AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > CRASHED!

CRASHED! A topic for SEVERE and immediate Hardware and Operating System FAILURES. We will try to get you up again. NOT for Optimization questions!

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 26th November, 2007, 10:43 PM

Angry Ooooopsss

Been doing some re-wiring on Wolf3 when the FDD turn come on I push, maybe, a little to hard on the board and get a funny noise. Something like "craaaack"!!! Now I have no POST only one (1) long beep and three (3) short ones. The mobo tray is out of place but that's it.So, no Wolf3 till futher "repairs" are done.

I took some 'nervocalm', that's why I am so easy going with this. Anyway I believe some KICKING!!!, SHOUTING AND CRYING are in order.

ASUS G73 SW, IE7, 20 GB DD3 ram

AOA Team fah

Last edited by Strongwolf; 26th November, 2007 at 10:47 PM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 26th November, 2007, 11:44 PM
AOA's resident barman

Send a message via ICQ to Favu Send a message via AIM to Favu Send a message via MSN to Favu

try here = Bios Central

EDIT = or here = PC Hell: BIOS Error Beep Codes
might be a RAM error from what I saw

Custom 8-bit Sharp Z80 @ 4.194304 MHz
Reflective LCD @ 160 × 144
8 kByte S-RAM

Last edited by Favu; 26th November, 2007 at 11:44 PM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 26th November, 2007, 11:50 PM

The board looks good, so far althou it sounds like the end of the world. The mobo tray is busted but it can be fix. Take everything out and leave only the barebones.
Will follow the links. THK Favu.

AOA Team fah
Old 27th November, 2007, 04:40 AM

Got the post back. No beeps this time. I will put 2 XFX 8600 in SLI config. Got almost everything installed on the tray, will continue tomorrow.

Q: Can I cut some out put cables from a psu without danger and/or lost of performance and stability???

AOA Team fah
Old 27th November, 2007, 12:13 PM
AOA's resident barman

Send a message via ICQ to Favu Send a message via AIM to Favu Send a message via MSN to Favu

Yes you can cut unused cables, however, you shouldn't - the ends can short on the case or on your most expensive kit, or against each other, which is NEVER fun. And a PSU can store a deadly amount of electricity for many hours (in some cases days) after it has been removed from the power

The best option would be to remove the PSU from the power for about a week, and then open it up and de-solder the cables you don't need from the circuit board. Well, I say best option - it's what I would do!

disclaimer - you follow my advice, you take the risks

Custom 8-bit Sharp Z80 @ 4.194304 MHz
Reflective LCD @ 160 × 144
8 kByte S-RAM

Old 27th November, 2007, 02:19 PM

Send a message via MSN to Samuknow

You can cut them but make sure you cover the ends of the wires. Favu's idea will give a cleaner result. But beware of death and other bad things. I have done it before and it turns out nice. Make sure to leave a few leads just in case.
Old 27th November, 2007, 04:44 PM
Irreverent Query Chairman

One thing that works well for this purpose is that liquid rubber dip that is used for tool grips - just dip the cut end of the lead into the stuff and let it cure. Then if you ever decide that you want to use the lead again just strip the gook off and it's good to go.

It comes in colors, too.
#1: Tt Armor, ASUS Maximus Extreme, QX9650@4.1G, 8G Corsair Dominator GT DDR3-2000, Corsair HX1050, H2O-Swiftech, Gigabyte GTX470/Arctic Accelero Xtreme Plus II, Intel 520 SSD, Kingston SSD, 2xRaptor 150G RAID0, Win 7 Pro 64
#2: Tt Shark, ASUS P5Q Pro Turbo, Q6600@3.8G, 4G HyperX-1600, Corsair HX850, CoolerMaster V10, 2xASUS 9600GT, 2xRaptor 74G RAID0, OCZ Vertex 4 SSD, Gentoo/siduction Linux [64-bit]
#3, #4: Opteron 170@2.75G nude, A8N-SLI Deluxe, Gentoo

AOA Folding @HomeOur sister site: www.gamersonlinux.com
Old 27th November, 2007, 08:45 PM

Is a pity to cut stuff from that Zippy psu but it came with so many cables that no matter what I do it ends up been a mess. Are you sure I need to wait a week or so? Is there a way to drain it?

AOA Team fah
Old 29th November, 2007, 09:07 AM

Wolf3 is online. No cables have been cut yet.

AOA Team fah
Old 30th November, 2007, 09:05 PM
Asst. BBS Administrator

Yaay, that's good news! Zippy makes very good PSU's, it would be a shame to hack some of the cables off. Maybe just fold them out of the way with a zip tie, and use one or two of those little holder things that you peel a strip off the back of them and then stick them where needed?
Old 6th December, 2007, 02:20 AM

Try all that, just not enought space. Do a top fan mod between the psu and the DVDRW and put my raid 0 on 5.25 bays. Got the badges THK.

AOA Team fah