AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > CRASHED!

CRASHED! A topic for SEVERE and immediate Hardware and Operating System FAILURES. We will try to get you up again. NOT for Optimization questions!

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 10th September, 2007, 12:40 PM
Irreverent Query Chairman

A8N32-SLI and boot block bios

OK here's my tale of woe:
I found a brand-new A8N-SLI deluxe 939 board with full warranty really cheap and took it home. 939 gear is now discontinued in this country and is difficult to find. I managed to get an new Opteron 185 with the help of Samuknow and he shipped it halfway round the world to get here.

Put it in the board, did an out of box setup (by habit), POST ok. Put it in the box, set up XP, RAID, etc, all ok. Real easy. Next day no boot. BIOS checksum bad. OK, flash BIOS. Done. Still no boot. Fudged around for 2 days, RMA'd the board.

ASUS doesn't have any in-country for RMA. They offer me an A8N32-SLI in lieu of the former. No charge and sorry for the inconvenience. I say sure.

I've got it now. Set it up outside the box, 1 RAM stick Corsair XMS3200, no drives, PCI video card. Nothing else. First thing on the screen is the boot block looking for the CD of floppy. Hmm. OK, hook up a cd drive, let it flash the BIOS. Looks OK, restart your machine to recover your system. Reboot to the same.

Change the mem stick. Other half of the matched pair doesn't show anything on-screen. Not even the boot block. Try both sticks in another machine. They both seem to be OK. Try the first one again. Same result. Second one? Same result, nothing.

Here's the big question. If the processor were bad, would the boot block BIOS show on-screen, or would the screen be blank? I'm beginning to suspect the chip was borked by the original board, or vice-versa, and one of the memory sticks isn't functioning properly, even though it works in another machine (I'm not sure WHAT that means).

What are the normal signs that a processor is bad, and what (if anything) would show on the monitor when starting the system?

I'm not sure what my next move should be. I'm quit sure that the board is good now, and the fault is somewhere else. How should I pin it down without risk to other systems (I'm not real keen on putting the chip in one of my servers to test it).
#1: Tt Armor, ASUS Maximus Extreme, QX9650@4.1G, 8G Corsair Dominator GT DDR3-2000, Corsair HX1050, H2O-Swiftech, Gigabyte GTX470/Arctic Accelero Xtreme Plus II, Intel 520 SSD, Kingston SSD, 2xRaptor 150G RAID0, Win 7 Pro 64
#2: Tt Shark, ASUS P5Q Pro Turbo, Q6600@3.8G, 4G HyperX-1600, Corsair HX850, CoolerMaster V10, 2xASUS 9600GT, 2xRaptor 74G RAID0, OCZ Vertex 4 SSD, Gentoo/siduction Linux [64-bit]
#3, #4: Opteron 170@2.75G nude, A8N-SLI Deluxe, Gentoo

AOA Folding @HomeOur sister site: www.gamersonlinux.com
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 10th September, 2007, 12:55 PM

Send a message via MSN to Samuknow

Pull the CPU and try to boot the board. You should be greeted with nothing except some beeps. This is what you would get with a bad cpu.

Do you have another 939 board to try the opty in? If the CPU is bad, it will not hurt another board. Just nothing will happen.

I still suspect the new board. I would try all your components in another board if you have one.

This is crap. What is the deal around here with main boards?

How far do you get to see on the screen? What do you see last?

Last edited by Samuknow; 10th September, 2007 at 12:57 PM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 10th September, 2007, 02:27 PM

You are correct, I tried to boot with no cpu and it's a blank screen. I guess that means the cpu is doing SOMETHING. Memory works in another machine; really now, what are the chances that they sent me a bad board on RMA? Can they really be that careless?

As far as what I can see on the screen, I see nothing but the boot block asking for the floppy or CD. Then it reads the CD, finds the BIOS file, erases the BIOS, and programs the EPROM. It gives me a success message, and asks to power down and restart to finish recovery. When I restart, the same procedure ad infinitum.

I have half a mind to send the MB, memory, cpu and power supply to Bangkok and let the ASUS people sort it out. Hopefully they won't tell me it's the cpu; I took off the heatspreader and I doubt we'll be able to get that past customer service, Sam. Hehe. My own fault, perhaps, I should have tested everything before modding... I mean, if a component is bad I'll replace it, but I don't want to blindly go replacing stuff - I want to know which part is bad first.

