AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > CRASHED!

CRASHED! A topic for SEVERE and immediate Hardware and Operating System FAILURES. We will try to get you up again. NOT for Optimization questions!

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 27th January, 2007, 12:33 PM

PC suddenly stops booting up

Hi guys, I'm new here hopefully you will be able to help me.

I built a new PC in December (Have not done any overclocking to it)

Everything was working fine until this morning, I tried to turn it on - a blue LED on the front of the case glows and the fan whirs for about 2 seconds and then it dies.
I find this very odd as it was working last night without any problem whatsoever - I have done nothing to it that could cause this problem.

I opened up the case to have a look and have spotted no immediate problems thus I am hopelesly confused.

I have in the machine:

Asus a8v-vm motherboard
Athlon 2.2ghz
Geforce 7600gt
1k ram
1 40gb standard hard drive (boots Windows)
1 250gb Sata2 hard drive

I'd appreciate any help or solutions, thank you very much!
Old 27th January, 2007, 01:05 PM
5 Card Draw Champion, Tomb Digger Champion, Alpha Force Champion, Autobahn Champion, Big Bird Hunting Champion, Mumu Champion, Attack of the Tweety Zombies Champion

Before posting try this first!

Try some of the steps in here, I would suggest checking the PSU and Motherboard in particular.

Also try the long-winded way of clearing the CMOS. (check above link)

Join our F@H team today.. http://www.team45.info/
Are you a subscriber? No? well then, why not....
Subscribe to AOA for a better experience and faster downloads!
How to unlock and overclock your Nvidia 6800
BIOS Volt-mod your 7800gt

AOA Team fah
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 27th January, 2007, 01:38 PM

Thank you for the reply, I followed the link and decided to try resetting the CMOS.

In the manual the instructions to say to take the battery out first. How on earth do you do this, its such a tiny little thing I'm scared that I'll break its casing if I pry it out with a screwdriver. Is this really necessary or can I just reset it with the jumpers without taking out the battery first?

Also, how will this affect my current BIOS settings? Will it be simple enough to re-configure it after the CMOS is reset?

Thank you
Old 27th January, 2007, 03:30 PM

Battery should spring out easy enough - look for the little clip on it. Depress it- and hey presto.

As for bios settings - I wouldnt worry about those for the moment. trouble shooting and getting it back up and running are first priorty.
Old 27th January, 2007, 04:30 PM

Hey guys, thanks for the help I've sorted the problem out.

The problem was actually the power supply, I'm not sure exactly what the problem is but I think it was just not powerful enough (was 350w) I had a spare 500w and tried that and it worked. Lets hope it stays that way!
Old 27th January, 2007, 04:58 PM
Member/Contributer

Cheap power supplys can always be a problem.

The initial boot up is where the PSU is put under the most stress, you should make sure that 500W psu is a decent one before you become too comfortable. Check it genuinely is a 500W and not a 500W 'Peak' unit. Check what the max amperage is on the 3.3V, 5V and 12V and if it also gives a max output on those lines combined.

Tobias F√ľnke, M.D.

AOA Team fah

Last edited by GrahamGarside; 27th January, 2007 at 05:00 PM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 27th January, 2007, 05:25 PM

Hey again...

I've run into a more serious problem, actually quite an embaressing one.

First of all I unplugged the old PSU (with it still being mounted in the case) and had the new one on the side of the case and plugged it all in, tested it and everything worked perfectly.

I then took the old one out of the case and mounted the new one. However when I turned the computer on it started smoking and there was a horrible smell of burning rubber. On close inspection the rubber around the power cables of floppy disk drive had melted.

I hope (really hope) that its only the floppy disk drive thats affected and not anything else. Would it be safe to un-plug it and try turning the PC back on again?

Thanks again.
Old 3rd February, 2007, 05:49 AM

Send a message via MSN to mobius_13

Yikes! That sounds crazy. What is...or was the brand of the PSU? Also did you check the rails and the peek wattage as posted above? Let us know how you make out.
AMD A64 X2 Manchester @ 2640Mhz
DFI nF4 Ultra-D
G.Skill 2x1GB DDR400 @ 240Mhz
EVGA 8800GTS 640Mb @ 600/1800
Audigy2 ZS Gamer LE
WD 160GB S-ATA II
Old 3rd February, 2007, 05:09 PM
Chief BBS Administrator

It unfortunity sounlds like you shorted out and fried your power supply. No telling what it might have taken with it....sorry.
."
DKE

"All that we do is touched by Ocean
Yet we remain on the shore of what we know."
Richard Wilbur

[img]/forum/attachments/random-nonsense/16515-sigs-dan_drag.jpg[/img]
Subscribers! Ask Pitch about a Custom Sig Graphic

Last edited by Daniel ~; 3rd February, 2007 at 05:10 PM.