AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > CRASHED!

CRASHED! A topic for SEVERE and immediate Hardware and Operating System FAILURES. We will try to get you up again. NOT for Optimization questions!

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 1st September, 2007, 08:03 PM
Member/Contributer

I'm not sure of your history with these or any boards, but one thing I know for sure from school, 19 years of PC experience, etc is that if a system keeps ruthlessly killing boards, its time to examine the powersupply. I know it doesn't help with this board, but in the even you get a new one, consider trying a new PSU

That is if it ends up being the board, and not the card. The upside is that if it is the card, these days video card makers are quite lenient on their return policies.

GL with that mess.
Old 2nd September, 2007, 01:22 AM

Send a message via MSN to Samuknow

This is the first time this board went down. I had it happen to another board twice and then got a new PSU and it lasted another year and has been fine. Gave it to my sis and it is still going strong. My PSU tests fine. It appears that the card went and possibly surged the system and caused the bios to crap out. It still flashes the PCI cards splash screen then goes blank. I am deciding on buying a BIOS chip or sending the board back. If I get a chip, I can get it running and then hot flash the old chip and keep it as a spare.

I just got the video card back about 2 weeks ago. It was running fine. Came back from church and it was toast. Not sure why.

I'll update.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 2nd September, 2007, 04:17 AM
Irreverent Query Chairman

With these enthusiast boards it is usually a fight of some kind but as you say it's worth it in the end. I'd send the thing back and let them look at it. If it happens again you can put some pressure on them to send an upgraded model.

FWIW ASUS has told me that they are sending me an A8N32-SLI in lieu of the A8N-SLI Deluxe that borked; they said the Deluxe has proven to be more problematic then the newer version and that they are "sorry for the inconvenience". Good news for me, but I have to wait for it...

For the most part I think the manufacturers want happy users...
#1: Tt Armor, ASUS Maximus Extreme, QX9650@4.1G, 8G Corsair Dominator GT DDR3-2000, Corsair HX1050, H2O-Swiftech, Gigabyte GTX470/Arctic Accelero Xtreme Plus II, Intel 520 SSD, Kingston SSD, 2xRaptor 150G RAID0, Win 7 Pro 64
#2: Tt Shark, ASUS P5Q Pro Turbo, Q6600@3.8G, 4G HyperX-1600, Corsair HX850, CoolerMaster V10, 2xASUS 9600GT, 2xRaptor 74G RAID0, OCZ Vertex 4 SSD, Gentoo/siduction Linux [64-bit]
#3, #4: Opteron 170@2.75G nude, A8N-SLI Deluxe, Gentoo

AOA Folding @HomeOur sister site: www.gamersonlinux.com
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 2nd September, 2007, 10:08 PM

That is sweet news...
Old 3rd September, 2007, 02:44 PM
Team 45 Folder

Send a message via MSN to Got EpOx Send a message via Skype™ to Got EpOx

I had a Winfast board go wrong for me, it would post but then it would never boot into Windows very much. I assumed it might be memory issues so i tried different memories but to no luck, i'm still messing with it atm.
232GB Western Digital 'My Book' External HDD USB 2.0
80GB Hitachi SATA HDD
Onboard Audio
Intel GMA 950 Onboard Video
Want to make a difference without leaving your chair?, then join the AOA folding team today!
AOA Folding @Home
Old 18th September, 2007, 12:24 PM

Well I got the bios chip last night. (thanks Smiffy) Let's make this short and say it is still non functional. It does the same as before. I will try to dig up my info to see if I can get an RMA on it. I will tear it down all the way this week. If no RMA, I may just sell this thing off. I am sick of dumping time and money into computers.
Old 18th September, 2007, 03:37 PM

Bummer dude, I was hoping it would do the trick.
Old 18th September, 2007, 03:55 PM

Me too. No biggie. I will find a board or something.
Old 18th September, 2007, 04:13 PM
Irreverent Query Chairman

Aw hell, I wanted to hear some good newz on that one. Let's hope that next incarnations are good ones.

PS PM in yer box
#1: Tt Armor, ASUS Maximus Extreme, QX9650@4.1G, 8G Corsair Dominator GT DDR3-2000, Corsair HX1050, H2O-Swiftech, Gigabyte GTX470/Arctic Accelero Xtreme Plus II, Intel 520 SSD, Kingston SSD, 2xRaptor 150G RAID0, Win 7 Pro 64
#2: Tt Shark, ASUS P5Q Pro Turbo, Q6600@3.8G, 4G HyperX-1600, Corsair HX850, CoolerMaster V10, 2xASUS 9600GT, 2xRaptor 74G RAID0, OCZ Vertex 4 SSD, Gentoo/siduction Linux [64-bit]
#3, #4: Opteron 170@2.75G nude, A8N-SLI Deluxe, Gentoo

AOA Folding @HomeOur sister site: www.gamersonlinux.com
Old 18th September, 2007, 04:14 PM

In your search for another board, if you run across an LP RDX200, don't dismiss the possibility. I probably had a dozen DFI 939 boards, the RDX200 was the one I had the most trouble letting go of. It clocked better, performed better clock for clock and was just an enjoyable board to work with.

As time goes on and new boards come out, my love for DFI is slowly dying. They seem to be falling into a pattern of engineering the bios to compensate for a lack of engineering in the PCB. I ended up trading a DFI LP 680i and $100 for a LP P35 so hopefully they can restore my faith..
Old 18th September, 2007, 05:31 PM

They have always build monster overclocking boards. If anything, the bios and mem settings are enough to make even the most astute scratch their head. If it ain't broke, you can usually tweak it until it is. Maybe I need a board I cannot break. Maybe something more simple. The only 3 boards I would really consider are Abit, Asus, and DFI. Nothing else is worth it's salt. I will see what can be had for the right price.
Old 18th September, 2007, 06:28 PM

You should take a peek in the LP P35 bios.

I've been in LP bioses since the Lanparty NF2 Ultra A version so I'm kind of used to opening them up and having a good idea what I'm doing. I've spent the last week searching for information on some settings in the LP P35, seems noone knows what they are..