AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > CRASHED!

CRASHED! A topic for SEVERE and immediate Hardware and Operating System FAILURES. We will try to get you up again. NOT for Optimization questions!

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 31st March, 2002, 01:44 AM
eobard

Old crap + old crap + your help = +2.5 SETI wu's a week.

Remember my friend with the bios chip that wouldn't let his old Cyrix boot? Well he gave me the board, cpu and a bit of old memory. Combine that with a few bits I've got laying around and 2 old motherboards I got from a surplus store last week and I've got enough to make one more SETI cruncher. BUT, it's not all working. I took the bios chip he gave me from the board it was in (Amptron 8600) and put it in one of the boards I got last week (Amptron 9100). I had hoped that the similarities would allow it to boot to floppy so I could flash it with a 9100 bios. It didn't but since I knew he couldn't get it to boot I wasn't surprised. Where I'm at now is thinking my next step should be to use the good bios chip from my firewall machine (Amptron 8800) to get a machine up and running, then hot swap, then flash. Before trying that I want to make sure the bios chip is the problem. With only a video card and monitor and the heatsink fan hooked up (edit: and 8 meg of memory) to the board when I power it up the fan on the sink spins (so I know the board is getting power) but the monitor stays blank. Does that sound like what a bad bios chip would do? If it sounds like something else then what? Also, should I hot swap the bios chip I just got into my 8800 and then try to flash it with the bios code for a 9100 (can that work) or should I take the bios chip from my 8800 system, put it in the 9100 board, boot the board to floppy (if that'll work) and then hot swap chips in the 9100 board and then flash with 9100 bios code? Who's hot swap flased before? how did you do it?

Last edited by eobard; 31st March, 2002 at 01:49 AM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 31st March, 2002, 01:57 AM

Send a message via ICQ to Super Send a message via AIM to Super

You mean you want to take the bios out while computer is running, then put another chip in, and flash?

I would imagine that the computer will lock up or even fry the moment you take the bios out. There is no possible way you (not you personally, but like any given human) can take the bios chip out so each and every pin disconnect at the same time. If one or more are still in contact while others aren't, I think that might fry the chip, and maybe a few other things.

Also, like almost every hardware works through bios at one point, right? So if there is no bios, that hardware can't work....

(I'm not really sure about what I just said, but like better safe than sorry...)
!!!!Leafs are still #1!!!!
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 31st March, 2002, 02:06 AM
eobard

Quote:
Originally posted by Super
There is no possible way you (not you personally, but like any given human) can take the bios chip out so each and every pin disconnect at the same time. If one or more are still in contact while others aren't, I think that might fry the chip, and maybe a few other things.

Also, like almost every hardware works through bios at one point, right? So if there is no bios, that hardware can't work....
I've thought of that but I've been assured by others here that it can, and has, been done. I just need to know which machine to flash from to have the greatest chance of success. As for the system using the bios thing I'd do the flashing from a dos boot disk so there wouldn't be a lot of activity anyway.

BTW: This is not a pre-April fools thing, I'm serious.
Old 31st March, 2002, 02:46 AM

Send a message via ICQ to Super Send a message via AIM to Super

I know you're serious, but here is a pre-april fool's day joke

Anyways, Good Luck to you!
!!!!Leafs are still #1!!!!
Old 31st March, 2002, 03:51 AM
eobard

I only just now realized the bios chip is 12v and the board is hard wired for 5v. Now I've got to cut the wire and solder a jumper allowing me to switch between 12v and 5v (and hope I don't bake the board in the process)
Old 31st March, 2002, 05:15 AM
eobard

I just got an email from the guy who had it before me, it ran fine for him for 2 years, then he got a virus and the system died. Does that mean the bios is completely shot?
Old 31st March, 2002, 07:12 AM
Banned

That's a tough one, I do not personally know of any viruses that write to the bios, but I've heard of some that wrote to boot sectors, etc...
Old 31st March, 2002, 08:11 AM

CIH viruses. They are the main reason why most mobo's have the bios write protect jumpers.
Old 31st March, 2002, 03:33 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by eobard
I just got an email from the guy who had it before me, it ran fine for him for 2 years, then he got a virus and the system died. Does that mean the bios is completely shot?
Possibly..

Reflashing might fix it...it might not

I dont think it will hurt to try it.
If it has a bios virus then it might not be removed...but a reflash might kill it.
Run a good virus checker over the flash disk after you have flashed the bios..just to be safe

Boot the other board with the good chip..swap them over (swich voltage) flash it. Turn off replace the original chip.

Best of luck in the future all my friends.
Old 31st March, 2002, 08:10 PM
Asst. BBS Administrator

The keenest of eyes and the steadiest of hands make hot swapping possible. The right kind of chip pulling tool for your chip is a must, too.

Personally, I broke a weird black plastic doo-dad that hid underneath the BIOS chip of an Asus P3B-F the last time I pulled a BIOS chip. And broke three solder traces on the mobo, too. This was with the system turned off. Ka-ching! A $139 mistake. Plus tax.
Old 1st April, 2002, 03:57 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by LutaWicasa
CIH viruses. They are the main reason why most mobo's have the bios write protect jumpers.
Thanks, didn't know that (good thing too ).
Old 4th April, 2002, 10:39 PM
eobard

Well the bad news is I swapped bios chips and got nothing. The good news is when I put the bios chip back in my firewall machine it still worked (even though I bent the **** out of half the pins removing it ). So it's a stalemate. I can live with that.
Old 13th April, 2002, 02:36 AM
Member/Contributer

Send a message via ICQ to Azriel

The main boot sector virus is B1... that thing is a bastid.. I have it on something around here, because It comes back every once in a while. You can clean it, though. If you don't know what you have it is hell. It slows networking to a crawl, so it's hard to backup your files for a reload. Check to see if your drives are running in "compatability mode" if they are, you probably have B1.

I know that's not it... but check for it.
Old 14th April, 2002, 10:33 PM

Location: Bircotes a great place i know i live there {nr doncaster,uk}

Doesn't sound much like a bios error to me i've had faulty bios chips before and you almost always get something on screen unless the bios chip has been completly wiped.
Have you checked the processor the problem you describe is exactly what happens when there is a faulty processor inserted IE: the fan spins up but the system goes nowhere else. Just try switching them and see what happens. If this doesn't work check the jumper settings some older boards like for pentium processors have a jumper for P55 or P66 (this only applys to pentium boards i think maybe something else for amd/cyrix) and if this is set up wrong this also causes the problem you have, not sure if this is pertinent in your case but have a look.

Cryax.

Last edited by cryax; 15th April, 2002 at 01:24 AM.