AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > CRASHED!

CRASHED! A topic for SEVERE and immediate Hardware and Operating System FAILURES. We will try to get you up again. NOT for Optimization questions!

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 29th August, 2007, 12:44 PM

Send a message via MSN to Samuknow

Angry Sick of this machine

Well, I came home from a meeting at church last night to hear my fan on my video card racing as if I were gaming for hours. I tried to wake up the monitor, and nothing. No biggie, I will just restart. The fan instantly maxes out again and nothing on the screen. HDD light stays on. I am thinking great, this POS video card died again. Shut it down and remove the card and install my trusty PCI card to get it going. Boot it up and nothing. Shut down, reset CMOS and boot. Monitor syncs and still no pic. I shut it down and try another PCI card. Still nothing but a monitor sync. Reset CMOS again and move jumper to safe boot. It's a DFI thing. Still nothing. As you can imagine I am rather pissed at this point. I shut it down and unplug everything except the water pump and 1 drive. Nada. I move the safe jumper back to default. I then leave it alone for a while while I finish up another build.

I try it again about an hour later and I get a display from the video card and then a faint glow to the screen. Nothing else happens. I try reboot and hold down the Insert key. This should boot to default. I then see the video card splash again. I can do this over and over but it gets no further. If I do not hold down the insert key and keep rebooting, to steal a line from Sgt Schultz, " I see nothing "

I will spend some time tonight narrowing it down. Anyone care to post a guess? Maybe I can run a poll to see who is right. Test your skill.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 29th August, 2007, 01:30 PM

Sound like a good excuse to upgrade. Did you try with a hammer?

ASUS G73 SW, IE7, 20 GB DD3 ram

AOA Team fah
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 29th August, 2007, 01:44 PM
AOA's resident barman

Send a message via ICQ to Favu Send a message via AIM to Favu Send a message via MSN to Favu

I might be tempted to say the motherboard gave up the ghost. Either that or your A64 had that much feared "sudden death syndrome"

Either way, that is rough for you

Custom 8-bit Sharp Z80 @ 4.194304 MHz
Reflective LCD @ 160 × 144
8 kByte S-RAM

Old 29th August, 2007, 03:20 PM

with it trying to boot sometimes I can make a good guess it is the board.

I will throw a diff cpu in to double check.

I will also throw in another PSU to make sure that is fine.
Old 29th August, 2007, 06:39 PM
Irreverent Query Chairman

Sam;
Are you getting no beep codes at all?
This sounds like a carbon copy of what happened to that A8N-SLI and you know what happened with that one. Still waiting for the replacement.

Could be a corrupted BIOS though...I don't think that the DFI's will sound a beep code if the BIOS is borked. Do you have access to a machine you could hot flash the BIOS in?
#1: Tt Armor, ASUS Maximus Extreme, QX9650@4.1G, 8G Corsair Dominator GT DDR3-2000, Corsair HX1050, H2O-Swiftech, Gigabyte GTX470/Arctic Accelero Xtreme Plus II, Intel 520 SSD, Kingston SSD, 2xRaptor 150G RAID0, Win 7 Pro 64
#2: Tt Shark, ASUS P5Q Pro Turbo, Q6600@3.8G, 4G HyperX-1600, Corsair HX850, CoolerMaster V10, 2xASUS 9600GT, 2xRaptor 74G RAID0, OCZ Vertex 4 SSD, Gentoo/siduction Linux [64-bit]
#3, #4: Opteron 170@2.75G nude, A8N-SLI Deluxe, Gentoo

AOA Folding @HomeOur sister site: www.gamersonlinux.com
Old 29th August, 2007, 07:15 PM
Chief BBS Administrator

Does sound like it's your board. Odds against both your cards dying at once... sorry Sam.
."
DKE

"All that we do is touched by Ocean
Yet we remain on the shore of what we know."
Richard Wilbur

[img]/forum/attachments/random-nonsense/16515-sigs-dan_drag.jpg[/img]
Subscribers! Ask Pitch about a Custom Sig Graphic

Old 29th August, 2007, 07:53 PM
xD ~HOO-RAAH
Snake Champion, Chopper Challenge Champion, Pacman Champion, Capture The Flag Champion, Mario Bros Pipe Panic Champion, Dirt Bike 2 Champion

Send a message via MSN to Abdul

The DFI has flashy lights... what i mean is Diagnostic lights.. do they all switch off correctly? Theres 4 towards the PCI slot... And then 3 more i think for power for the RAM etc... which stay on.. have to refer to the manual to make sense.. xD

You did say they ya get a gfx screen so they should be working properly..

New system time me thinks, same for me.. me thinks..

Last edited by Abdul; 29th August, 2007 at 07:55 PM.
Old 29th August, 2007, 08:21 PM

no beeps.
i have the speaker turned off. I will try the hard clear first. As I said, I had an issue like this before. I did have to send it back to DFI once to get the bios flashed.
Old 30th August, 2007, 01:18 PM

Well here is what I know.

tried the video card in another rig I just built. Machine does not even recognize that the card is installed. It boots to the on-board video and never sees new hardware. Installed it several time to make sure it was seated. I did make sure I attached the PCIe plug. The fan ran wide open.

Now on to my board issues. Did the hard reset as listed in the link. Only waited a few minutes. ( never heard my machine beep before) Got the flash from the pci video when I set everything back to normal. Then nothing but a black screen. Well it has a little glow to it to be exact. I have it down to do the 24 hour clear. I will post back findings tonight or tomorrow.

I am more than a little bent about my card. It has been back only a week or so. I did not put the WB on it or anything. Just the stock card. Worked fine for a few days and then racing fan and no output.

