AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > CRASHED!

CRASHED! A topic for SEVERE and immediate Hardware and Operating System FAILURES. We will try to get you up again. NOT for Optimization questions!

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 6th January, 2008, 12:30 PM
Penguin Bashing Champion, Action Fish Champion, Cat Bowling Champion, Seconds Of Madness Champion

Strange Occurences

Hi guys,

right, ive got my core 2 duo and my Striker Extreme. I was running them with my ol' 7900GT without any problems really. Ive just got a 8800GTX (woohoo) and i had problems right from the word go. It wouldnt fit, lawlz. I finally got it in, which was a painful effort. I streched both my arm muscles trying to bend the case frame...which didnt work btw...

Anyhow, now that its in there, i started to have a few issues. First of all the beast was getting up to 80C ish in games, which i did not like. The whole computer has then started to go funny. Ive had a couple of Blue Screens that ive never encountered. They were making noises, scritchyish sounds. The computers also been rebooting with no warning. Usually when im browsing the net or listeing to music. I was thinking it was some kind of virus, till it started to muck up the boot routine. Just now, about 5 minutes ago, it did its blue screen and rebooted. But then the Asus ROG screen glitched out, and stopped loading. I opened the case, and it felt quite warm inside, the Mobo heatsinks especially. The temp monitor said that the CPU and MoBo were both at about 45C. Im wondering what the problem is guys. Could the GTX be so hot that this hot air rises into the MoBo heatsinks, and starts cooking the chipsets etc?
Any kind of help would be apreciated. Thanks.
GPU: MSI 8800GTX HD-OC 610/1000 768MB
PSU: Thermaltake Toughpower 750W
Case: Thermaltake Shark Black Aluminium Case
HD: Hitachi 160GB 8MB Cache 7200rpm and a Western Digital WD2500KS 250GB 16MB Cache 7200rpm
Sound Card: Sound Blaster Audigy 2 ZS
Speakers: Logitech Z-640
DVD Burner: LG GSA-4163BBK Dual Layer
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 6th January, 2008, 02:05 PM
AOA's resident barman

Send a message via ICQ to Favu Send a message via AIM to Favu Send a message via MSN to Favu

Hmm, thats odd, alright.

I would suggest maybe removing the card and seeing if the BSODs and freezes and whatnot go away. Then Putting it back in and seeing if they come back

Custom 8-bit Sharp Z80 @ 4.194304 MHz
Reflective LCD @ 160 × 144
8 kByte S-RAM

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 6th January, 2008, 09:22 PM
Penguin Bashing Champion, Action Fish Champion, Cat Bowling Champion, Seconds Of Madness Champion

Ill try putting the 7900GT in later, not really possible at the moment.

Its just done another blue screen, heres some of what it said.
DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL
NVNRM.sys address B9C81350 base at B9BFF000.

Does this tell anyone anything? The microsoft error report also contained mabye some kind of dump file. Mini010708-02.dmp. Would this help anyone?
HD: Hitachi 160GB 8MB Cache 7200rpm and a Western Digital WD2500KS 250GB 16MB Cache 7200rpm
Old 6th January, 2008, 09:31 PM
Asst. BBS Administrator

Needing to force it into place isn't good. Is it too long, or too thick? It'd be nice if manufacturers printed the card's dimensions on the box, some modern Vidcards are too dang big for comfort.
Old 6th January, 2008, 10:58 PM

Oh no, it just involved some turning and sliding. I had to put it in vertical, to get it past the case lip, then i has to twist it round so it was horizontal again, then slide it into the slot.
Old 7th January, 2008, 08:02 PM
Asst. BBS Administrator

Perhaps using the Driver Cleaner(in AOA Files) and then installing the new driver will do the trick?
Old 7th January, 2008, 09:29 PM
Member / Master of Toiletries

Send a message via MSN to Toro Send a message via Skype™ to Toro

In my experience DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL is more often than not a software issue.

Before installing the 8800, did you uninstall all the old drivers first?

Sounds like driver cleaner might be the way forward

"Check the Forum Rules Announcement, listed there."

AOA Team fah

Old 8th January, 2008, 02:07 AM
AOA Staff

Send a message via AIM to robbie Send a message via MSN to robbie Send a message via Yahoo to robbie Send a message via Skype™ to robbie

Does your PS have enough juice to handle the new card?
Buy it, Sell it, or Trade it in the AoA classifieds!!
AOA Team fah
Old 8th January, 2008, 04:31 AM

I havnt done driver cleaner or removed the drivers before swapping it in, because it was using the latest set from Nvidia. Ive put the newest ones one again, but i dont know if its had an effect. I have been running the card for about a month before all this started happening. The PSU's fine, it should run it with no problems. Ive noticed that it dosnt do it when its colder. These last couple of days have been rainy and quite cold, and the computer hasnt restarted by itself.

If it gets worse, should i put on the optional fan Asus gave me. You put it on the Northbridge i think. It says though that you should only use it when you have passive cooling on your CPU. It says it disrupts the airflow from the CPU, which usually cools the northbridge, mosfets, whatever. Would it be ok to use it?
Old 8th January, 2008, 11:32 AM
Benchmarker

Send a message via Yahoo to chrisbard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minibull View Post
Ill try putting the 7900GT in later, not really possible at the moment.

Its just done another blue screen, heres some of what it said.
DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL
NVNRM.sys address B9C81350 base at B9BFF000.

Does this tell anyone anything? The microsoft error report also contained mabye some kind of dump file. Mini010708-02.dmp. Would this help anyone?

Try uninstalling all nVidia drivers, then reinstalling the latest ForceWare, making sure nVidia firewall will not install. Turn off DEP (XP SP2).

I've seen their firewall driver/software cause this error before.
I've heard that linux community came up with better implemented security in it's latest Linux Mint Gold version, it's actually preventing the user to log in, thus posing 0 risk in contamining the computer with malware! Well done to the open source community!

Old 9th January, 2008, 11:23 AM

Well, ive done that and it seems to have stopped for now. Ill wait for another hot day to really test it. If it is heat, i dont know what i can do about it. Fitting a NB heatsink wont work, coz the 8800GTX is so frickin huge. I just hope it was software related.

Thanks guys.
Old 9th January, 2008, 02:04 PM
AOA's resident barman

Send a message via ICQ to Favu Send a message via AIM to Favu Send a message via MSN to Favu

Hehe, yeah, you should always uninstall / reinstall the drivers (And prefferably use driver cleaner) if you are changing your GFX card, even if it is one from the same manufacturer or family of cards

Glad its working for you now

Custom 8-bit Sharp Z80 @ 4.194304 MHz
Reflective LCD @ 160 × 144
8 kByte S-RAM

Old 9th January, 2008, 05:43 PM
Asst. BBS Administrator

Shuh, that's right--it's summer in Kiwi land. Heat could be an issue. If fitting a NB fan can't be done perhaps more throughput would help? More powerful case fans?
Old 9th January, 2008, 05:43 PM

I had some heat issues on my P5N32-E SLI with 2 7800GTS, the thermal paste Asus uses is not very good and the sinks were not flat. A quick lapping (a real pain with the heatpipes) and replacing them using AS Ceramique cured all problems.
Old 12th January, 2008, 05:04 AM

Yeah, lapping might work, but id rather keep the 3 year warrenty, and send it back if it plays up more. I do have a NB fan, but it says you shouldnt use it, as i said before, coz it disrupts the airflow out of the CPU.