AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > CRASHED!

CRASHED! A topic for SEVERE and immediate Hardware and Operating System FAILURES. We will try to get you up again. NOT for Optimization questions!

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 4th October, 2007, 09:06 PM

Send a message via AIM to djXternal Send a message via MSN to djXternal Send a message via Yahoo to djXternal

No MAC Address

Hey guys I need some help, I was having trouble getting vista to connect to my network, and I did not know why. I reinstalled xp and now am having a problem connecting to the network again, for some reason there is no MAC address registering for the computer which is not allowing the pc to obtain an ip address from the router....

Why would the machine not have a MAC address?
Old 4th October, 2007, 09:34 PM
Chief BBS Administrator
BassTeroids Champion, Global Player Champion, Aim & Fire Champion, Puzzle Maniax Champion, Othello Champion, Canyon Glider Champion, Unicycle Challenge Champion, YetiSports 9: Final Spit Champion, Zed Champion

Send a message via ICQ to Gizmo Send a message via AIM to Gizmo Send a message via MSN to Gizmo Send a message via Yahoo to Gizmo Send a message via Skype™ to Gizmo

It may depend on the chipset. It seems to me like you could change the MAC address on some NF3/4 chipsets by changing something in the BIOS when you flashed it, and a BIOS flash could sometimes cause a symptom like this. However, I'm just pulling something rather fuzzy out of my memory.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 4th October, 2007, 11:04 PM
Member/Contributer

Gizmo, I remember something similar - also from memory, it could be spoofed with some programs / drivers.

djXternal, need ful system specs.

Also can you post a screenie of the output of "getmac" from a command prompt (minus "" of course). Sometimes it doesn't seem to work, but there is one.

Corsair AX650
Asus P8H77-M PRO
i7 3770 (non K series)
- Noctua NH-L12 Low Profile CPU Cooler
2x8GB G.Skill Ripjaws X
Sapphire 7970
2 x SanDisk Extreme 120GB RAID 0
Western Digital Green 3TB
Asus Xonar Essence STX
TP Link TL-WN881ND
Fractal Design Arc Mini
- 2x Noctua NF-P12 120mm, 2x Noctua NF-P14 FLX 140mm, NZXT Sentry 2 LCD Fan Controller
Asus ML249H
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 4th October, 2007, 11:29 PM

Send a message via AIM to djXternal Send a message via MSN to djXternal Send a message via Yahoo to djXternal

specs are:

Epox ep-8rgm3i
AMD Athlon XP-M 2900+
2x 512Mb PC3200 DDR
80 Gb HDD IDE
600W PSU

I tried that command and it said command not found.... the router actually see it connect for a moment, and the MAC is 00:00:00:00:00:00
Old 4th October, 2007, 11:41 PM
Member/Contributer

Hmm, wont let me dl the manual.

Ok a couple of things;

1. Clear CMOS, see if that works.

2. Dl, and install the latest drivers, or reinstall the originals from the cd you should've recieved if you have the latest.

*You will need to uninstall the drivers first, and then reboot the machine*

Make sure you keep a copy of the latest ones saved on the HDD

3. Flash or re-flash the latest bios for that board. It doesn't happen often but your bios can become corrupted.

Jargon 4.2, node: cosmic rays the last bit - from 'Factual note' onwards.

Corsair AX650
Asus P8H77-M PRO
i7 3770 (non K series)
2x8GB G.Skill Ripjaws X
Sapphire 7970
Asus Xonar Essence STX
TP Link TL-WN881ND
Fractal Design Arc Mini
- 2x Noctua NF-P12 120mm, 2x Noctua NF-P14 FLX 140mm, NZXT Sentry 2 LCD Fan Controller
Asus ML249H

Last edited by noob; 4th October, 2007 at 11:44 PM.
Old 4th October, 2007, 11:45 PM

ive done verything except flash the bios, cant seem to figure out how, i downloaded the newest, and have the awdflash.exe and the data file that accompanies it. I just cant remember how to flash it
Old 5th October, 2007, 12:20 AM
Member/Contributer

you need a floppy.

basically you create a bootable floppy, in XP you will have to dl the files - search for them. Then copy the BIOS onto the floppy, and away you go.