Might have to punt.
#1: Tt Armor, ASUS Maximus Extreme, QX9650@4.1G, 8G Corsair Dominator GT DDR3-2000, Corsair HX1050, H2O-Swiftech, Gigabyte GTX470/Arctic Accelero Xtreme Plus II, Intel 520 SSD, Kingston SSD, 2xRaptor 150G RAID0, Win 7 Pro 64
#2: Tt Shark, ASUS P5Q Pro Turbo, Q6600@3.8G, 4G HyperX-1600, Corsair HX850, CoolerMaster V10, 2xASUS 9600GT, 2xRaptor 74G RAID0, OCZ Vertex 4 SSD, Gentoo/siduction Linux [64-bit]

Last edited by ThunderRd; 10th September, 2007 at 02:32 PM.
Old 10th September, 2007, 04:01 PM

Can you boot to an OS cd at all?
Old 10th September, 2007, 04:30 PM

Nope. Just a CMOS checksum error, then the boot block looks for the BIOS file immediately, no POST screen, no CPU id, no BIOS version id, nothing. Just the boot block.

Old 10th September, 2007, 04:35 PM
Chief Systems Administrator

The bootblock message is what you get when the BIOS bootblock notices that the BIOS code appears to be corrupt. Normally, the BIOS flash routines should verify that the code has been written properly - have you seen that at all?

What CD are you using to reflash the BIOS with?
Old 10th September, 2007, 05:07 PM

I know this is remedial but, did you double check the jumpers?

If all is well on the jumper front, sounds like a FUBAR bios.
Old 10th September, 2007, 06:29 PM

@Aedan:
I've seen the boot block before on other machines; it should stop complaining after it has seen the BIOS file and reprogrammed the EPROM. This time it sees the BIOS file, re-writes the BIOS to recover, then after the reboot it does the same all over again.

I've had the board exactly 10 hours. At first power-up that's what I saw, and it was a bare-bones install, as I've reported. I saw nothing else. The CD is the one included with the board, it has the BIOS file written in the root directory. Can't tell you what BIOS revision it is, since I can't get past the boot block. I'll assume it is a late version. When the boot block looks for it it's there, and it accepts it for recovery.

I'm now suspecting that when the first board croaked, it took the cpu and\or memory with it. Why else would one of the sticks give me the boot block, and the other stick a blank screen? Strange though, they both work in another comp. Would the checksum be in error if the memory or cpu was damaged? That could explain why the first board was also acting strangely. ASUS took that one back; but they may give me a fight now unless I'm 100% certain that the RAM and cpu are good. Especially since they gave me the top of the line 939 gear.

@Sam:
Jumpers ok, have done the CMOS clear and put it back on 1-2. No other jumpers of importance afaik. The board's not even in the tray, so it's not a standoff/shorting problem.

Time for bed. I'll tackle it tomorrow with a clear head.

Last edited by ThunderRd; 10th September, 2007 at 06:38 PM.
Old 10th September, 2007, 06:55 PM
Asst. BBS Administrator

Asus has been my fave m'board for years. After reading post after post after post of troubles with Asus boards, I think I'll go Giga-Byte next time. Hope Thunder Rd doesn't have to move heaven and earth to get a working mainboard!
Old 10th September, 2007, 07:31 PM

I have the same problems with an A8N-SLI Deluxe and A8N32-SLI Deluxe. Bios version should 1015 and/or 1017(1017 was in beta when this happens). Like you do everything that I know to no avail. The boards where working find until I erase the raid 0 config on the 32 and try to make another with raptors hdd. Same thing, bad chk sum error and that's it. End up RMA them, waiting for them to return. I love Asus too, but now I don't know any more. Maybe is time for a change, Hope you can work things out.

ASUS G73 SW, IE7, 20 GB DD3 ram

AOA Team fah
Old 11th September, 2007, 02:46 PM

If you have the chance, see if you can put together a recovery CD with the latest BIOS on it.

If the processor/memory was damaged, I'd be surprised that the system got as far as actually running the bootblock and checking the BIOS code. It's a long way to go from the processor to the FLASH memory that the BIOS lives on!
Old 11th September, 2007, 03:12 PM

Aedan:

That was exactly my next question.

I left the batt out and cleared the CMOS overnite; still have the same result. I have given it some thought and decided to dump it into ASUS' lap; the PS, board, memory, and cpu are on the way to ASUS service in Bangkok as we speak.

