AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > CRASHED!

CRASHED! A topic for SEVERE and immediate Hardware and Operating System FAILURES. We will try to get you up again. NOT for Optimization questions!

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 2nd January, 2008, 08:05 AM

Shutdown Issue

Got a new comp running and it was working okay for the first month. Now it constantly shuts down (not just restarting) after a few mins / hrs. I am suspecting an overheating issue but after reapplying the thermal paste (arctic silver 5) and lowering the cpu multiplier, this thing still is shutting down. So question is:

1. Is this just a overheating issue?
2. Is it possible to be a hardware issue (aside from the cpu fan) such as e.g. the PSS?
3. Would it help at all if I reinstall Vista on the machine?

My specs are as follow:
- eVGA GeForce 7950 GX2
- 700W Raidmax PSS
- eVGA nForce 680i MBoard
- SB Audigy
- Dual Core 2 Duo 4600
- stock cpu fan

Thanks,
RAnimboY
Old 2nd January, 2008, 12:23 PM

Send a message via MSN to Samuknow

DO you have a program to monitor temps installed? If you think heat, that is a place to start. A PSU is a possibility. Even though it is 700 watts, it may be weak or faulty.

Post up some temps and watch them from the time you start the machine to when it shuts down. Look for spikes...
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 3rd January, 2008, 03:11 AM

I installed some program and started monitoring it.

So far the CPU been sitting around 40C, while the GPU were ranging between 50C - 65C.

Unable to really see any huge spike at the time of crashing.

Any clue?
Old 3rd January, 2008, 03:26 AM
Chief BBS Administrator
BassTeroids Champion, Global Player Champion, Aim & Fire Champion, Puzzle Maniax Champion, Othello Champion, Canyon Glider Champion, Unicycle Challenge Champion, YetiSports 9: Final Spit Champion, Zed Champion

Send a message via ICQ to Gizmo Send a message via AIM to Gizmo Send a message via MSN to Gizmo Send a message via Yahoo to Gizmo Send a message via Skype™ to Gizmo

Did you change any voltage settings in the BIOS.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 3rd January, 2008, 04:49 AM
Asst. BBS Administrator

How's the airflow through the case? You know, cool air in becomes hot air going out. I'm moving about 100 cfm through mine. Mine will do the shutdown dance if I let the intake filter get too dirty. Cleaning it every six days does the trick.
Old 4th January, 2008, 02:31 AM

voltage is default of the mboard and I have also clean up the dust within a week... As for airflow I don't have/know anything to measure ATM so I can't really tell you, but it appears that the temperatures aren't too high so I am not sure if it's really a heating issue anymore, it might be that the PSU is faulty or it doesn't have enough power for whatever reason.

If anyone else has any other insight please let me know, o.w. I think i will go ahead and purchase another PSU in the next day or two =\
Old 4th January, 2008, 04:05 AM

Send a message via MSN to Samuknow

If temps are ok, I would make a strong guess that it is the psu....

I do have a box now that is locking and rebooting and it is the mobo....
Old 7th January, 2008, 10:20 PM

Guys, a new PSU (Ultra X-Connect 2 550W) did the trick, and given that is the shortest lived PSU I ever owned besides DOA (2 months!)... I'd recommend that you guys think carefully before buying a Raidmax (esp. 700SS) PSU.
Old 7th January, 2008, 11:18 PM
Steve Jobs

I must say, the quality of PSUs has absolutely gone down the crapper in the last 4 years.

It used to be that if it said 400W on the side, it actually delivered the goods, now you get a $25 piece of crap assembled in a sweat shop somewhere with a 600W rating, that could barely push 300 without huffing and puffing.

My machine is a watercooled Athlon 64, overclocked and overvolted to hell, with a modified 6800GT, that too overvolted, overvolted ram, NB, and just that 6800GT alone is 90W. All that, with 6 hard disks is running on a 431W Enermax from 2001.

I paid $295 for that PSU seven (7) years ago, and even with that power hog of a machine, running 24/7 non stop, that little Enermax has never faultered. Enermax, PC Power and Cooling, Seasonic, and a handful of other brands have a reputation for building quality units that cost alot but are worthwhile in the long run.

This thread should be an important piece of advice for any computer enthusiast, spend some cash on your PSU, and get a quality brand, not just the one with the highest number written on it.
Running Fedora 15 Linux (GNOME 3)
Dual Dell 2407WFP
AOA Team fah

Drivers, Games, Demos, Mods and Overclocking Tools At AOAFiles