AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > CRASHED!

CRASHED! A topic for SEVERE and immediate Hardware and Operating System FAILURES. We will try to get you up again. NOT for Optimization questions!

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 15th January, 2007, 01:44 PM

its strange cause all my cards die within around 8mths I dont overclock them my case temps are not silly high they just seem to give up on life.

5600FX Lived and is still kicking in my first built PC (now media station)
6800GT Died got money back
6800Ultra Died
7900GT seems to be going that way,

If I put an aftermarket cooler on there will this stop it or will it only slow the invetable death?

Cheers

Dave Killer of Gfx cards
Old 15th January, 2007, 02:30 PM
AOA Staff

My 6800U died after about 2 years, but only because I failed to clean all the dust off the fan quick enough!

I'm not keen on the stock cooling fans, with lots of tiny blades.

I think the aftermarket coolers which have the regular fans are less likely to get clogged up with dust, and easier to clean if they do.

I'll be keeping my eye out for a good 8800 cooler...
Old 15th January, 2007, 04:31 PM
Chief BBS Administrator

So RMA by fast mail!
."
DKE

"All that we do is touched by Ocean
Yet we remain on the shore of what we know."
Richard Wilbur

[img]/forum/attachments/random-nonsense/16515-sigs-dan_drag.jpg[/img]
Subscribers! Ask Pitch about a Custom Sig Graphic

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 15th January, 2007, 05:45 PM
Chief BBS Administrator

Lost four cards in under two months. 3 were a bit aged, but a bad power supply just eat right through them before I tumbled to what was wrong!
."
DKE

"All that we do is touched by Ocean
Yet we remain on the shore of what we know."
Richard Wilbur

[img]/forum/attachments/random-nonsense/16515-sigs-dan_drag.jpg[/img]
Subscribers! Ask Pitch about a Custom Sig Graphic

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 15th January, 2007, 09:12 PM

well just took my 7900 apart and gave it a real good clean out now gets to 65ish under load so well chuffed. Minibull have you checked the copper heatsink by the fan as all the dust in mine was stuck there blocking up all the airways
Old 18th January, 2007, 10:59 AM
Penguin Bashing Champion, Action Fish Champion, Cat Bowling Champion, Seconds Of Madness Champion

Hi guys, sorry for not posting but i am on holiday in Auckland.

Well i spoken to alot of computer technitians in Auckland and most of them said that it was overheating. The concrete proof is that the stores had been getting calls over the last week about peoples 7900GT's glitching out. The reason why is that the last week has been extremely hot and humid, easily reaching 30c or more. I have bought 2 zalman vf 900 CU's as well as an A8N SLI Premium. TwinX pc3500LL PRO might also be on the list. Couple that with a bit of oc'ing, and ill have a pretty sweet rig, as well as an oblivion capable second rig, using the old bits.

Ive now got to see if these coolers perform well. The reviews ive seen brought a card running at load from 75c to 50c. 55c is my idle temp. Ill post up results as soon as i can install them. one plus of these coolers is that they blow air all over the board, which should cool off the RAM Chips a bit better. regarding monkey man, if there is really hot air being blown out of the gpu by its fan, that air flows over the VGA RAM chips, effectivly heating them not cooling them. And it still only glitches in really hot weather.

Cheers
GPU: MSI 8800GTX HD-OC 610/1000 768MB
PSU: Thermaltake Toughpower 750W
Case: Thermaltake Shark Black Aluminium Case
HD: Hitachi 160GB 8MB Cache 7200rpm and a Western Digital WD2500KS 250GB 16MB Cache 7200rpm
Sound Card: Sound Blaster Audigy 2 ZS
Speakers: Logitech Z-640
DVD Burner: LG GSA-4163BBK Dual Layer
Old 18th January, 2007, 08:01 PM

Yeah let me know how it goes bud its around 18c here and mine is idle at 46c and running at 56-65 when on Rainbow 6