AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > CRASHED!

CRASHED! A topic for SEVERE and immediate Hardware and Operating System FAILURES. We will try to get you up again. NOT for Optimization questions!

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 3rd September, 2007, 09:27 PM
Member/Contributer

Best dumpster dive ever! and a problem of course

On my drive home from work the other day I came to a stop light where 3 guys were standing between road pylons with boots in their hands. The firefighters in the county were taking donations for MD. I emptied out my armrest of change, all I had on me ($2.75 or so) and drove away with a renewed positive karma rating.

So this past weekend my friends and I go dumpster diving, and we hit the jackpot! In the trash I find a 32" Element Electronics LCD. Sure, its in the trash, it should be broken right?. Well I got it home and found that the power cable's slot was missing a few vital parts...like the prongs. Anyway I gauge it out and consult with an EE major I know and rigged it up and plugged it in hoping for the best. Well it not only turns on, but works great!!! WHAT A FIND!

Now for the problem. It appears that it was thrown out for a different reason. When I first turn it on, it runs great, good image everything, but after some normal windows use, or brief gaming sessions green lines appear various spots over the screen. As I continue, more of these appear. I know for sure its electrical and heat that is causing this, because the lines are a repeated pattern across the screen, and become more frequent with use. I've done some research and found that this model came just before another that had a fan in it. This model does not. So I got to playin with a fan on it, and the lines diminished to barely noticeable. So my question is, does anyone know of any good large LCD coolers, or is this maybe a coincidence? Is this problem indicative of anything else?

If all else fails I can fabricate a cooler, but your guys' input is most defiantly appreciated on the best way to go about it.
Old 3rd September, 2007, 09:59 PM
AOA's resident barman

Send a message via ICQ to Favu Send a message via AIM to Favu Send a message via MSN to Favu

I know of a few people that have watercooled LCD's with custom made LED backlights. As it is most likely the backlight that is overheating maybe you could build a cooler for that? or maybe run a fan between the backlight and the LCD?

check this link out =

800X1280 narrowscreen??? - Page 8 - MP3Car.com

Custom 8-bit Sharp Z80 @ 4.194304 MHz
Reflective LCD @ 160 × 144
8 kByte S-RAM

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 3rd September, 2007, 10:15 PM
AOA Staff

Send a message via AIM to robbie Send a message via MSN to robbie Send a message via Yahoo to robbie Send a message via Skype™ to robbie

Touch the back of it, find the warm spot... get out the dremal and cut!!!
Buy it, Sell it, or Trade it in the AoA classifieds!!
AOA Team fah
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 3rd September, 2007, 11:49 PM
Team 45 Folder

Send a message via MSN to Got EpOx Send a message via Skype™ to Got EpOx

Awesome find, liquid cooling would be good but fiddly. I'm pretty sure it could be done but you have to do it right. Make sure it doesn't end up costing mroe than buying an LCD of the same size.
232GB Western Digital 'My Book' External HDD USB 2.0
80GB Hitachi SATA HDD
Onboard Audio
Intel GMA 950 Onboard Video
Want to make a difference without leaving your chair?, then join the AOA folding team today!
AOA Folding @Home

Last edited by Got EpOx; 3rd September, 2007 at 11:49 PM.
Old 4th September, 2007, 12:26 AM
Member/Contributer

Does anyone think making a duct system with some case fans would work? I mean if in a later model they simply added a fan, then mayhap it'd be enough? It has vents on all sides, right now my plan is to get some cheap case fans and put them atop the beast and pull through. Otherwise, I'll look into anything anyone else posts.
Old 4th September, 2007, 09:49 AM
Chief Systems Administrator

Sounds like there might well be heat problems. You might well find that a fairly minimal airflow solves the problem if it's caused by the LCD getting too warm.
Old 4th September, 2007, 06:08 PM
Asst. BBS Administrator

32" LCD? Score! Well done, hope you can cool it properly.
Old 4th September, 2007, 07:51 PM
Chief BBS Administrator

Yeah, that needed repair not a dumpster, glad you put things right! ":O}
."
DKE

"All that we do is touched by Ocean
Yet we remain on the shore of what we know."
Richard Wilbur

[img]/forum/attachments/random-nonsense/16515-sigs-dan_drag.jpg[/img]
Subscribers! Ask Pitch about a Custom Sig Graphic

Old 5th September, 2007, 12:50 AM
Steve Jobs

You didn't do quite as well as Gizmo though. He found his whole computer in a dumpster, RAID card, Geforce 4 MX and all!

In fact... if you had a look at his computer chasis... you could argue it still /is/ in a dumpster.
Running Fedora 15 Linux (GNOME 3)
Dual Dell 2407WFP
AOA Team fah

Drivers, Games, Demos, Mods and Overclocking Tools At AOAFiles