AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > CRASHED!

CRASHED! A topic for SEVERE and immediate Hardware and Operating System FAILURES. We will try to get you up again. NOT for Optimization questions!

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 19th January, 2007, 08:06 AM

Send a message via AIM to arliene21 Send a message via MSN to arliene21 Send a message via Yahoo to arliene21

8rdapro crash/high hopes

Hi every one little while since last log on.I am short on time it is late.Was playing fear 2 and pop! No vid or sound.Rebooted with start switch several times.Swapped vid card,reset cmos.Noticed (no led readout on motherboard)!Ooops I bought an after market 450 watt echo star a year ago.You folks advised when pc crashed last year get a power supply.So believe my first step will be new power supply.I have kept software in check.Maintained everything,cookies,cashe,def raged on regular basis. Darn should of backed up the hardrive!I did put sygate 5.6 firewall on last week.Even lets folding home receive and send all info.No monitoring.Well dang.I was clocking my 1900 amd to 3200.Crossing my fingers is power supply.Any other intel would b greatly appreciated.I dont know if ya ll remember I use 6600 nvidia as well.Sorry I dont have all the info about my pc as pretty as you folks do but I am still learning.Anyway gota get to bed.Thanx ~Andy ps glad I have a network of 5 pc s left whew!To communicate. high hopes Oh an folding home rules !!!
Old 19th January, 2007, 01:10 PM
Member/Contributer

Send a message via AIM to RussianMissile1

my brother's 8rdapro went poof the same way. just one day all of a sudden he cant boot it anymore, it just sat there with a blank screen.
hd should be recoverable if you put it as a slave in another PC.
actually now that i think about it, he had almost the same setup as you do.
if youre not getting the lights on the LED display, but the computer is turinging on it probably is the motherboard
Old 19th January, 2007, 02:33 PM

Turn off your PSU completely for a while. Wait around 30 secs and switch in back on while you look at the three leds on your keyboard. All three should flash on.
Normally when your board is powered but turned on there is a little LED that should have power and if you plug in the ethernet connector its leds should also be lighted.
I would not at all be surprised that your PSU has given up.
2x WD Raptors 74gb R0
2x Maxtor 300gb
Asus Geforce EN8800GT
Windoors XP Pro sp2

Download here OcBible 1.55 & Guidemania v1.21
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 19th January, 2007, 05:59 PM

Send a message via AIM to arliene21 Send a message via MSN to arliene21 Send a message via Yahoo to arliene21

Good morning guys!Ok shut down the psu.The ethernet conect led is lit.Was lit all along I even swapped keyboards.The numbers lock led on keyboard is functioning but have to admit all 3 lites do not flash as did on keyboard in past?Mmmm?Of coarse the led at bios on motherboard is not functioning still.Like I stated last night.I had a similar anomaly last year and when replaced power supply it was all back up to snuff.So am going to have my hazelnut coffee and fiddle around with the unit awhile.Thank you for the fast response ya'll!
Old 19th January, 2007, 09:52 PM

Hey fellers!Guess what! It was power supply it had gone poopy on me.So in future It might re occur.Wonder what did it.I got a new one same as 450 watt echo star.I probably should have spent 20 bucks more for a 650?I don't know did not have but 35 bucks for the one I just purchased.I am going to return the old one with receipt in hopes of some deal.But wont count on it.I only expert cpu clock 11.0 166 fs freq aggressive 200mh mem auto agp 66mh so did not think 450 watts was not bad.Any suggestions for the future will be appreciated.Folding home rules~Andy
Old 20th January, 2007, 04:32 PM

It's never really a bad idea to invest in a good PSU. Choose a good brand.

On nforce2 you should always try to run the memory synchronized with the FSB. So if your processor can take it and you're able to lower the multiplier, if needed, you should attempt 200Mhz FSB with 200Mhz memory.
If you haven't already, you should check out the bios date and update it if needed.
2x WD Raptors 74gb R0
2x Maxtor 300gb
Asus Geforce EN8800GT
Windoors XP Pro sp2

Download here OcBible 1.55 & Guidemania v1.21
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 26th January, 2007, 02:30 AM

Well alrighty then!I sure am already FSB 200Mhz That is 11.0 freq 200Mhz mem timing wont do anything but optimal AGP FREQ 66Mhz.And I confess I had my old roommate set it.And I copied info down and reset each time is a problem to what He originally set.I have magic bios for windows and is current.And have had the pc up and running a week now.Whew thought I had lost the ole girl!
Old 4th February, 2007, 06:39 AM
Asst. BBS Administrator

Welcome to AOA, arliene21!

Glad to hear that your machine is purring along. Up to date CPU's and Vidcards tend to be gluttons for power. 450 Watts is considered to be a bit behind the curve nowadays. If you can afford it, 650 Watts is better. However, cheap PSU's can wreck your week. It's always something!