AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > CRASHED!

CRASHED! A topic for SEVERE and immediate Hardware and Operating System FAILURES. We will try to get you up again. NOT for Optimization questions!

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 18th March, 2007, 08:26 PM

Send a message via MSN to skool h8r

URGENT: XP Display Corruption

Hi all,
i've just been optimising my rig (defrag and tweaks). I then restarted (checking soundcard fix). when i restarted, the display had gone to 4-bit @ 640x480. I restarted again, same thing. Restarted once more, exact same. I've loosened my memory timings, removed one stick of ram, removed my soundcard and it's still the same. The XP bootscreen is as usual - 16 bit @ whatevere resolution but when i get to XP login screen, that's when it starts. Even if i login to a secondary account (one i use for installing drivers), and try to change it, Windows just changes it back. The 7600GT is being picked up but for some reason, everything is 4-bit. Anyone got a solution? And oh yeah, this is only happening in XP.

Cheers,
Scott.

YouTube - Benchmark Results (Coming Soon!)
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 18th March, 2007, 08:36 PM
AOA Staff

What tweaks did you do exactly?
Old 18th March, 2007, 08:39 PM
AOA's resident barman

Send a message via ICQ to Favu Send a message via AIM to Favu Send a message via MSN to Favu

Last time I had this happen on my friends GeForce 440 something or other.

That card never recovered and had to be replaced.

I took it then that it was a dead/damaged graphics chip. Since all graphics cards have a built in VGA part that will run without drivers. And all resolutions above that use a different part of the GPU core AIUI. Looks like you might have damaged your card overvolting or playing with the memory settings in the VGA BIOS.

Speaking of which, have you tried re-flashing back to the stock VGA BIOS?

Custom 8-bit Sharp Z80 @ 4.194304 MHz
Reflective LCD @ 160 × 144
8 kByte S-RAM

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 18th March, 2007, 08:42 PM
AOA Staff

Tried booting Windows in safe mode?
Old 18th March, 2007, 09:20 PM

Hmmm, i booted into safe mode, uninstalled display drivers, rebooted into normal XP. Would change res and depth just fine. I've reinstalled drivers and it's all fine now.

The tweaks, well, it's my standard optimisations that i regularly carry out. The only thing that was different this time is i defragged all my drives.

My soundcard is seriously spivving out now. Kinda like scratchy squeling sounds. Think this is the squeal of death people have been going on about. I think i'm gonna RMA it back and get a different one. It's just getting too much for me to handle now, i really can't do with all this system messing everythime i want audio. I think an auzentech EMU404 may be in the line next. It certainly ain't another Creative card.

Old 18th March, 2007, 11:38 PM
Steve Jobs

My thoughts exactly

The EMU0404 just works... no issues... no driver problems... great sound quality, audibly superior to that of an X-Fi, and its cheap as hell. The whole not requiring kitchen utensils to make it work correctly is also a positive.

Are you still using your alfoil EMI shield thing-a-ma-jig?
Running Fedora 15 Linux (GNOME 3)
Dual Dell 2407WFP
AOA Team fah

Drivers, Games, Demos, Mods and Overclocking Tools At AOAFiles
Old 18th March, 2007, 11:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsio
My thoughts exactly

The EMU0404 just works... no issues... no driver problems... great sound quality, audibly superior to that of an X-Fi, and its cheap as hell. The whole not requiring kitchen utensils to make it work correctly is also a positive.

Are you still using your alfoil EMI shield thing-a-ma-jig?
Certainly am. I don't think it's working though. I think i need a foil hat as well, stop this thing frying my brain. Which reminds me, i plugged my earphones in the other day, set up the audio console. They're Koss Sparkplug earphones (hmmm, link?). Now, when i put them in i could hear a faint bassy sound. So, i started to mess about with the connector, but when i touched the case chassis, the sound disappeared! So, is the X-Fi potentially unsafe as well? Well, i don't like it when i get current flowing through my body, especially if it's linked to a 580W PSU (through the PCI slot)!

Thing is, does the EMU-0404 have EAX? I really need EAX and poitional audio, that's one of the reasons for choosing an X-Fi in the first place. Also, i can't find it anywhere in the uk. I'm still considering sending the card back and using onboard audio, it's easier, if not desirable.

And if there's one song that does suit the X-fi when it's working, it's "Born to raise hell" by Motorhead.

Last edited by skool h8r; 18th March, 2007 at 11:54 PM.
Old 19th March, 2007, 09:39 AM
5 Card Draw Champion, Tomb Digger Champion, Alpha Force Champion, Autobahn Champion, Big Bird Hunting Champion, Mumu Champion, Attack of the Tweety Zombies Champion

EAX isn't so important really, it may add some realism in the way the effects sound in different environments, however quality is lost some of the time.