Not sure what happened here. Maybe board BIOS borked and brought the video card along for the ride. Would not be the first DFI board that spit out a BIOS.

I will try my CPU in the other machine I just built along with my memory. That way I can eliminate the stuff that still works. Depending on how badly this goes, there may be some items showing up in the classified ads.

Last edited by Samuknow; 30th August, 2007 at 01:21 PM.
Old 30th August, 2007, 02:17 PM
Benchmarker

Send a message via Yahoo to chrisbard

I guess you are a sinner!
I've heard that linux community came up with better implemented security in it's latest Linux Mint Gold version, it's actually preventing the user to log in, thus posing 0 risk in contamining the computer with malware! Well done to the open source community!

Last edited by chrisbard; 30th August, 2007 at 02:28 PM.
Old 30th August, 2007, 02:21 PM

have you tried to go into safe mode with networking?
because if you can't go into safe mode with networking it is a big problem.
my buddy cannot go into safe mode but he can use his pc normally.
and every once in awhile it will flash a windows logo and say please wait.
and beep and turn black and white for a few minutes and back to normal.
Motherboard: ASUS M4A79T Deluxe
Memory: 8 Gb's of Kingston Hyperx 1333 DDR3
Case: Xion Solaris Black/Green ATX Mid-Tower
Old 30th August, 2007, 02:42 PM

Well, that is really weird.

Don't worry Sam, it would be over soon......one way or another.

ASUS G73 SW, IE7, 20 GB DD3 ram

AOA Team fah
Old 30th August, 2007, 03:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hjason7812 View Post
have you tried to go into safe mode with networking?
because if you can't go into safe mode with networking it is a big problem.
my buddy cannot go into safe mode but he can use his pc normally.
and every once in awhile it will flash a windows logo and say please wait.
and beep and turn black and white for a few minutes and back to normal.
It will not POST at all. Nada, nothing,
Old 31st August, 2007, 12:39 PM

Ok, here it is.

As I said I tried my video card in another rig and all I had was a screaming fan and nothing else. It did not even detect the card in windows. It booted right up with the on board video and nada on the 7900. Tried to force the install with a detect new hardware and installing drivers. It stopped during the driver install indicating that it did not find a compatible device.

Now on the the board. After a good long nearly 24 hour CMOS reset, it is the same. I tried yet another PCI video card. I get a single beep and the HDD light stays on. The odd thing is that the monitor syncs up. Nothing shows up but it wakes up. If during the boot up I hold down the insert key, I get the splash screen from the video card. Then it goes to blank again. Right about the time it should be showing the bios POST screen. This brings me to the conclusion that the bios is borked.

On my last DFI board, I sent it in twice to get the bios flashed. They did it both times at no cost. Short of my shipping cost to them. SO, I think that is my option. I will contact DFI to see if they are willing to help me out. Maybe get another bios chip and once it is running, I will try a hot flash on my current bios chip.

On my video card, I am not sure what the deal is. It still had the stock cooler on it. I may have slightly OCd it. But very minimal. I just have not had the time to play with it since I got it back. Not sure if the card took my board along for the ride or the board bios smacked my video card up side the head. I have had nothing but problems with this PNY card. I imagine I will get a nasty email if I try to RMA it again. It has been back twice already.

In the interim, my 14 yr old son is grounded for life, so I have his socket A rig at my desk so I can at least email and stuff. I have my SATA drive connected via a USB adapter and it works great. Not the speed I am used to but it works.

Feel free to post any comments, input, or suggestions.
Old 31st August, 2007, 02:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samuknow View Post

In the interim, my 14 yr old son is grounded for life, so I have his socket A rig at my desk so I can at least email and stuff. I have my SATA drive connected via a USB adapter and it works great. Not the speed I am used to but it works.

Feel free to post any comments, input, or suggestions.
Meanie.
Good to have you able to keep us posted though. Wish I had a magical solution for you...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf2000me
Skinny people are not petite in every aspect of the body, let me tell you that
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsio
I was searching for a synonym for testicles that rhymed with hats

[/FONT]

Old 31st August, 2007, 03:23 PM
AOA Staff

Send a message via AIM to robbie Send a message via MSN to robbie Send a message via Yahoo to robbie Send a message via Skype™ to robbie

Quit putting it off and just get a stick!!!
Buy it, Sell it, or Trade it in the AoA classifieds!!
AOA Team fah
Old 31st August, 2007, 03:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aghastpumpkin View Post
Meanie.
Good to have you able to keep us posted though. Wish I had a magical solution for you...

Quite nice of me considering the crime. Not showing up at school could carry the death penalty in my house. Ex-Military and disobedience never mixes well.

When I get some time one of two things will happen. I will pull the board and send it off to DFI or, I will part this thing out. It won't take long to save up cash for a new rig.

I'll let you guys know how it goes.
Old 31st August, 2007, 05:49 PM
Chief BBS Administrator

I just hate this! When every move costs ya and you just don't know what move to make! I'd send it back to DFI, It may just be pettiness on my part, but when a board makes me suffer, I want the manufacture to know a lest some of my pain.... Besides, you may finally, at long last, get a working board out of them....to use or sell...
."
DKE

Richard Wilbur

Old 31st August, 2007, 06:03 PM

This has been the only drawback to DFI boards. People have had to fight with this from the beginning. They are worth the fight though. I have only had this board a few months. Even though it is an older board, I bought it unopened and new. I will get a hold of DFI today.
Old 31st August, 2007, 06:47 PM
Chief BBS Administrator

Ah, seems a fairly large drawback...":O}
."
DKE

Richard Wilbur