AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > CRASHED!

CRASHED! A topic for SEVERE and immediate Hardware and Operating System FAILURES. We will try to get you up again. NOT for Optimization questions!

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 30th April, 2007, 01:39 AM

Send a message via AIM to captaincurran Send a message via MSN to captaincurran Send a message via Yahoo to captaincurran Send a message via Skype™ to captaincurran

probs loading windows.

okay, not quite fixed gah. okay here's the scoop. i had a freeze up during installation of my soundblaster card and i restarted. then i kept getting probs booting, it'd freeze at the black just after it'd say mup.sys in safe mode boot, not allowing it to be repaired/or a new copy of windows installed or anything because when i put in a windows xp install disc and let it boot off that it'd freeze at the bit just before the menu of options pops up. so i googled the mup.sys file that the safe mode appears to have a prob with and it suggested taking out the pci cards, so i did that, and i had breifly got back into windows with them all out both in safe and regular mode. but then i tried to identify which card was the bad card. and it'd get to the mup.sys bit and restart. i tried each card in each pci slot, no luck on any card; nor any slot. so i took them all out, and tried safe mode again. and regular mode. both are not working now. again. they get to just almost booted and it restarts. i'm just letting it loop right now.

Last edited by captaincurran; 30th April, 2007 at 03:56 AM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 3rd May, 2007, 10:48 PM
Asst. BBS Administrator

I read about this kind of PITA when installing new Soundblasters. If you can do it, uninstall all of the drivers for Soundblaster cards. I'm using an old SBLive! card. I learned to let Windows find and install its own driver, which it did "silently" during the XP installation process. Soundblaster's own drivers for vintage cards are bloated pieces du merde. Probably no help, sorry.
Old 4th May, 2007, 06:39 AM

Send a message via AIM to captaincurran Send a message via MSN to captaincurran Send a message via Yahoo to captaincurran Send a message via Skype™ to captaincurran

yeah, i gave up on trying to get the SB card to work for now, i had to fight it to reinstall windows though, but i'm just restoring all that i had before now.

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 4th May, 2007, 06:55 PM
Asst. BBS Administrator

A Member knows how to get your new SB card to work, hopefully they'll see your post. It's annoying squared to have new hardware that's impossible to install right, at least for now. At this point, I'm wondering if $15 Yamaha sound cards are the answer.
Old 4th May, 2007, 07:47 PM

i had it for a while, every so often i think i'll get better quality from my pair of speakers, but i had got them for trying to get a guy's dvd burner to work for him.

Old 5th May, 2007, 01:24 AM
Asst. BBS Administrator

I insist upon top quality audio. SBLive! Value and eleven year old dinky speakers. Does that bass rumble authoritively? Yes, in another dimension! But seriously, someone knows how to address your audio problem, hope they give you a shout.
Old 7th May, 2007, 01:50 PM

Which Soundblaster card are you trying to run ?

If you look at the Creative discussion groups you'll find the X-Fi has a history of incompatibility with some manuafacturers bios.

It sounds like the bios itself might be corrupted if two different cards don't work in any slot so a reset could be in order.

I also recall that one PCI slot shares the interrupt with the VGA - this one to be avoided ! - and check for IRQ conflicts on the bios screen and disble anything you don't use to free up interupts for the cards.

Finally I'd suggest you clear any 'inf' files from failed installs, disable onboard sound and remove any drivers for this.

I hope this helps - for all the frustration they've caused mr I'd hate to lose my Creative sound cards.

Last edited by JimF; 7th May, 2007 at 01:51 PM.
Old 7th May, 2007, 04:16 PM

i was trying to install my SB Live! 24bit internal PCI card. i did indeed reset my bios when i was trying to get the pc to work again. i had it working before but took it out a few formats ago, and just didn't bother reinstalling till now.

Old 9th May, 2007, 10:05 PM

Are you running ACPI ? - just wondering if you're running out of interrupts or ending up with the wrong devices sharing.
Old 9th May, 2007, 11:21 PM

ACPI? it had just kept asking me to install the drivers, cuz i hadn't got around to it, and i finally got to it and downloaded the drivers from creative's site, and then when installing it froze and it went all funky after. not that it matters now. *scowls* my pc is on the floor by my bed partially protected by desk around it. i was sleeping with my chainmaille shirt on my bed and it'd appear that i had knocked it off and it hit the computer during my sleep. now normally that wouldn't be a prob but for somereason it's not working now. It sounds like it's running but i don't have a PC speaker to tell if it's posting or not. and it's not sending signal to the monitor either so it's annoying me. so i've got one tower that's constantly annoying me, and a laptop with a ghetto custom patched modular power supply. joy of joys, i'm not having luck with my computers right now. *sigh*

Old 11th May, 2007, 12:31 AM

Sorry - perhaps I've been reading too much vogon poetry !

I mentioned ACPI because that usually goes with an APIC - a chipset/bios option which basically gives more interrupts and some fancy power saving options. With 16 interrupt lines a Creative sound card can cause conflicts as it uses one for the sound and one for the joystick.

If you enabled a parallel or serial port or added another PCI device since you last got the sound card working then that could be the cause of your problems- you should see this under device manager.

In the past I've also resolved problems by reinstalling my SB5 with the original software and then upgrading - I don't know why (good title for a song that !)

Last edited by JimF; 11th May, 2007 at 12:32 AM.
Old 13th May, 2007, 09:18 PM
Asst. BBS Administrator

Any daylight, captaincurran? Er, sound?
Old 13th May, 2007, 09:51 PM

it makes sounds like it's running ie the the HDDs sound like their moving, the fans move, and everything lights up as they should. Except the signal (if any isn't hitting the monitor). i haven't really bothered fighting to get it running recently cuz i had just been fighting with it for a week only for it to go down due to chainmaille.

Old 14th May, 2007, 03:56 AM
Asst. BBS Administrator

Your PC might have knuckled under to the implied threat of force? Fight back, machine, fight back!
Old 14th May, 2007, 04:54 AM

well it does have the heart of a Klingon in it. dunno where the heart came from, but it's getting pretty smelly from being in the warmer air from the CPU heat.