AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > CRASHED!

CRASHED! A topic for SEVERE and immediate Hardware and Operating System FAILURES. We will try to get you up again. NOT for Optimization questions!

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 13th September, 2007, 02:51 AM

Vista being *Awesome* and crashing

I'm a total newb at overclocking but I got my comp over clocked to 3890 MHz and It was at about 45C and whenever I try to overclock any higher than this vista just completly freezes I was wondering if anybody knew if this was Vista being stupid and or if anybody else has had this (im going to be putting xp on this machine in a few months so then I will see for sure but wanted an expert OC opinion)
Old 13th September, 2007, 02:56 AM
Chief BBS Administrator
BassTeroids Champion, Global Player Champion, Aim & Fire Champion, Puzzle Maniax Champion, Othello Champion, Canyon Glider Champion, Unicycle Challenge Champion, YetiSports 9: Final Spit Champion, Zed Champion

Send a message via ICQ to Gizmo Send a message via AIM to Gizmo Send a message via MSN to Gizmo Send a message via Yahoo to Gizmo Send a message via Skype™ to Gizmo

There are limits to how far you can overclock before you start seeing stability problems (indeed, that's how you know when you've pushed too far).

I'd say you've probably gone as far as you can.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 13th September, 2007, 06:41 AM
Benchmarker

Send a message via Yahoo to chrisbard

Well what Gizmo said. It can be Linux or XP or 2000 when you go too far the system either crash or freeze.
I've heard that linux community came up with better implemented security in it's latest Linux Mint Gold version, it's actually preventing the user to log in, thus posing 0 risk in contamining the computer with malware! Well done to the open source community!

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 13th September, 2007, 12:53 PM

Send a message via MSN to Samuknow

Quote:
Originally Posted by mystification View Post
I'm a total newb at overclocking but I got my comp over clocked to 3890 MHz and It was at about 45C and whenever I try to overclock any higher than this vista just completly freezes I was wondering if anybody knew if this was Vista being stupid and or if anybody else has had this (im going to be putting xp on this machine in a few months so then I will see for sure but wanted an expert OC opinion)
How about some system specs to see what we are looking at. As said before you may be at your limit. 3890 is nothing to sneeze at...

Oh yea
Attached Images

Old 13th September, 2007, 01:16 PM

specs

To be honest I don't know what my motherboard is but I do know that I have a 3.49 GHz processor, an nvidia 8600 gts gpu, 2 GB of corsair RAM, a 160 GB SATA and a 250 GB EIDE, a soundblaster x-fi (not positive on everything im in school right now lolz). I have also added 3 fans and they were all running on the highest speed. My computer is in my basement which is probably around 16c but not sure on that either. If anybody can tell me how to tell what my motherboard is it would be appreciated oh and one thing I dont think my board was made to be overclocked. Also can somebody tell me how to get a signature I looked all over the settings and I couldnt find it.
Old 13th September, 2007, 01:45 PM

There should be some numbers on the board itself. Look around the PCIe slot. You can sometimes tell, if you catch it in time, when you boot up. Look for a model number after the video card bios flash screen.
Old 13th September, 2007, 07:40 PM
Chief BBS Administrator

Welcome! ":O}

You might benefit from reading our Forum rules (in the announcement section at the start of each topic) we put most things people want to know there. Glad you decided to post to us!
."
DKE

"All that we do is touched by Ocean
Yet we remain on the shore of what we know."
Richard Wilbur

[img]/forum/attachments/random-nonsense/16515-sigs-dan_drag.jpg[/img]
Subscribers! Ask Pitch about a Custom Sig Graphic

Old 13th September, 2007, 10:22 PM

motherboard

I looked at my MB and looked it up at compaqs sight and I found that my MB is a 945gct-hm so im almost 98% sure thats it doesnt come to be overclocked but I am going to upgrade my bios probably
Old 13th September, 2007, 10:26 PM
AOA Staff
Asteroids Champion, Maeda Path Champion, Disco Racer Champion, Alpha Bravo Charlie Champion, Van Champion

Send a message via MSN to Pitch

If the PC is a Compaq model, then it's likely a Compaq specific Mobo, built on an Intel chipset. Also, stability while overclocked is not likely to be on Compaq's agenda when the made it.

XBL/PNS = neolad
Old 13th September, 2007, 11:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mystification View Post
I looked at my MB and looked it up at compaqs sight and I found that my MB is a 945gct-hm so im almost 98% sure thats it doesnt come to be overclocked but I am going to upgrade my bios probably
This explains a lot.

Time to toss that board and get a real board in there.
Old 14th September, 2007, 12:17 AM

Unhappy I really wish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samuknow View Post
This explains a lot.

Time to toss that board and get a real board in there.
Yeah I really want a new board like id give almost anything but My parents are making me get a car which will be at least 500 not including couple hundred in parts so ill have to wait a long time but once I get a car and its fixed up im planning to get a new MB and Water Cooling WOOT. i can at least overclock my cpu from 3490-3850 MHz at around 37C/100F but thats only an increase of 360 MHz but still I dont really need to overclock cause I have 3.49 normally and 2 GB ram with nvidia 8600 gts so ill have to at least wait till car is bought oh and one thing my parents dont even know about the 8600 gts which I bought under there noses (lets keep it that way to)

Last edited by mystification; 14th September, 2007 at 12:18 AM. Reason: add text
Old 14th September, 2007, 01:58 AM

I know nothing......

You should still be getting some decent performance.

Need a better cooler first.
Old 14th September, 2007, 01:09 PM

okay thanks for all the help guys
Old 15th September, 2007, 06:33 AM

Download CPUZ and give us a screenshot of it. Don't remember a CPU at 3.49 from Intel. Finding a bios that will allow overclocking probably won't happen, even if you did once you flash that bios you will lose the Compaq code in the bios and Windows won't activate any longer if you have to reinstall.

http://www.cpuid.com/download/cpu-z-141.zip
Old 15th September, 2007, 11:00 PM

yeah
I already have zpu-z ill post a screen shot now(note no overclocking happening
oh sorry its only 3458 MHz oh and I dont think iys actually *26
Attached Thumbnails
Vista being *Awesome* and crashing-cpu-z.jpg  

Last edited by mystification; 15th September, 2007 at 11:01 PM.
Old 16th September, 2007, 12:20 AM

It's a celery.
Old 16th September, 2007, 01:11 AM

Thanks, forgot all about the celeron line-up. The Multi truly is 26 and it's real close to be maxed out at stock. Even if you had a proper motherboard you wouldn't be able to get enough speed out of that CPU to make it worthwhile.

My advice would be to get your ride, use your computer the way it is while stashing some funding and then plan an upgrade.
Old 16th September, 2007, 02:50 PM

The best he could do would be to replace it with a P4. may be get a little boost.
Old 16th September, 2007, 07:40 PM

so getting a cpu with a lower GHz would be better?
Old 16th September, 2007, 08:48 PM

Not really lower, A P4 will have much more cache. Thus netting better performance. Sometimes.