AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > CRASHED!

CRASHED! A topic for SEVERE and immediate Hardware and Operating System FAILURES. We will try to get you up again. NOT for Optimization questions!

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 28th December, 2006, 01:03 AM

Send a message via ICQ to trodas Send a message via AIM to trodas Send a message via MSN to trodas

Question How much voltage can not naked Opty 148 handle?

Looks like that the main problem for my overclocking was the HTT clock, after lovering it down from 4x to 3x it was possible go higher with FSB w/o much problems.

http://www.slibe.com/fullimage/f592e...z_opty_jpg.jpg
http://valid.x86-secret.com/show_oc.php?id=148241

The Opty of mine however need voltage bump to get there. I used 1.450 + 0.20V (1.650Vcore, as with old AXP) to get it Prime stable. However it looks like I not getting under 28,3sec for 1M SuperPi.

All the fun ended up when I accidentialy select Vcore bump to 0.60V. The Sapphire A9RX480 Grouper posted well, but instead of boot, there is just flashing prompt line, no C: before it, just the line. And it never booted again. Looks like 2V is able to kill Opteron 148 very easily...

My fault, tough.

Anyone got any experiences of near 2V Opteron using? Mine was not "naked", yet watercooled. It posted, tough...
Old 28th December, 2006, 01:48 AM
Asst. BBS Administrator

Eep. I wish it was more difficult to blow things up. Just one moment of not paying careful attention... I doubt that you'll overvolt a processor like that again. I hope!
Old 28th December, 2006, 01:13 PM

Send a message via MSN to Samuknow

I did not realize that it would kill one like that.

I thought maybe eventually fry it but instant death...WOW.

I hate killed hardware...
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 28th December, 2006, 09:06 PM
Member/Contributor/Resident Crystal Ball

try cpu in other board, or clear CMOS on current board. It may post. 2.0v is enough heat to trip thermal diode and cause no0boot or partial boot. i cannot see 2.0v killing cpu that quickly unless it was not sufficently cooled.
Old 29th December, 2006, 05:07 AM

can't say I can help...never took my 148 above 1.60v though, and that was on water.
Old 30th December, 2006, 10:19 PM

Mmm don't be so afraid with the vcore guys...
I used to have my t-bred B 1700+ at 2.150v with a v12 cooling it. (really)

Years has pass and still there ,

Last edited by Artik2; 30th December, 2006 at 10:29 PM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 30th December, 2006, 10:33 PM

Send a message via ICQ to trodas Send a message via AIM to trodas Send a message via MSN to trodas

Red face

cloasters - I hope too for never doing such mistake again... Some Vcore options go simply way too high... (the board also can deliver 4.4V to DDR rams, so...)

Samuknow - it was not so instant, it posted... But that was it.

cadaveca - I tried that, including completely reflashing the bios on other mobo, but no luck. Maybe I just should give him more time? I get the CPU to cold (outside is like -6 at night, so...) and I try it again, if you think it could be live, but I dubt it - sadly.

Seperah - 1.60 is not much and mine was watercooled too. But not naked. Maybe if it was naked, it survived...

Artik2 - I'm not affraid, but the CPU is gone and it did 3Ghz, so, a bit of waste, eh? And temember that old AthlonXP are done with way different technology. Todays CPU's are done with much more sensitive technology... So that is why taking Vcore to 2V there require serious cooling (extremly good pelt powered chilled watercool or phase cool...) if the CPU has to last more that like seconds as in my case it was...
Believe that you fry your Opteron (especially the dual cores are even more sensitive) if you apply 2V to it
Old 30th December, 2006, 10:41 PM

I remember my old fellows telling: "I will not put mine beyond 1.8v" and then I came with mi 1700+ Shocking.

I never fry anything ('till now :P) so I guess I'm lucky.
Old 31st December, 2006, 01:43 AM

1.6v??? yeah, thats pretty good for a 939 chip bud, were not talking about AXP's here.
Old 9th January, 2007, 08:49 PM

Red face

Exactly. I have no problemo with driving AXP at 2.20Vcore... But these new chips, whoa whoa, one has to handle them with much more care
Old 9th January, 2007, 09:07 PM
Member/Contributor/Resident Crystal Ball

AXP was 130nm, Opty 170's 90nm. as the circuit is much smaller, it can handles less, naturally. This shortcoming can be overcome in various ways...my E6600 is perfect example...1.575v on 65nm 24/7.