AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > CRASHED!

CRASHED! A topic for SEVERE and immediate Hardware and Operating System FAILURES. We will try to get you up again. NOT for Optimization questions!

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 11th August, 2007, 06:31 PM

new system with MSI K9vGM-V won't post

Hi,

I built a cheap system using an MSI K9VGM-V MoBo and it will not boot or even POST.

The board is running a Athlon 64 X2 4800+ dual core, a single SATA hdd and an IDE DVD drive. I am currently using (ha, well planning on using) the on board VGA.

All the components are brand new.

I have connected the full 24 pin power and tried getting it to POST with no HDD or DVD connected (power and data), removed a stick of RAM (I have 2 1 gig sticks in it) based on someone elses problems i found in a forum. No joy though, The fans spin up, but it gives no signal to the monitor.

The only thing I can think of is the PSU, its a 400w one but a weedy example that came with the case, the only other I have is also a 400w (admitedly a better model) but it does not have 24 pins, just the older 20.

Anyone any ideas,

cheers P
Old 11th August, 2007, 06:37 PM

hmmm

just tried the older 400w PSU with just 20 pins (apparently the MoBo can run this way),

The CPU fan kicks but then stops, so I am now guessing it needs more juice to even POST.

I normally get Gigabyte boards, but they were out of the ones I wanted, so thought I would save a second trip and go for the MSI one, my my
Old 12th August, 2007, 12:10 PM

MoBo

Well, I tried a 1200w PSU (overkill but its all I had in the stores), still would not POST. Took it back to the tech guys at the shop, was a bad MoBo, put a new one in and it now works with the old 400w PSU.

What I find odd now though is, I used to build PC's for a living, would do 10 or so a day for corporations and the like, (this was in Pentium 2 days), I would be able to build all machines, plug them in with a ghosted HDD and they boot tol the OS, no worries, occasionally need to replace RAM cause some was not working etc.

Nowadays though, I have built about 5 machines over the last couple of years, friends and familly etc, and I kid you not, none have gone smoothly. I have always needed to take at least one component back for replacement.
Old 13th August, 2007, 03:51 AM
Asst. BBS Administrator

Welcome to AOA, peyote!
Sometimes it seems that the world gets more and more troublesome everyday, viz your hassles with newbult boxes.
Old 13th August, 2007, 12:15 PM

Send a message via MSN to Samuknow

I build quite a few systems. I usuall stick with what I know works. Once I find the combo that works best and is reliable, I stick with it. I have been using MSI boards for a while. They make very good basic desktop machines. I probably have only ever had one go ad. ECS on the other hand is a big no no for me. Lost6 boards over the last 2 years.

Glad you got is sorted out. To give it a good testing, folding at home is a good way to go.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 13th August, 2007, 02:38 PM

Send a message via AIM to Necorum Send a message via MSN to Necorum Send a message via Yahoo to Necorum

For some reason i have no prblem with ecs boards hmmm Sam is bad luckz runz awayz

3dMark 11: P7023
3dMark Vantage: P31097
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 4th September, 2007, 04:12 PM

Send a message via MSN to Samuknow

They hate me.

Out of the 6 there is still one going.