AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > CRASHED!

CRASHED! A topic for SEVERE and immediate Hardware and Operating System FAILURES. We will try to get you up again. NOT for Optimization questions!

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 20th June, 2007, 11:47 PM

insert disc error

A friend has a computer that won't boot, it comes up with the screen "disk error please insert systems disk and press any key"
I haven't got that much software experience, but I have had this happen to me before and can't remember what I did to get it running again. Please help, I think it has something to do with the c drive boot sector, but cannot remember what I did before. They have an older HP p4 it hink it's a 1.8 or 2.0 ghz stock machine. Thanks in advance
The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be necessary until they try to take it away.
The second amendment makes all the others possible.
They all laugh at me because I am different, I laugh at THEM because they're all the
********SAME****
AOA Team fah

Last edited by sarwiz100; 20th June, 2007 at 11:47 PM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 21st June, 2007, 12:41 AM
AOA's resident barman

Send a message via ICQ to Favu Send a message via AIM to Favu Send a message via MSN to Favu

I had this error on my girlfriends PC, the second hard drive went "LOL NO MBR". Wasn't even the boot drive, but the BIOS couldn't handle it. Once I removed the drive the machine functioned as well as ever.

Custom 8-bit Sharp Z80 @ 4.194304 MHz
Reflective LCD @ 160 × 144
8 kByte S-RAM

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 21st June, 2007, 12:47 AM
Chief BBS Administrator
BassTeroids Champion, Global Player Champion, Aim & Fire Champion, Puzzle Maniax Champion, Othello Champion, Canyon Glider Champion, Unicycle Challenge Champion, YetiSports 9: Final Spit Champion, Zed Champion

Send a message via ICQ to Gizmo Send a message via AIM to Gizmo Send a message via MSN to Gizmo Send a message via Yahoo to Gizmo Send a message via Skype™ to Gizmo

Did you make sure there wasn't a floppy in the drive? I can't tell you how many times that one has bit me.....

Seems to me like there was a utility called Fixmbr or something like that which could help you if you had a blown boot sector on your drive.
Old 21st June, 2007, 01:38 AM

THat was the first thing I asked them, and they said no. Thanks for the info, I think I used the fixmbr before, it sounds familiar. I really haven't had many problems with mine since I built this one 2 years ago, but I had plenty of probs with the stock hp I cannibalized for this and others.
The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be necessary until they try to take it away.
The second amendment makes all the others possible.
They all laugh at me because I am different, I laugh at THEM because they're all the
********SAME****
AOA Team fah
Old 21st June, 2007, 03:13 AM

Send a message via MSN to Samuknow

If you boot to the xp cd you can enter the dos prompt and type fixmbr.
FIx master boot record..

If that does not work. Try fixboot