AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > CRASHED!

CRASHED! A topic for SEVERE and immediate Hardware and Operating System FAILURES. We will try to get you up again. NOT for Optimization questions!

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 21st March, 2007, 10:01 AM

Send a message via AIM to bonesaw

4 small problems

1. i got this weird "pick which account to sign into this right before my desktop comes up on boot up and cant get rid of it. and there is only one account on the computer. it says admin and put in password and since i had nothing to do with this there is no password and you can just hit enter to bypass it.
2. when opening firefox it always opens not fullscreen and the only toolbar i use is always open, wasn't like this before.
3. i used to go to a site this one included and would auto log in without hitting log in or typing. now that doesn't work
4. my camera says it cant connect when i plug the usb cord from my computer to my camera. never needed software or anything worked doing the same thing i tried months ago.

i realized that these are small problems, but i am still very new to computers and for the life of me cant figure these out. software has got to be my weakest point in computers. i thought i could live with theses problems but i am getting really mad now. if some one could help me with just one of these my life would be that much easier.

side note: just finished my dads computer, got to give it some time, oc it, and see what difference is first hand between the 4 mb of cache vs 2mb.
g. skill 6400 5-5-5-15-2t 4 gigs
Evga 450 gts
Thermaltake Armor
Ocz700w
300gb Seagate ide + Seagate 750gb sata
Logitech thx 5300 5.1
Acer 19' wide al1916w
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 22nd March, 2007, 03:57 AM

#1 go into control panel \ user accounts; select change way users log on and off; uncheck fast user switching and welcome screen.

however, if you just installed programs which required a dot net application installed as well, that is likely one of the reasons you show a welcome screen function now (whereas you didn't before). some pc monitoring software will occasionally request / require this, for security purposes.

#2 glitch on this

#3 scripts that hold login info are stored in cookies (but also sometimes built into temp internet files -- I screen mine). If you recently deleted temp internet files and cookies for some reason, there's your probable cause. maybe u were just doing some cleanup(?)

#4 are there any other usb devices having problems? could try uninstalling all usb devices from device manager, then reboot and check to see if all hubs etc load drivers. there have been some instances lately where a device defies recognition, due to a driver conflict with os development -- the ohci driver seems 2 b the most common, but usually is the result of driver corruption. try installing specific drivers from mfg for device complained about, failing all else...

but as long as you have hidden and system files visible, if a device tries to seek / ask for a specific driver from your OS install disk, either u or it will be able to find it there. kinda weird, I know.

er.. unless you've got a very generous bug.

Last edited by YadaMaker; 22nd March, 2007 at 04:00 AM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 22nd March, 2007, 04:22 AM

1 thanks yadamaker
2 i think has to do with three
3 seems like some kind of security issue because its not the cookie or temps because when i type b bonesaw comes up. and i hit remember me and it never works.
4 get to that sooner or later.
Evga 450 gts
Thermaltake Armor
Ocz700w
Logitech thx 5300 5.1
Acer 19' wide al1916w

Last edited by bonesaw; 22nd March, 2007 at 04:23 AM.
Old 22nd March, 2007, 10:43 PM

"when i type b bonesaw comes up" is a history function of IE embedded, actually.

"and i hit remember me and it never works" sounds like the script security controls of IE got modified (by program or OS).
Of course, if you go into Internet Properties / Security, and on all 4 zones click Default Level, the condition may clear.
Try to make a note of what settings are before and after you throw the switch, and it may give more clues to where all that may be headed.. or not headed.

Yeah-anyway, if it helps, or shakes something familiar loose, right?
Old 28th March, 2007, 10:19 PM

i fixed number three it had to do with cookies and i had it set to delete as soon as i exit firefox. any one got any help on 2 ?
Evga 450 gts
Thermaltake Armor
Ocz700w
Logitech thx 5300 5.1
Acer 19' wide al1916w
Old 29th March, 2007, 12:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonesaw
i fixed number three it had to do with cookies and i had it set to delete as soon as i exit firefox. any one got any help on 2 ?
Cool.

Only wish I used Firefox about that one.