AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > CRASHED!

CRASHED! A topic for SEVERE and immediate Hardware and Operating System FAILURES. We will try to get you up again. NOT for Optimization questions!

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 17th May, 2007, 01:00 PM

Send a message via MSN to acgraham

i think i have a short somewhere - wont post

i always pay you guys a visit about every 6 months coz thats about how often my next machine ends up crashing. i hope you guys might be able to help me out. i posted this here and at 2cpu too.

I have a gigabyte ga-8i945 p pro mother board with a pentium d processor, and a sonata 2 case.

a problem used to occur randomly where it just wouldn't boot. the hard drive light would stay on, and then it would refuse to continue. it wouldn't post, and there'd be no beep codes.

we realised by unplugging the attached raid card (adaptec), the problem went away. we thought the raid card had blown so we had it replaced. then a few months down the track the same thing happenned with the replacement card. we pulled it out and surely enough it worked ok again.

well now a few weeks later we haven't done anything and the same problem popped up.

i had a play around. i pulled off the heatsink and fan, and tried turning it on, and it was ok!

Im thinking by this stage it must be a short. do you think thats what it is?

i put the heatsink and fan back on without screwing the lugs in, and all ok again. but when i screwed the lugs in it would stuff up again.
I kept playing around trying to figure out what it could possibly be shorting against, but no luck.

and now it wont turn on at all even with the heatsink removed so i dont know whats going on now. i hope i havent permanently ****ed it.

do you have any more advice on what i should do? thanks again for your help guys.
Old 17th May, 2007, 04:34 PM
Chief BBS Administrator
BassTeroids Champion, Global Player Champion, Aim & Fire Champion, Puzzle Maniax Champion, Othello Champion, Canyon Glider Champion, Unicycle Challenge Champion, YetiSports 9: Final Spit Champion, Zed Champion

Send a message via ICQ to Gizmo Send a message via AIM to Gizmo Send a message via MSN to Gizmo Send a message via Yahoo to Gizmo Send a message via Skype™ to Gizmo

Hmmm......

It MIGHT be a hairline crack in the mobo. More likely a fractured solder joint somewhere that has finally shot craps.

Will the board post out of the case?
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 17th May, 2007, 04:43 PM

Send a message via MSN to Samuknow

I have managed to fixed broken traces if you can find them. So not all is lost. See if it POST out of the case as Gizmo said.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 18th May, 2007, 02:15 AM

Ill try it out, thanks guys. a hairline crack in the mobo. damn. never heard of that one before.
Old 18th May, 2007, 05:55 PM
Asst. BBS Administrator

I'm not brave enough to hit the power buttton with no HS on the CPU. Up to date processors get burning hot in about one second. Perhaps an Intel proc would throttle itself down enough to avoid a thermal catastrophy.
Old 18th May, 2007, 06:35 PM
Chief BBS Administrator
BassTeroids Champion, Global Player Champion, Aim & Fire Champion, Puzzle Maniax Champion, Othello Champion, Canyon Glider Champion, Unicycle Challenge Champion, YetiSports 9: Final Spit Champion, Zed Champion

Send a message via ICQ to Gizmo Send a message via AIM to Gizmo Send a message via MSN to Gizmo Send a message via Yahoo to Gizmo Send a message via Skype™ to Gizmo

I can verify from personal experience that the P4 familiy and the P4M family both throttle VERY well without a HS in place.
Old 18th May, 2007, 08:08 PM
AOA Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo
I can verify from personal experience that the P4 familiy and the P4M family both throttle VERY well without a HS in place.
Im glad u tested that out for us Gizmo, someone had to do it
Old 19th May, 2007, 04:47 AM

if a cpu overheats i thought the motherboard would just detect it and shut it down immediately. would i be wrong?
Old 19th May, 2007, 05:18 AM
Chief BBS Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by surlyjoe
Im glad u tested that out for us Gizmo, someone had to do it
Heh.

I can also verify from personal experience that an NF7-S mobo will shut down before the cpu fries if you have an Athlon XP installed.

All of these were tested intentionally, you because I knew that other people would be wanting the answers to these questions. I therefor took it upon myself, out of the goodness of my heart, to test them.

@acgraham - Yes, most modern mobos with modern CPUs will detect when the cpu gets too hot and shut down the system completely. However, Intel chips tend to generally do a better job of throttling themselves back on their own, without the mobo having to get drastic and shut everything down. This is a consequence of their more aggressive power management technology, inherited from the days of the Prescott (furnace in a can) chips.
Old 23rd May, 2007, 02:37 AM
Asst. BBS Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo
Heh.

I can also verify from personal experience that an NF7-S mobo will shut down before the cpu fries if you have an Athlon XP installed.

All of these were tested intentionally, you because I knew that other people would be wanting the answers to these questions. I therefor took it upon myself, out of the goodness of my heart, to test them.
Mighty forward thinking. Not to mention altruistic, you da man!!