AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > CRASHED!

CRASHED! A topic for SEVERE and immediate Hardware and Operating System FAILURES. We will try to get you up again. NOT for Optimization questions!

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 9th February, 2007, 05:19 AM

Send a message via MSN to WonderBread Send a message via Yahoo to WonderBread

Help!

Ok, so I got a new board, Asrock 939 DualSATAII, and an A-64 3000+.

After reformatting everything went without a hitch until I got got the video card driver. The progress bar gets to about half way then the screen flickers once, comes back then does it again but stays at a blank black screen and the computer is non-responsive.

I've gotten the latest 2.30 AGP driver from Asrocks website. I updated the BIOS to the latest version. Removed the driver completely once and reinstalled it but it still does it. I also changed the primary video device to AGP in the bios, turned off fastwrites. I'm lost now.

My video card works great (eVga 6800GS AGP), it worked 4 hours before I tore my computer apart to put the new board and cpu in.

A quick response would be greatly appreciated since its my primary computer.

EDIT: I've now reformatted and i'm still getting the issue. I followed the steps here but I'm stumped. http://forums.ocworkbench.com/bbs/as...faq-40579.html

Last edited by WonderBread; 9th February, 2007 at 07:41 AM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 9th February, 2007, 09:22 AM
Member/Contributer

What chipset is that? Are Asrock's drivers as up to date as the ones on the chipset manufacturers website?

Have you tested more than one video driver version?

Tobias Fünke, M.D.

AOA Team fah
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 9th February, 2007, 09:50 AM
Benchmarker

Send a message via Yahoo to chrisbard

Hell yeah I got that in my case the driver file was corrupted and each time would stop after the blink and then the XP installation in my case was gone, somehow it was messing my boot sector so I say go for another driver and let us know !

Graham what have you done with your old avatar, it was cute, this one, hmmm

PS JK
I've heard that linux community came up with better implemented security in it's latest Linux Mint Gold version, it's actually preventing the user to log in, thus posing 0 risk in contamining the computer with malware! Well done to the open source community!

Last edited by chrisbard; 9th February, 2007 at 09:51 AM.
Old 9th February, 2007, 11:19 AM

Yes, try another driver. Otherwise try to install it using safe mode.

Plug in a molex from a dedicated line from the PSU in the aux power connector.
2x WD Raptors 74gb R0
2x Maxtor 300gb
Asus Geforce EN8800GT
Windoors XP Pro sp2

Download here OcBible 1.55 & Guidemania v1.21
Old 9th February, 2007, 04:34 PM

I've updated the driver from the manufactuer's web site and tried bot the 91.31 and 93.71 and i still have the same problem.

When i installed in safe mode I got the video card driver to install but when i went into real mode all i got was a light blue screen and an hour glass.
Old 9th February, 2007, 10:01 PM

problem solved. I need to have the AGP P2P Deep Fifo setting enabled in the BIOS

Last edited by WonderBread; 9th February, 2007 at 10:18 PM.
Old 10th February, 2007, 03:32 PM
AOA's resident barman

Send a message via ICQ to Favu Send a message via AIM to Favu Send a message via MSN to Favu

Glad you got it sorted wonderbread!

Custom 8-bit Sharp Z80 @ 4.194304 MHz
Reflective LCD @ 160 × 144
8 kByte S-RAM

Old 10th February, 2007, 03:36 PM

Send a message via MSN to Samuknow

Quote:
Originally Posted by WonderBread
problem solved. I need to have the AGP P2P Deep Fifo setting enabled in the BIOS

????? Say what...?????
Old 10th February, 2007, 05:22 PM

idk, all i know is that it has something to do with the bridge chips is the AGP cards that are natively PCIe. Mines not and it didn't like that setting in auto.
Old 10th February, 2007, 06:02 PM

Send a message via MSN to Samuknow

OIC

Thanks
Old 10th February, 2007, 06:22 PM
Member/Contributer

I think your card is native AGP but is your board one that has pci-e and agp slots? In which case it's likely it's a bridge chip on the board.

Tobias Fünke, M.D.

AOA Team fah
Old 10th February, 2007, 07:31 PM

ya, its the hybrid. now that is running i just need to figure out how to OC A-64.
Old 10th February, 2007, 08:44 PM
Member/Contributer

First you need to find the settings to lock the clock speeds of the pci and pci-e bus.

Overclocking an A64 isn't a simple matter of fsb. Basically there is the fsb which by default is 200mhz. From this the HT bus runs on a multiplier of either 4x or 5x depending on the cpu, I think your S939 chip is 5x. Then there is the memory controller which is on the cpu die not the northbridge, this runs either in sync or on a divider of the 200mhz bus.

So to overclock the cpu you need to make sure the HT bus and memory aren't the limitting factor by lowering the HT multiplier and memory divider to their lowest options.

Then you raise the fsb speed to increase the cpu speed.

Once you've found the cpu's max you then can go about getting the HT bus and memory divider back to settings giving full speed.

So for example a 1.8ghz A64 overclocked to 2.4ghz would need the fsb setting to 266mhz, the HT multiplier to either 3x or 4x giving 800mhz or 1.06ghz depending on which was stable and the ram divider setting to 3/4 or DDR300 if it's only DDR400 ram.

Tobias Fünke, M.D.

AOA Team fah
Old 11th February, 2007, 10:11 AM
Member/Contributer

In response to your pm this gives a pretty good overview of Athlon 64 overclocking:

http://www.madshrimps.be/?action=gethowto&howtoID=58

Just remember don't set any silly voltages, make sure you know how to reset the cmos and don't work on anything critical without first ensuring an overclock is 100% stable.

Tobias Fünke, M.D.

AOA Team fah
Old 12th February, 2007, 02:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrahamGarside
In response to your pm this gives a pretty good overview of Athlon 64 overclocking:

http://www.madshrimps.be/?action=gethowto&howtoID=58

Just remember don't set any silly voltages, make sure you know how to reset the cmos and don't work on anything critical without first ensuring an overclock is 100% stable.

lol If is didn't know this already I shouldn't be using a computer!