Unless awdflash.exe does that all automatically of course - some do - which means you insert a blank floppy, and its just like installing a program.

Corsair AX650
Asus P8H77-M PRO
i7 3770 (non K series)
2x8GB G.Skill Ripjaws X
Sapphire 7970
Asus Xonar Essence STX
TP Link TL-WN881ND
Fractal Design Arc Mini
Asus ML249H
Old 5th October, 2007, 01:25 AM

what should I do if I have no floppy, and I havent had any luck finding a cd that will let me boot to dos
Old 5th October, 2007, 03:11 AM
Chief BBS Administrator
BassTeroids Champion, Global Player Champion, Aim & Fire Champion, Puzzle Maniax Champion, Othello Champion, Canyon Glider Champion, Unicycle Challenge Champion, YetiSports 9: Final Spit Champion, Zed Champion

Send a message via ICQ to Gizmo Send a message via AIM to Gizmo Send a message via MSN to Gizmo Send a message via Yahoo to Gizmo Send a message via Skype™ to Gizmo

You could download Ultimate Boot CD. You can get it from AOAFiles, here. However, if you don't have a floppy, that's not going to help you much.
Old 5th October, 2007, 03:41 AM
Member/Contributer

You should be able to create a bootable CD, and maybe even flash from it. I personally pulled one out of an old machine which was going into the bin at work.

Some manufacturers allow a boot from USB to flash the BIOS - but that may be a recent thing.

Corsair AX650
Asus P8H77-M PRO
i7 3770 (non K series)
2x8GB G.Skill Ripjaws X
Sapphire 7970
Asus Xonar Essence STX
TP Link TL-WN881ND
Fractal Design Arc Mini
Asus ML249H
Old 5th October, 2007, 12:51 PM

Send a message via MSN to Samuknow

To make this simple, have you tried another NIC? Just install a pci NIC and go from there.
Old 5th October, 2007, 01:55 PM
Chief Systems Administrator

You could try opening a command line session, and typing "ipconfig /all" (Without the quotes), and see what is shown for Physical Address.

If you can confirm that there is no physical address set, then it is possible to override the physical address.
Old 5th October, 2007, 06:34 PM

ok well i booted into ubuntu linux and the internet was working with a mac address, Im still not sure why in windows no mac address was assigned i managed to find where you can manually set a mac address and that seemed to resolve my problem
Old 5th October, 2007, 06:42 PM

Send a message via MSN to Samuknow

Cool
Old 6th October, 2007, 01:11 AM
Asst. BBS Administrator

I'm still a sucker for a happy ending.
Old 7th October, 2007, 02:33 PM

well here's a happy ending, day after I got it fixed was my birthday and I got a 22" LCD for the new pc!! nice, much better than my 15" laptop screen
Old 7th October, 2007, 05:53 PM
Chief BBS Administrator

15 to 22 inch, a guy's going to notice the difference! ":O} Happy Birthday djXternal!
."
DKE

"All that we do is touched by Ocean
Yet we remain on the shore of what we know."
Richard Wilbur

[img]/forum/attachments/random-nonsense/16515-sigs-dan_drag.jpg[/img]
Subscribers! Ask Pitch about a Custom Sig Graphic

Last edited by Daniel ~; 7th October, 2007 at 05:54 PM.
Old 12th October, 2007, 05:38 PM
Asst. BBS Administrator

Happy Birthday! Sorry that I'm a month late with this.

I thought MAC addresses were hard coded into the router, NIC, or switch. So that isn't true?

Last edited by cloasters; 12th October, 2007 at 05:39 PM.
Old 12th October, 2007, 06:14 PM

I also thought they were hardcoded, but I guess not.... and your not a month late it was just october 5th
Old 12th October, 2007, 06:36 PM
Chief BBS Administrator

Some devices are hard-coded with an address that cannot be altered. Most, however, have an address encoded in firmware which can be altered, or have a hard-coded address but have provision for overriding that address with a software selectable alternative.