AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > CRASHED!

CRASHED! A topic for SEVERE and immediate Hardware and Operating System FAILURES. We will try to get you up again. NOT for Optimization questions!

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 12th January, 2007, 04:46 AM
Penguin Bashing Champion, Action Fish Champion, Cat Bowling Champion, Seconds Of Madness Champion

7900gt glitching

Im having a few problems with my computer.
I go into a game and start playing. The game runs fine for about 5 minutes but then weird glitches start to happen. weird walls of see through white start flying around the screen, textures dissaper, there are hole in the ground and bright lights start to fly out of the cars. Sometimes the screen flashes as well.

do you guys know what is causing this as it really pisses me off when i want to do a 1 hour endurance race.

Thanks
GPU: MSI 8800GTX HD-OC 610/1000 768MB
PSU: Thermaltake Toughpower 750W
Case: Thermaltake Shark Black Aluminium Case
HD: Hitachi 160GB 8MB Cache 7200rpm and a Western Digital WD2500KS 250GB 16MB Cache 7200rpm
Sound Card: Sound Blaster Audigy 2 ZS
Speakers: Logitech Z-640
DVD Burner: LG GSA-4163BBK Dual Layer

Last edited by Minibull; 12th January, 2007 at 04:47 AM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 12th January, 2007, 05:18 AM
Member/Contributer

Send a message via AIM to RussianMissile1

I can name a few things...

Heat Issues, bad/corrupted drivers, perhaps some physical defect with the card or its cooling solution, did you forget to plug in the 6pin extra power cable to the back of the card if it needs one?
Old 12th January, 2007, 06:10 AM
Penguin Bashing Champion, Action Fish Champion, Cat Bowling Champion, Seconds Of Madness Champion

i think it could be heat. i have had these cards since about march so i have never been through a summer with them. when playing games on a summer day, e.g. 30 C, the cards reach about 77C. This has only just started in the last few days, which have been quite hot. though, they could bee damaged.

Regarding the power connecter, im not a complete noob, of course its plugged in.
HD: Hitachi 160GB 8MB Cache 7200rpm and a Western Digital WD2500KS 250GB 16MB Cache 7200rpm
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 12th January, 2007, 08:58 AM
AOA Staff

77C under load is not so high.
Old 12th January, 2007, 09:33 AM
5 Card Draw Champion, Tomb Digger Champion, Alpha Force Champion, Autobahn Champion, Big Bird Hunting Champion, Mumu Champion, Attack of the Tweety Zombies Champion

Its not that high for the core of a 7900GT...however the three 7900 cards that I have used run in the high 50s under load, If the core is running 10-20c higher than usual then the memory (which on most 7900gt's is not cooled by ramsinks) is probably that much higher as well.

I am thinking that you might have a hot-spot in your case under/between your graphics cards....try running with the case-side off and point a fan under the graphics card.

Other things to try.....1. Make sure you are earthed and put your finger on one of the ram chips (assuming they are not covered) if they too hot to touch for more than a few seconds then this is likely the problem.

2. Install the latest drivers for your card after uninstalling the old ones using Drivercleaner

3. Check your cards are running at stock speeds.

4. Make sure your chipset fan is not dusty/dead

Join our F@H team today.. http://www.team45.info/
Are you a subscriber? No? well then, why not....
Subscribe to AOA for a better experience and faster downloads!
How to unlock and overclock your Nvidia 6800
BIOS Volt-mod your 7800gt

AOA Team fah

Last edited by MONKEYMAN; 12th January, 2007 at 09:37 AM.
Old 12th January, 2007, 04:35 PM
Chief BBS Administrator

Pretty nice check list there MonkeyMan!
Let's add:

Check the seating on your card. Have you tried to run you endurance test at stock speeds?
."
DKE

"All that we do is touched by Ocean
Yet we remain on the shore of what we know."
Richard Wilbur

[img]/forum/attachments/random-nonsense/16515-sigs-dan_drag.jpg[/img]
Subscribers! Ask Pitch about a Custom Sig Graphic

Old 12th January, 2007, 09:41 PM

well, its a cold rainy day here so the room temperature should be around 18C. I just given my pc a clean out a few days ago so there cannot be much dust in the different heatsinks.

Ive only just started to encounter this behavior in the hot weather we have had so i dont think that it is the seating or drivers that are causing it. Im using 91.47.

i also dont think having the case side off will help as i have two gills about the size of the motherboard, cut into the side panel. look at a thermaltake shark and youll see. they are only coverd by large honeycomb.

I just want to find out if this is a thermal issue cause then, getting two zalman vf900 copper coolers might do the trick. the tests ive seen showed it bringing load temp down to 50C from the 70s

Ill try your ram test and see if underclocking will stop it. i havnt overclocked by the way.
Old 13th January, 2007, 04:02 AM

i did the ram test and i couldnt keep my finger on one of the chips for more than 3 seconds. Ive also swapped the cards around and blew out their heatsinks again.
Old 13th January, 2007, 08:44 AM
AOA Staff

Is this the system RAM or video RAM which is hot to the touch?

