AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > CRASHED!

CRASHED! A topic for SEVERE and immediate Hardware and Operating System FAILURES. We will try to get you up again. NOT for Optimization questions!

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 25th September, 2007, 12:05 PM

Det DRAM Error No post!

left my PC going whilst I had a shower (it was sat in windows doing nothing) came down to find it had locked up 100% and had a high pitched squeeling sound coming from the speakers. I turned it off and tried rebooting but it was not posting. The error message on the display (why oh why is on the back of the PC!) said "Det DRAM". So I started pulling my sticks of RAM out and I seem to get this error on 2 out of the 4 sticks. Any idea if this means they are dead (they are 6mths old) or if its a bios problem??

This is as far as I got,

Stick 1 in slot 1 = boot (yay, using that 1 now)
Stick 2 in slot 1 = boot (yay)
Stick 3 in slot 1 = no boot (Motherboard stuck on DRAM check)
Stick 4 in slot 1 = no boot (Motherboard stuck on DRAM check)

Stick 1 in slot 1 & Stick 2 in slot 3 (dual channel) = no boot (Motherboard stuck on DRAM check)

Tried Stick 2 back in Slot 1 = no boot (motherboard gets stuck on random checks each time, first it thought there was no gfx card, then no CPU, then it couldnt work out the mem size then it went back to saying there was no ram)

Back to stick 1 in slot 1 now.

I have done a full CMOS clear. What I need to find out is what componant(s) have died so I can send them back. I am starting to think that either 3 sticks are down or the motherboard is playing up.
4gb OCZ SLI 8500 DDR2 RAM
2x Nvidia 8800GTX
Creative X-Fi Xtream Gamer Fatal1ty Professional 7.1
Enermax 1000W Galaxy PSU
Asus 19" Wide Screen Monitor.
14320 3Dmark06 @ 1440x900
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 25th September, 2007, 12:39 PM

Send a message via MSN to Samuknow

Usually I try each stick in a slot. ie., you have 4 sticks, run each in slot one and memtest a while. Once you determine all the sticks are good. Try each slot again. Also check to see if 1T or 2T is on in the bios. Set to 2T to see if you can get it running. To be honest, this sounds like SBDS (sudden board death syndrome). It has been an infection plaguing the members here for a bit.

Last edited by Samuknow; 25th September, 2007 at 12:39 PM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 7th October, 2007, 02:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samuknow View Post
Usually I try each stick in a slot. ie., you have 4 sticks, run each in slot one and memtest a while. Once you determine all the sticks are good. Try each slot again. Also check to see if 1T or 2T is on in the bios. Set to 2T to see if you can get it running. To be honest, this sounds like SBDS (sudden board death syndrome). It has been an infection plaguing the members here for a bit.
Could you tell me a bit more about this SBDS? I recently just had a problem were I start up my PC and get nothing on the monitor, no boot message/logo nothing. The LCD poster on my ASUS Crosshair MB displays DET DRAM. Running 2 1 gig sticks of Corsair XMS2 ram atm and I have tried both in slot B1 (closest to the processor) and still does the same thing.

I am not sure if it is the RAM that is dead or I am having problems with my MB. This all happened after I used ASUS AI (messed with the NOS overclock utility at 110% which resulted in a bluescreen). The computer rebooted fine after that, when it did not was when I used the My Logo Utility, once I choose the BIOS file and a Boot logo, it Flashed the BIOS and went to restart the Computer, after restart the LOGO screen never came up, nothing just a black screen.

Also I have tried clearing the CMOS, I recall when I put this PC together this summer that I did have a small amount of trouble getting it to boot but the CMOS did clear. Not sure if thats working atm, but I do not think it would give me the DET DRAM message regardless if I have successfuly cleared my CMOS.

Last edited by Lamech; 7th October, 2007 at 02:55 AM.
Old 7th October, 2007, 12:54 PM

Send a message via MSN to Samuknow

This, unfortunately, sounds like a bad bios flash. THe fact that it happened right after you flashed the bios tells us this is probably the case. You might be able to order another bios chip and get it going again.
Old 7th October, 2007, 07:13 PM

Ok, well I am taking my GPU and RAM up to Campus tomorrow and having them checked to help isolate this problem. If its the BIOS chip I should be able to send the MB back to have it fixed. I hate for it to be the MB since I will have to remove everything as much as I hate too.