Here's my question, for anyone who is more knowledgeable, maybe Strongwolf -
1) If I get to the boot block BIOS, and never got ANYTHING else, starting with the FIRST POWER-UP, and...
2) The boot block finds the BIOS on the cd, and...
3) the boot block gives me a success message after programming the EPROM, but asks for the CD on EVERY power-up...

...is it POSSIBLE that the cpu is bad, or not?

The reason for the question is, if the memory is bad I can get it here. No problem. But if the cpu is bad I have to get it from the States or Europe and that is a hassle, especially because I just got this cpu from Sam and it is brand new. I know that it worked in the other boards, 'til they borked, but could it have died as a result of a board? My experience tells me it is EXTREMELY DIFFICULT to kill a cpu.

One other question. Anyone here have any experience with putting an IHS BACK ON the cpu? If it turns out that this one is bad I have to see if it can be returned, and it's nude already. It'll be a trick to get it past customer service, or I'm out $200.

Any ideas?

EDIT: I have an idea for ASUS. Why not package the new MBs with a spare BIOS chip. Then, in the event of a problem, one could put the new chip in, and hot flash the other one. Just a thought.

Last edited by ThunderRd; 11th September, 2007 at 03:19 PM.
Old 11th September, 2007, 04:13 PM

I still think if it is a bad CPU you will see nothing. Just like if you take the CPU out and try to boot the board. I have never seen a CPU partially fail.
Memory on the other hand I have seen many issues related to bad memory.

So, I believe that the CPU is fine. Mem might be bad. Board is likely your problem.
Old 12th September, 2007, 04:32 PM

It is 'possible' that a defective CPU could cause this, but extremely unlikely. Writing to FLASH memory requires an unlock sequence - a particular set of bytes written in the right order to a particular set of memory locations for the FLASH to unlock.

One other possibility is that the CPU couldn't calculate the correct checksum - but it'd surprise me if the CPU couldn't manage to do that, but could manage to read a CDROM and execute code from it.
Old 12th September, 2007, 06:41 PM

Hopefully you guys are right and the memory and/or the board is the cause. That's good because I can get them sorted out under warranty rigth here. We'll know in a few days after the techs look at the setup in BKK.

I'm just frankly going to be very disturbed if the board is the culprit at this point. That would be 3 brand new boards in a row disfunctional. If that is true its incredibly poor QC by ASUS. I have stood by them for years but my opinion might change now in spite of all the kudos for the A8N32. What if I had a business depending on this rig?

Old 13th September, 2007, 07:49 PM
Chief BBS Administrator

Years ago I received three Sanyo DoA's in a row... I began to suspect that they were re-cycling their duds to be sure they were dead, kind of a beta testing program for dead boards... but I'll never know.. Good luck!
."
DKE

"All that we do is touched by Ocean
Yet we remain on the shore of what we know."
Richard Wilbur

[img]/forum/attachments/random-nonsense/16515-sigs-dan_drag.jpg[/img]
Subscribers! Ask Pitch about a Custom Sig Graphic

Old 15th September, 2007, 10:57 AM

Well, the verdict is in. And it is, of course, the worst possible news. The MB and memory are fine, but the cpu is plotzed.

The first MB must have gone bad and taken the CPU with it; then the second MB complained. How it ever got to the boot block I'll never know; I guess the BB isn't cpu-dependent. I think that we can learn something from this. Apparently the boot block BIOS can function even with a bad cpu, at least this one could.

Now I have to figure out how to get the IHS back onto this one and try to RMA-and that isn't easy from the other side of the globe. I may not be able to do an acceptable job-I'm an expert at taking the damned things off but I've never put one back. What a colossal blunder to remove it before checking the cpu out. Well, that won't ever happen again, that's for sure.

Old 15th September, 2007, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThunderRd View Post

Now I have to figure out how to get the IHS back onto this one and try to RMA-and that isn't easy from the other side of the globe. I may not be able to do an acceptable job-I'm an expert at taking the damned things off but I've never put one back. What a colossal blunder to remove it before checking the cpu out. Well, that won't ever happen again, that's for sure.

I did not hear you say this. I know nothing. You know what to do though.

Sent PM
Old 15th September, 2007, 03:56 PM

The bootblock is CPU dependant, as all the BIOS code executes on the main CPU. There isn't any other processor for handling setting the system up.

I hope all goes well getting a replacement CPU.
Old 15th September, 2007, 04:39 PM

Now you have me worried. Are you saying that the cpu has to be good, because it ran the boot block? Or are you saying that perhaps the cpu is somehow partly bad?

If I get a new one and it does the same I guess I'll know.