AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > CRASHED!

CRASHED! A topic for SEVERE and immediate Hardware and Operating System FAILURES. We will try to get you up again. NOT for Optimization questions!

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 7th December, 2007, 05:07 AM

Boot process stops before video is active. No first beep.

This is on a older socket 7 MB (Soyo SY-5SSM) with on board video. The problem started a week ago and got worse. At first I thought it was a thermal issue after the system was running for awhile, but it then started doing it when it was cold.

The boot process stops before the on board video is active and I don't get the single 'beep' indicating the Post was ok. The board has no AGP slot and I don't have any PCI video card (not that that is the problem).

What I have done;
1. Removed everything but the processor and tried it again,
2. Disconnected and re-connected all the cables,
3. Removed everything from the case including the MB and re-assembled it,
4. Checked the newer PS for voltages,
5. Pulled the CMOS battery, checked the voltage and cleared the memory (jumper).

Question; The memory test is after the video fires up, correct?

I know this is a old MB, but before I tell the owner to trash the MB, I wanted to see if I missed anything. BTW, this was in storage for a number of years in a damp basement. There is alot of rust on parts of the case and rear panel. There is only a single HDD, a optical drive, a modem and NIC card.
Old 7th December, 2007, 05:29 AM

Send a message via MSN to Samuknow

Video usually comes on right away. That is how you can see the POST process. Including mem test, drive detection, and so on.

Sounds like the board has finally passed on.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 7th December, 2007, 01:15 PM

I don't see the Post process. I don't get that single confirmation 'beep' at startup. It just sits there running, doesn't shut down with a black screen.
Old 7th December, 2007, 02:01 PM

Send a message via MSN to Samuknow

I was giving you the normal order of the POST. If no video, it could be the board or CPU.

Question; The memory test is after the video fires up, correct? Yes
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 8th December, 2007, 08:46 PM
Asst. BBS Administrator

The m'board may have gone south for the winter. Had two Soyo's that developed scorch marks, you might want to have a look for same.
Old 8th December, 2007, 08:51 PM

I looked the board over with a magnifying glass and it looked good.
Old 14th December, 2007, 02:49 AM
Asst. BBS Administrator

You could advertise for a PCI Vidcard in the Classifieds. Sorry, my olde Voodoo needs to rest in its drawer. Until needed for, well, you know!
Old 14th December, 2007, 01:44 PM

Not worth it.
Old 14th December, 2007, 02:28 PM
Chief Systems Administrator

POST starts before the video is initialised. Getting the video up and running happens during the POST process. There's stuff like chipset initialisation and RAM sizing/configuration happens before the video is initialised. If the RAM sizing/configuration fails, then the BIOS usually beeps at you. This happens before the RAM check that you see on screen, as the BIOS needs a little RAM in order to complete the POST.

So, if you have a mobo with just processor and no RAM then it should beep at you. If it doesn't, then something's stopping the POST from starting - and it's usually cheaper to pick up a new board than try to fix the old one.