AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > CRASHED!

CRASHED! A topic for SEVERE and immediate Hardware and Operating System FAILURES. We will try to get you up again. NOT for Optimization questions!

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 17th July, 2007, 03:16 PM

no power, no noise no boot!

right ive 2 systems

conroe and a amd64

at the time i was runnung the core duo (amd is in bits) through a surge protector

e4300 with a gigabyte DS3 mobo
connected to a xclio truepower 550w

im browsing a web page, nothing intensive, and suddenly the pc powers down, i press power button and nothing happens

i remove everything apart from the mobo cpu and ram and psu, still nothing, i change the fuse and hear a pop as i plug the power cable into the back of the psu. still nothing,
i remove ram and cpu, and try with a different psu... nothing

i asume the mobo is bust so i plud the original xclio psu into my amd64 machine which was un plugged but worked perfectly,

nothing!

i plug the 2nd psu into the amd machine and no power, i check front panel connections ect,

i get a old 350w psu and plug it into the amd machine (24pin wont fit into core duo machine) ... nothing

so i try a 13amp random cable i found (well, from my speakers)
it works!!! cant test it on the core duo machine though

i both fuses (original and new) are blown
i think the xclio is at fault??
maybe the original power cable? i havnt tried the original cable with the old psu with a new fuse yet) to be sure its not a faulty cable

i just hope the mobo and the cpu/ram gpu are ok on my main rig (conroe)

so conroe is down every way i try
amd is up with old 350w psu and different cable
amd is not up with either psu or with the different cable

i guess both power supplies are bust,
want to know if you think my mobo is and rest of pc, and to vent the frustration i had last night!

hope it makes sense!
Old 17th July, 2007, 04:12 PM

Send a message via MSN to Samuknow

I have had PSU's kill boards before. Went tthrough 2 boards before I realized the PSU was bad. It would start the machine and run for a bit and then kill the board. It sounds like the PSU killed itself and the board.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 17th July, 2007, 05:03 PM

I have had 2 power supplies die with a pop and flash, both times it has taken the motherboard with it. This was with older rigs though, no external power to the vid card etc. Depending on which rail decided to flash it could have taken other components as well. Which sucks because the only way to find out is to plug unknown parts into known good computers and risk killing that one too.

I have never used an Xclio PSU but, I have heard they were decent. I have tested a number of PSU's from Antecs to OCZ's and there are only two manufacturers I will trust my rigs to anymore. Silverstone (not every model will fit the bill) and my number 1 choice is PC Power & Cooling. PCP&C has been acquired by OCZ so the jury is still out on whether the quality of PCP&C will remain the same.
Old 17th July, 2007, 07:08 PM

well,

try'd again this afternoon, and both mobo turn on now with the fused cahnged (2nd time) with a cheapo q-tek psu

can get past post on 1 machine (amd) but the ps2 keyboard connector is bust

oter mobo power up, but ive not replaced the cpu gpu to assess the damage.

promising eh!
funny thing, i did this last night to no avail, and today i got thus far, (may have bin bad luck or i was just tired lol)

ill rma the psu (its 3 months old!)
this things happen randomly right... i dont need my house re-wiring ?
Old 18th July, 2007, 01:55 AM
Asst. BBS Administrator

Now that mainstream PC's are gluttons for power-and my current config is no heavyweight- I personally use only top of the line power supplies. Yes, it's costly. But sometimes you just need bragging rights. Mostly 'cause my A Box is lame.
Old 18th July, 2007, 04:08 AM

aye, however the branded psu i was using failed after 3 months, the one before than (generic) lasted for over a year.

pleased to say, both systems are working fine, the psu is bust every time i connect it it blows the fuse. lets hope the long term reliability isnt affected.

funny thing, system crashed while it was not overclocked... yet had spent 2 months overclocked in the past.
Old 18th July, 2007, 02:17 PM
Asst. BBS Administrator

It's funny, PC's can do the strangest things maybe the two months of OCing stressed the PSU? An Enermax went bad on me once, PC P&C to the rescue.
Old 21st July, 2007, 12:50 AM
Penguin Bashing Champion, Action Fish Champion, Cat Bowling Champion, Seconds Of Madness Champion

Sounds like the same problem i was having. My comp blew up 3 psu's before i decided to get new parts. I didnt want to risk any of my other parts. Core 2 here i come.

I was using an enermax when my comp blew up. I dont trust them anymore, it took my MoBo with it.
GPU: MSI 8800GTX HD-OC 610/1000 768MB
PSU: Thermaltake Toughpower 750W
Case: Thermaltake Shark Black Aluminium Case
HD: Hitachi 160GB 8MB Cache 7200rpm and a Western Digital WD2500KS 250GB 16MB Cache 7200rpm
Sound Card: Sound Blaster Audigy 2 ZS
Speakers: Logitech Z-640
DVD Burner: LG GSA-4163BBK Dual Layer

Last edited by Minibull; 21st July, 2007 at 12:51 AM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 21st July, 2007, 06:26 PM
Asst. BBS Administrator

It's worse when the power supply just has to take a friend with it. Demand PC Power&Cooling PSU's. Especially if someone else is footing the bill. Yeah, I wish.