AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > CRASHED!

CRASHED! A topic for SEVERE and immediate Hardware and Operating System FAILURES. We will try to get you up again. NOT for Optimization questions!

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 25th March, 2002, 05:15 PM
eobard

Hard drive & motherboard & CPU, oh ****!

I had had problems before putting the new vid and sound cards in my system but the problems are now unsurmountable. It used to be that sometimes the system would not complete a boot if I shut down and powered back up. I'd have to reboot a few times to get it to boot completely. An Incomplete boot would result in the system getting as far as the desktop, it'd try to load my anti virus program or PROBE but it'd hang there. Now it won't complete a boot at all unless in safe mode. Even with my cpu volt mod disconnected and the bus rate at 100 and only 1,000mhz speed it won't boot normal but with the volt mod on and the speed settings higher it will boot in safe mode. It isn't the power supply, I've an Antec 300 and the numbers are very good. I'm pretty sure it's the harddrive, I put in a 420meg and it boots that one fine everytime, but I'm wondering if the board or chip might be the problem. I'm not sure how to visualize a bad hard drive mostly booting and occasionally completing a boot (and always completeing a boot to safe mode!) The drive doesn't grind or make other noise. What do you all think. I'm really hanging for answers here people, I'm typing this on my K6-2.
Old 25th March, 2002, 05:50 PM
Mars Rover Champion, Joust Champion

Send a message via MSN to Kaitain Send a message via Skype™ to Kaitain

Could also be a knackered IDE cable.

The computer I built a couple of weeks ago failed to install Windows twice, finally installing a mutilated copy that failed to boot.

Swapping round hardware etc didn't rectify it, but eventually I reassembled everything in the wrong order, and put the ATA100 cable onto the CDROM and an older ATA33 cable onto the hard drive, at which point it worked fine.

Replacing the knackered ATA100 cable solved all the machine's problems.

The fact that it works when you put an old 420mb drive in suggests that this might be a problem (such an old drive will be PIO mode 4 or less).

Try that for $5 before replacing your drive?
Old 25th March, 2002, 06:06 PM
eobard

Yeah the 420 is PIO4. I actually dug out my spare ide's just in case that was the informed diagnosis. The problem just seems so strange with safe mode booting 100% so I figured, same cable in safe mode so it must be good. Does safe mode run in PIO instead of ATA? I'll give it a shot now. Please pray/hope/wish/whatever for me to be back in 3 minutes with good results.

Thanks.
Old 25th March, 2002, 06:14 PM

Quote:
Does safe mode run in PIO instead of ATA?
Safe mode merely stops windows from loading all your drivers, personal settings and custom startup files (basically a "barebones" run of windows).

The problem I found was that the data was getting corrupted when the HD was accessing many parts of the disc simultaneously (eg while loading McAfee and all my hardware), it was just dying.
Old 25th March, 2002, 06:28 PM
eobard

Well it's back up but switching cables didn't solve the problem. It still threw 2 fits before completing a boot. I also unplugged the network cable so it wouldn't go looking around for updates to anti virus software and such, maybe that helped complete the boot. The stupid thing is once it's running it's rock solid. I guess it's like what you were saying about trying to load everything at once stuff gets corrupted. Is that a sign of a dying drive? I may be back up with the system now but I've got to solve this.
Old 25th March, 2002, 06:32 PM

Which anti-virus software are you using? I've seen aborted boots happen a lot with Norton Antivirus. Try disabling that at bootup - you can always activate it later...
Old 25th March, 2002, 06:36 PM
eobard

Pc-Cillin 2000. I'm afraid to try. If I reboot I may not get the system back.

Know of any good (free) A-V's if Pc-Cillin is the problem?
Old 25th March, 2002, 06:38 PM
eobard

Cross your fingers and pray, I'm goin' in!

edit: 1 completed boot, perfect. If that's all it was I'm gonna be soooo pissed!

double edit: Second boot and it's still a bit shakey. There's got to be more to it.

Last edited by eobard; 25th March, 2002 at 06:55 PM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 26th March, 2002, 12:46 AM

What other programs load at boot time? Is it worth disabling them all one by one, and in varying combinations until you get perfect boots every time?

I found I couldn't run a virus checker AND a startup sound sample at the same time on one system I owned.