AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > CRASHED!

CRASHED! A topic for SEVERE and immediate Hardware and Operating System FAILURES. We will try to get you up again. NOT for Optimization questions!

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 6th April, 2007, 05:12 PM

No Bios on New MB

I am getting a little disgusted with Asus. I set up a system with an Asus Crosshair MB a little while ago and had strange problems from the start.

After lots of troubleshooting I found that there was a cold solder joint on one of the legs of a capacitor and that it only made contact sometimes. I returned the board and they (the dealer) replaced it.

After putting the system back together again I powered it up and got a "Bios checksum error" and it refused to boot past that screen. I cleared the CMOS and tried again with the same results. I can not even get into the Bios which makes sense if the Bios is bad or non-existant.

I then booted off of the MB DVD (which has Award Bios Flash and the original Bios on it) and it started to load the bios but then just froze. I also tried to flash the Bios using a floppy with the same results. It starts Award and identifies the Bios to flash, I get a "please wait" notice and it just hangs. I gave it 2 hrs in this state before I gave up. It should only take a couple of minutes to flash.

I am pretty sure that i am just SOL and will have to return this board also but thought I would see if anyone here had any suggestions on how I might work around this.

Thanks

Last edited by Lancer33; 6th April, 2007 at 05:13 PM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 6th April, 2007, 06:51 PM

Send a message via MSN to captinhector

Sounds to me like either a new bios chip is in order or a rma.... sry that your having sooo much trouble.

Diablotek Demon IV
700w Tagan Dual Engine
AMD Athlon 64 3800+ x2 @ 2.7ghz under water
Asus A8N32-SLI Delux
EVGA 9800GT STOCK
2gig of A-Data Viesta DDR 1 @ 516 mhz
Http://www.thepeoplesbookstore.com
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 6th April, 2007, 07:23 PM

Did you try with the least possible hardware attached? This kind of thing is possible when the memory isn't working as it should. Take out one stick and try again.
If it still acts up in the same way, then return the board. It might be the bios chip, which is very likely socketed, but that's not entirely certain. So RMA the board, again.

Tough luck m8
2x WD Raptors 74gb R0
2x Maxtor 300gb
Asus Geforce EN8800GT
Windoors XP Pro sp2

Download here OcBible 1.55 & Guidemania v1.21
Old 7th April, 2007, 12:36 AM
Asst. BBS Administrator

I'm in such a hurry to buy another Asus board. I've had five of them with never a problem, but it sounds like their QC department has been on vacation for a few months. Not good. Maybe Giga-Byte the next time.
Old 7th April, 2007, 01:47 AM

Yes, I tried with minimum hardware, also pulled the G.Skill out and tried with Corsair...same problem.

It is a socketed chip but I have no other compatable system to try and hot flash with. Guess I will see if Asus will ship me a programmed chip.

I switched to DFI on sckt 939 because of this type of issue...guess I may be headed that way again.

Thanks for the help.
Old 7th April, 2007, 04:29 PM
Chief BBS Administrator

Did you try flashing more than once? It's scary I know, but I've succeeded several time in the past on the second or third try after failing. I'd try it again and see if it can get past the hang up.
."
DKE

"All that we do is touched by Ocean
Yet we remain on the shore of what we know."
Richard Wilbur

[img]/forum/attachments/random-nonsense/16515-sigs-dan_drag.jpg[/img]
Subscribers! Ask Pitch about a Custom Sig Graphic

Old 7th April, 2007, 08:09 PM

Send a message via ICQ to python134r Send a message via AIM to python134r Send a message via MSN to python134r Send a message via Yahoo to python134r

You might be able to get a chip from them, I once got a chip from Abit for a mobo I had issues with a few years back.

See this>>ASUS CrashFree BIOS 3
The ASUS CrashFree BIOS 3 allows users to restore corrupted BIOS data from a USB flash disk containing the BIOS file. This utility saves users the cost and hassle of buying a replacement BIOS chip.

Did u try it that way?
Old 8th April, 2007, 11:56 PM

Just wanted to thank everyone for their input. It appears to be a bad Bios chip and the vendor is going to try and get a new one from Asus.

Seing as how this is the 4th Asus board I have had die in the last 18 months, 2 of them in the last month, I have decided to go back to DFI.

The UTNF590 SLI M2R/G is rated just slightly lower than the Crosshair in performance but I have never had any problems with DFI boards.

Again, thanks for the help.
Old 9th April, 2007, 02:45 PM

Send a message via MSN to Samuknow

I have been with DFI for quite a few years. I have never been let down.