at 12:20 AM.
Old 5th December, 2006, 02:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoney22
I did exactly what you told me to do and I'm getting an error after waiting hours for "Installing Windows"
It says:
Error:
Setup had problems registering the following OLE control DLL:

C:\WINDOWS\System32\initpki.dll

Contact your system administrator, who may provide assistance in diagnosing this problem.

Error:

The signature for Windows XP Home Edition Upgrade is invalid. The error code is 426.

The service has not been started.

Fatal Error:

Setup failed to install the product catalogs. This is a fatal error. The setup log files should contain more information.

(The same thing is repeated 2 more times.)
I need this computer to be running somewhat soon so please tell me if there's no chance that I can save it. Of course I would rather save the files I have on the computer (possibly by putting my hard drive into another computer as a secondary hard drive?), but if it's not possible then I'd rather get it over with now.
Hi,

I believe OLE files refer to XP authentication and activation. Are you using the same XP disk as the original install? This may be a bit complicated bu you can manually register your OLE.DLL
EVGA 7800GTXs 512mb SLI @ 591/1.75ghz
Soundblaster Live X gamer
2x30gb Maxtor IDE Raid 0 System
160bg Maxtor IDE Storage
Westinghouse 32 in LCD

Last edited by DaveBC; 5th December, 2006 at 02:54 AM.