Join our F@H team today.. http://www.team45.info/
Are you a subscriber? No? well then, why not....
Subscribe to AOA for a better experience and faster downloads!
How to unlock and overclock your Nvidia 6800
BIOS Volt-mod your 7800gt

AOA Team fah
Old 19th March, 2007, 10:13 AM
AOA Staff
Asteroids Champion, Maeda Path Champion, Disco Racer Champion, Alpha Bravo Charlie Champion, Van Champion

Send a message via MSN to Pitch

Quote:
Originally Posted by skool h8r
Also, i can't find it anywhere in the uk.
http://www.dv247.com/manufacturer/E-MU/1673
http://www.etcetera.co.uk/products/EMU005.shtml
http://www.dolphinmusic.co.uk/page/s...roduct_id/3844

XBL/PNS = neolad
Old 19th March, 2007, 01:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MONKEYMAN
EAX isn't so important really, it may add some realism in the way the effects sound in different environments, however quality is lost some of the time.
I know that a lot of people don't like it because "gunshots sound like an old man farting into a colostomy bag", but it is something i appreciate. It might be something that some of you have the option of using, but choose not to. I know that i prefer games to be as real as possible, even if it does mean sacrificing some quality. I've listened to 64kbps MP3's both with and without the X-Fi so i'm not an audiophile in any way shape or form.

If i do get another card, it's gonna be one that has EAX, and is 5.1 compatible. But looking at it, the X-Fi seems to work after the system has been off for a few hours. And now that i'm not OC'ing, i shouldn't BSOD or freeze up as much. Things seem so much easier without OC'ing (except graphics). I'll also save some money as i won't have to buy the Tuniq Tower that i was planning. I'm still gonna change the fans to some Arctic cooling ones though .

But yeah, i didn't even know there was a 4-bit option in XP SP2! I thought the minimum was 16-bit. My god, when it happened, i really wanted to see what CSS was like but i knew it wouldn't let me even start the game.

And thanks for the links Pitch

Last edited by skool h8r; 19th March, 2007 at 01:07 PM.
Old 20th March, 2007, 02:52 AM

[QUOTE=skool h8r]...gunshots sound like an old man farting into a colostomy bag, but it is something i appreciate.QUOTE]

somehow I feel like we've all just seen a completely new side to you.

woulda claimed a bit uva TMI on that one myself, but I'm too busy lmao over here.

wayta turn a phrase, h8r.
Old 20th March, 2007, 06:23 PM
Chief BBS Administrator

Well everyone has their own audio equipment, it blends with the hardware as best it can.":O}

Recently acquired the Inferno, very happy with in games, but especially pleased with it for music listening... Runs on the C-media Oxygen HD chip. Has EAX X2 (primitive) and I really like it's sound...you might not! ":O}

BTW, the software is simplicity itself, no bloatware, just the driver and a surround and setup utility. I'm happy. But I don't use it for anything special beyond listening and games. My one concern is it's lack of OpenAL support, I'm hoping this will be addressed in the drivers....who knows!? ":O}
."
DKE

"All that we do is touched by Ocean
Yet we remain on the shore of what we know."
Richard Wilbur

[img]/forum/attachments/random-nonsense/16515-sigs-dan_drag.jpg[/img]
Subscribers! Ask Pitch about a Custom Sig Graphic

Last edited by Daniel ~; 20th March, 2007 at 07:29 PM.
Old 21st March, 2007, 02:04 AM

Question

I've got a crazy question --

was your os install originally SP2...

or was it upgraded to SP2 via web?

Only reason I'm asking is bcuz of the corruption problems MS had over the SP2 upgrade... which sometimes wouldn't show up right away, or until a particularly peculiar defrag.

ok, so maybe there's more lurking under the bonnet than just a stray vid driver, is what I'm saying...

even tho it may as well smack of hardware related issues here and there.

i know it sounds past topic, or resolution, i was just curious. thx
Old 21st March, 2007, 02:16 AM

Send a message via MSN to Samuknow

I still wonder if your bleeding edge OC had a little to do with it. You have admitted to pushing it a little too far.
Old 21st March, 2007, 04:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samuknow
I still wonder if your bleeding edge OC had a little to do with it. You have admitted to pushing it a little too far.
Yeah, the original post made me think he already had fracked drivers too.

Then, in his second post, he came back with the dump drivers scenario and rebooted cleaned up. hmm...

That's why the os corruption question ~ {single(?).. or multiple causes?}

Also, that clock on the card sig alone used to say something completely different, didn't it?
[Make note -- better check pci-e card for evidence of blood stains also ]