AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > CRASHED!

CRASHED! A topic for SEVERE and immediate Hardware and Operating System FAILURES. We will try to get you up again. NOT for Optimization questions!

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 5th April, 2002, 07:22 PM
eobard

second line in my sig

Everyone see the second line in my sig? Stupid ****ing Maxtor! Allow me to introduce myself, my name is K6-2 guy! I'm not asking for help, just stating my anger. Thank you for your time.

p.s. Don't buy Maxtor, 1 year and it dies.
Old 5th April, 2002, 07:40 PM
Banned

Unless you buy a maxtor with a 3 year warranty (I have a 40GB in my server right now).

I personally have had good experiences with maxtor. My friend inherited my old 20GB maxtor when I built my most recent system, and the current one I've own, and the 20GB is still going strong (about 1 year now) and the 40GB gets severely abused and has not been giving me any grief.

I also feel it's unfair to knock a harddrive company just because of this experience. Harddrives, by nature, are not long-lasting components because of their construction and function (plainly, we abuse the damn things even with everyday use). IBM has know issues because theirs are failing in very short amounts of time out of the box. 1 year for any harddrive isn't terrible if it was a troublefree year IMHO. If it's under warranty you can always RMA it. If it's not, better luck next time getting a good price on a 3 year warranty model.

besides, a K-6 isn't that bad!
Old 5th April, 2002, 08:34 PM
eobard

Just venting there Pinks. I sent the RMA just a few minutes ago.

We all know IBM's deal.
Old 5th April, 2002, 09:22 PM
Chief BBS Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by eobard
Just venting there Pinks. I sent the RMA just a few minutes ago.

We all know IBM's deal.
I'm rather surprized your cat tolerates and allows you to continue in such behavior....but then that's probably why your venting here! ":O}{
."
DKE

"All that we do is touched by Ocean
Yet we remain on the shore of what we know."
Richard Wilbur

[img]/forum/attachments/random-nonsense/16515-sigs-dan_drag.jpg[/img]
Subscribers! Ask Pitch about a Custom Sig Graphic

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 5th April, 2002, 09:32 PM
Banned

Quote:
Just venting there Pinks.
I was just venting about you venting bards

Old 5th April, 2002, 09:36 PM
eobard

Everyone's good at something. You're good at running a online forum and I'm good at venting. I don't try to disuade you from what you're good at....
Old 5th April, 2002, 09:37 PM
eobard

Quote:
Originally posted by Pinky

I was just venting about you venting bards

Oh yeah, well my vents can whup your vents 8 days a week!
Old 5th April, 2002, 09:40 PM
Banned

Quote:

Oh yeah, well my vents can whup your vents 8 days a week!
I concede to that!
Old 5th April, 2002, 09:55 PM
eobard

Quote:
Originally posted by Pinky

I concede to that!
It's pretty difficult to have an arguement with you if you agree with me.
Old 5th April, 2002, 10:37 PM

Send a message via ICQ to Super Send a message via AIM to Super

My Maxtor will be 1 year old on the 24th of April

but, I have 3year warranty!
!!!!Leafs are still #1!!!!
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 5th April, 2002, 10:49 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by Super
My Maxtor will be 1 year old on the 24th of April

but, I have 3year warranty!
Shhhhuusshhhh! You'll wake the kitty ........
Old 5th April, 2002, 10:54 PM

Send a message via AIM to mrpcman

i've had 3 maxtor and one ibm drive die on me so far. total lost data: about 90GB.
Old 6th April, 2002, 12:39 AM
Asst. BBS Administrator

The plain truth may well be that all modern IDE HDD's are built with barely adequate 'robustitude.' Manufacturer's get better and better at saving that last 1/1000th of a penny in labor and materials. Never before has so much disk capacity been available for so little of the consumer's money.

It's amazing. Three years ago, a 4.3 Gb Maxtor cost more than a 40 Gb Seagate costs today. I don't really know what happened, I'm guessing from outside the loop.

Both of my little 4.3 Gb Maxtor's still serve faithfully. ATA-33 is painfully slow, but a B Box is a B box.

I empathise with eobard's anger. I lost a 75GXP after eleven months of unreliable service. It was an expensive HDD. It craves the sweetness of a sledgehammer's caress. Better not give it the treatment before the class-action suit is settled. As soon as I see that the lawyers got all of the money, I'll lovingly put the pos into hard drive hell. Mu-wha-ha-ha!
Old 6th April, 2002, 04:01 AM
Member/Contributer

Send a message via ICQ to Azriel

Why is it that I have never had a drive failure? Even with really skanky looking old drives I got off ebay... never a single bad cluster. I have gotten them with bad clusters, and proptly pulled of all the jumpers, and pitched them, but I have never worsened their condition.

(Yes, I knocked on wood before and after typing that... )
Old 19th April, 2002, 07:26 PM

Location: Bircotes a great place i know i live there {nr doncaster,uk}

Quote:
better at saving that last 1/1000th of a penny in labor and materials. Never before has so much disk capacity been available for so little of the consumer's money.

I agree with this i work as a computer tech and a lot of what i do involves refurbishing old kit and when i say old i mean old like what could you do with a 30MB HDD now a days (although someone obviously knows as they buy em) but this is the sort of thing i deal with but allthough they are very old they still seem to work perfectly whereas most of the kit i fail is modern stuff like HDDs from around 10GB and upwards.
(maybe it's a conspiracy by HDD manufacteurers to make you have to bye a new one more often LOL)

Cryax
Old 19th April, 2002, 07:36 PM
eobard

I friend of mine has an internet sharing program that will run on a 286 processor off a single 1.44 floppy from DOS. A 30mb hard drive would be useful in that situation.
Old 19th April, 2002, 07:47 PM

Do you want one i have loads i've got them as low as 25MB.

The company i work for usually sells them to supermarkets and the like for use in there till computers as they don't need to hold an awfull lot of data.

Cryax.
Old 19th April, 2002, 09:50 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by cryax

The company i work for usually sells them to supermarkets and the like for use in there till computers as they don't need to hold an awfull lot of data.

Cryax.
If you want to offer something in trade we don't support that officially (outside of the classifieds forum we have), but you're welcome to private message each other and make an exchange ...
Old 20th April, 2002, 12:13 AM
eobard

Quote:
Originally posted by cryax

Cryax.
If you're directing that to me, thank you no. I've got a 20mb IDE and a 20mb MFM that I'll probably never use. I was just pointing out that those small drives still have a few uses in this world.
Old 20th April, 2002, 02:54 PM

Quote:
If you want to offer something in trade we don't support that officially (outside of the classifieds forum we have), but you're welcome to private message each other and make an exchange ...
It would seem i have been misunderstood i was not attempting to sell or even trade but was offering the item free of charge. But i will take your comment under my belt and will refrain from making such offers in the futre.

Cryax.