AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > CRASHED!

CRASHED! A topic for SEVERE and immediate Hardware and Operating System FAILURES. We will try to get you up again. NOT for Optimization questions!

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 17th April, 2007, 08:40 PM

Send a message via MSN to Ultimate_death

Audio and games wipes out my computer

I've been having crashes for the last few weeks, and after watching what's been happening i've worked out what conditions make it happen but i can't even guess why they make my pc crash.

The crash is quite weird, and seems rather unhealthy, the computer just locks up entirely with a loud grating noise through the headphones, and one screen goes black and the other is black with a kind of random ripping effect of other colours. After it my Pc loads up fine with a restart but i've found it only happens if i'm playing a game with audio playing in the background.

BF2 crashes instanly, STALKER after a few mins and css after ten mins or so, but this only happens if i have some kind of audio thing running in the background, i get no crashes otherwise.

I've tried several things and checked stuff. My temperatures are all fine, Memtest86+ passes with no errors, and i left prime95 running all day with no problems, so i think that probably rules out any hardware problems.

I tried moving all my sound stuff to another hardrive (not just partition) to the game, but that made no difference and i tried using a varietyt of media players. I also reinstalled my sound, video drivers and directx but it makes on difference. Also the crahses started after no changes or new software that could cause this kind of problem, i've oinly installed games recently and everything was running fine till this started happening.

Any ideas on what could be causing this crazy crashing?

Thanks
Old 18th April, 2007, 01:39 AM

Send a message via ICQ to python134r Send a message via AIM to python134r Send a message via MSN to python134r Send a message via Yahoo to python134r

Post your specs, It'll help. Sounds like a driver problem, what vid card and which drivers?
Old 18th April, 2007, 08:10 AM

X2 3800+
1.5GB pc3200
6800GT with 93.81 beta official drivers
Audigy 2ZS running audigy 4 drivers (this has worked fine for years and isn't the issue)
Windows 2000 Pro SP4 (that WGA insists is a genuine copy....)

Thinking about it, when i reinstalled the video drivers i just clened them and put the beta ones back on, i'll try putting the standard drivers on.

EDIT- just to update, i put the standard drivers back on and thought it was workingas i had no crashes for a while on css, but i loaded up bf2 and bam, it crashes, and i got it to crash on css since then too.

Last edited by Ultimate_death; 18th April, 2007 at 05:46 PM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 18th April, 2007, 10:28 PM
Asst. BBS Administrator

Maybe your PSU isn't quite generous enough?
Old 18th April, 2007, 11:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cloasters
Maybe your PSU isn't quite generous enough?
Sounds like it could be the PSU - suggest you see if there's anthing like CD & DVD drives you can disconnect to prove the point.

Looking at recent calculations on other threads it was scary that we lose 10-30% of PSU efficiency over 1-3 years.
Old 19th April, 2007, 08:14 AM

Thanks,
Seems like a fair point, i didn't realise the PSUs degrades so much, i don't think i can really disconnect much that would make a difference, but i'll try putting in a second PSU when i get back from school today, then i can plug all the accessories and fans and stuff into that and take the strain off my normal one. I'll tell oyu what happens once i've tried if this makes any difference.
Old 19th April, 2007, 05:14 PM

I tried the second psu but it made no difference, still instant crash in bf2 with winamp or media player running so i'm guessing it wasn't power after all. Anyone ever heard of anything like this happening before, i'm running out of ideas, there's only so many times i can reinstall drivers, programs, fiddle with wires and hope it works.

UPDATE: Turning EAX off and putting sound to software stops BF2 crashing so i'm now pointing the finger at sound, though it seems weird that i suddenly started getting this problem for no reason.

Last edited by Ultimate_death; 19th April, 2007 at 05:32 PM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 19th April, 2007, 11:53 PM

Send a message via MSN to captinhector

Oc'ing much? You might have corrupted something to do with windows with all that high heat(dropped bit or two), Back off on the oc, do a repair install of 2k and see if that helps.

Diablotek Demon IV
700w Tagan Dual Engine
AMD Athlon 64 3800+ x2 @ 2.7ghz under water
Asus A8N32-SLI Delux
EVGA 9800GT STOCK
2gig of A-Data Viesta DDR 1 @ 516 mhz
Http://www.thepeoplesbookstore.com