The reason I suspect the RAM so much is the DET DRAM it is posting. But It still could be the Chip I suspose, I also thing of the GPU since it displays nothing but I do not think thats the case. At anyrate thanks for the help.
Old 7th October, 2007, 11:35 PM

Same Problem

I had two sticks of OCZ mem 1066/5-5-5-15 1066 mhz ram. The MoBo gave me the det dram message, so i went out and bought 2 1 gig sticks of corsair xms2 ram, slid it into the comp and my computer finally booted up.
On a whim one month later i slid the 2 gigs of ocz ram back into the comp on top of the two gigs of xms ram, and the computer detected it. So i had all 4 slots filled with mem. This setup lasted me a month untill, Bam, Det Dram message came back up. I removed all the mem, and tried different slots with each stick until i found a combo that worked, and that ended up being a stick of corsair in the third slot, just one gig. Have'nt messed with any cmos settings yet, but will try and let you guys know. Also gonna download THE NEW UPDATE FROM ASUS TO SEE IF THIS WILL FIX THE PROBLEM. IT JUST BOTHERS ME THAT THIS PROBLEM SEEMS TO COME FROM NOWHERE. let us know if you guys find a solution to thjis problem, because i would hate to send my MoBo back to ASUS if it justs needs some setings changed or an update.

Thanks
Old 7th October, 2007, 11:35 PM

By the way that two sticks of OCZ ram lasted 2 months
Old 8th October, 2007, 01:41 PM

Well got my RAM tested and 1 stick is dead, however still a bit confused as to why the MoBo only booted with 1 stick, it now seems to work with 2 sticks. Sending dead ram back to OCZ for replacement.
4gb OCZ SLI 8500 DDR2 RAM
2x Nvidia 8800GTX
Creative X-Fi Xtream Gamer Fatal1ty Professional 7.1
Enermax 1000W Galaxy PSU
Asus 19" Wide Screen Monitor.
14320 3Dmark06 @ 1440x900
Old 8th October, 2007, 11:04 PM

Daston, I got the same setup you have except i got 2x 8600 fatality GPU's instead of the twin 8800's, and my fx-62 is only clocked to 3.07
And yes i had the same ocz memory.

But yeah it would die unexpectedly, then only boot with the one ram stick, i wouldnt change any settings, power down insert another stick and both would work. then three would work, and then all 4 worked, its a wierd problem
Old 10th October, 2007, 12:19 AM

It was indeed the BIOS Chip. After looking for a bit allot of people have the same problems with the ASUS MyLogo utility. Anyways just a bad BIOS flash. Called ASUS and had a new BIOS chip sent to me, works perfectly now. Thanks for all your help.

And if there is a more safe way to change the boot logo let me know
Old 10th October, 2007, 07:22 PM
Asst. BBS Administrator

Asus--for shame! If you fired your QC department I respectfully suggest that you re-hire them. Or make your BIOS more reliable. Or something! Once upon a time you built outstanding mainboards. Wha' hoppen?
Old 11th October, 2007, 05:23 PM
Irreverent Query Chairman

Here's a link to a site started by an ex-ASUS employee in the UK, aimed at specifically helping users with ASUS products. It's quite good and there is lots of excellent advice by some experienced ASUS users (some good O/C guys, too.) I highly recommend it:

ASUS INDEPENDENT -- Troubleshooting, Setup, and Overclocking Help For ASUS Motherboard Users
#1: Tt Armor, ASUS Maximus Extreme, QX9650@4.1G, 8G Corsair Dominator GT DDR3-2000, Corsair HX1050, H2O-Swiftech, Gigabyte GTX470/Arctic Accelero Xtreme Plus II, Intel 520 SSD, Kingston SSD, 2xRaptor 150G RAID0, Win 7 Pro 64
#2: Tt Shark, ASUS P5Q Pro Turbo, Q6600@3.8G, 4G HyperX-1600, Corsair HX850, CoolerMaster V10, 2xASUS 9600GT, 2xRaptor 74G RAID0, OCZ Vertex 4 SSD, Gentoo/siduction Linux [64-bit]
#3, #4: Opteron 170@2.75G nude, A8N-SLI Deluxe, Gentoo

AOA Folding @HomeOur sister site: www.gamersonlinux.com