If it's the system RAM, what voltage are you using?

Also, check the filter on your front intake fan to make sure it isn't clogged up with dust.
Old 13th January, 2007, 09:31 AM
5 Card Draw Champion, Tomb Digger Champion, Alpha Force Champion, Autobahn Champion, Big Bird Hunting Champion, Mumu Champion, Attack of the Tweety Zombies Champion

even if you have grilles on the side of the case, having the side off with a fan pointed in should eliminate any dead-sopts between the cards, if the video memory is that hot to the touch then I suspect that is the problem.

AOA Team fah
Old 13th January, 2007, 10:37 AM

Have you tried NVTemplogger ? - this should prove the GPU temperature issue one way or another.

Although the write up suggests the cards should handle over-temperature by reducing clock speeds I've found with the older cards that this condition seems to latch until I've performed a power down reset - is that ths situation here ?

It may be worth trying the cards one at a time.
Old 13th January, 2007, 10:54 AM
AOA Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by MONKEYMAN
even if you have grilles on the side of the case, having the side off with a fan pointed in should eliminate any dead-sopts between the cards, if the video memory is that hot to the touch then I suspect that is the problem.
I was wondering about this.

Looking at pics of the case, I'm not so keen on the side grilles. I can imagine that they may hamper air flow through the case. The rear fan will simply suck air through the grille right next to it, rather than draw air from deeper inside the case. Allowing possible dead spots.
Old 13th January, 2007, 01:01 PM

dont worry about case flow as i have a 120mm fan on the front wich can go to about 4000rpm. even with the side off, there is a huge amount of air flowing over the mobo and surrounding components. i had a front filter but i took it off. it hampered air flow I was touching the vga ram by the way. i almost burn myself after 2 seconds. if the vga ram is too hot, could that explain the deformed texture and missing textures, cause the textures are stored in the vga ram arnt they?
Old 13th January, 2007, 01:56 PM

Send a message via MSN to Samuknow

In a word yes.

Until I got my Ram sinks installed I had all kinds of strange things happening.
Old 13th January, 2007, 11:28 PM

So, vf900 CU LED, here i come.

Hope it works
Old 14th January, 2007, 02:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minibull
dont worry about case flow as i have a 120mm fan on the front wich can go to about 4000rpm. even with the side off, there is a huge amount of air flowing over the mobo and surrounding components.
If your ram is getting that hot then either you dont have enough airflow between the cards or they need RMAing

AOA Team fah
Old 14th January, 2007, 04:25 PM
Chief BBS Administrator

I think what Monkey Man is trying to get across is that cooling isn't always a straight forward affair. pockets of still air can form around components and raise their temps considerably above the case temp as a whole....I think...":O}
."
DKE

"All that we do is touched by Ocean
Yet we remain on the shore of what we know."
Richard Wilbur

[img]/forum/attachments/random-nonsense/16515-sigs-dan_drag.jpg[/img]
Subscribers! Ask Pitch about a Custom Sig Graphic

Old 15th January, 2007, 05:46 AM

Cheers Daniel~, Was tired when I wrote that....does come across a bit grumpy...

Yeah, what I am saying is that if your video RAM is getting that hot and isnt faulty/overvolted then there has to be insufficient airflow around those chips as they are not designed to run that hot.

If there is a good amount of airflow directly over those chips then they should be fairly hot to the touch but not burning, running at stock speeds I can hold my finger on my video RAM chips for as long as I like and the grossly overclocked 7900GT in a PC I was sorting out for a friend is only hot to the point where it starts to get uncomfortable after 10 seconds or so.

To sum up there are only 3 reasons why your memory should be that hot....

1. Overvolting.
2. Not enought direct airflow over the ram chips.
3. Faulty card.

Having an SLI system means poor airflow between cards unless you use a custom method, the air cannot escape from between the cards however much air is blasting round the case.

Solultions would either be a custom mounted fan betwen the cards, leaving the side off the case(sometimes effective) or having a side panel mounted fan in line with the gap between the cards.

Also check your chipset temperatures as often the chipset is located between the two cards.

AOA Team fah

Last edited by MONKEYMAN; 15th January, 2007 at 05:48 AM.
Old 15th January, 2007, 08:28 AM

Hi guys

I have been having the exact same problem, the thing is mine changed over night I did not change anything on my PC however for some reason the card started going from 55c under load right up to 75c and even rebooted my pc a few times in Need for Speed Carbon. I have blown out all dust and checked the fan, the only thing I can think of is that the fan is on its way out as I can hear something rattling the card isnt even a year old tho.
Old 15th January, 2007, 09:53 AM
AOA Staff

In time it will get worse, until eventually the card packs up completely. Death by slow cooking...