AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > CRASHED!

CRASHED! A topic for SEVERE and immediate Hardware and Operating System FAILURES. We will try to get you up again. NOT for Optimization questions!

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 22nd January, 2008, 03:32 AM

Did I kill my mb?

firstly, I have a few USB brackets and I notice they are not all wired the same. example A. with the vcc at opposite ends . B. with vcc at the same end. would/could damage occur when using A on a MB with B? I think it did a number on my EP-8NPA SLI.
pictures of the two pin-outs cannot be uploaded because they're too big! so, A. for USB2.0-Ports 5/6;
1 USB+5V 2 USB+5V
3 USB P5- 4 USB P6-
5 USB P5+ 6 USB P6+
7 GRND 8 GRND
10 NC
B. the other that I believe is USB1.1;
1 VCC 2 GRND
3 NEG 4 GRND
5 POS 6 POS
7 GRND 8 NEG
10 VCC
so I plugged B onto MB A. now MB A doesn't post. spins the fans but no drives, CD or HDD. me thinks it is dead now.

Ron

AOA Team fah

Last edited by dabaerman; 22nd January, 2008 at 03:36 AM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 22nd January, 2008, 03:52 PM

I've done the same thing, I lost the usb output on the two external connectors but the usb in the I/O section still functioned. I imagine it would be possible to kill the board.
Old 23rd January, 2008, 11:35 AM
Chief Systems Administrator

It's possible you might have killed it. Depending on how the sockets were wired, you might have wired VCC and Ground together.
Old 25th January, 2008, 02:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Áedán View Post
It's possible you might have killed it. Depending on how the sockets were wired, you might have wired VCC and Ground together.

may have done that. will get more details later. thanx,

Ron

AOA Team fah
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 25th January, 2008, 05:22 PM

Continuing the saga of my misadventures with USB, I managed to wreck a pen drive by using it to test
my front panel USB. now not recognized by XP. of course I thought about backing up the
drive, as I was plugging it in. any chance for recovery?

The other issue was cleared up by purchasing a new case with all the right USB cabling and a new mb.

Ron

AOA Team fah
Old 27th January, 2008, 09:51 PM
Asst. BBS Administrator

Glad that it was an inexpensive fix. Yeah, right!
Old 28th January, 2008, 07:42 PM
Chief BBS Administrator

We all have our missing thumb nails and split lips, sorry ya got brused here.
."
DKE

"All that we do is touched by Ocean
Yet we remain on the shore of what we know."
Richard Wilbur

[img]/forum/attachments/random-nonsense/16515-sigs-dan_drag.jpg[/img]
Subscribers! Ask Pitch about a Custom Sig Graphic

Old 8th February, 2008, 09:46 PM
AOA Staff

Good to know...
Why would USB have different wiring?
I have read several times in motherboard manuals to never plug a USB into the 1934 port on the board, but I don't think thats what Dabaerman is referring to?
I don't ever want to fry my motherboard this way?
PlayOnLinux 4.2.10
Linux Guides: PC Games Linux Beginners Tips Linux Games List
Mack Truck Dungeon Of Fire Spray Booth Tutorial
Old 8th February, 2008, 11:05 PM
Chief BBS Administrator
BassTeroids Champion, Global Player Champion, Aim & Fire Champion, Puzzle Maniax Champion, Othello Champion, Canyon Glider Champion, Unicycle Challenge Champion, YetiSports 9: Final Spit Champion, Zed Champion

Send a message via ICQ to Gizmo Send a message via AIM to Gizmo Send a message via MSN to Gizmo Send a message via Yahoo to Gizmo Send a message via Skype™ to Gizmo

USB does not; a USB plug of a particular type will always be wired a particular way. The problem is that when you are dealing with the motherboard headers, you aren't dealing with a USB plug, and the mobo makers are free to pin the header out any way they like. Being mobo makers, they tend to do just that.
Old 11th February, 2008, 04:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gizmo View Post
USB does not; a USB plug of a particular type will always be wired a particular way. The problem is that when you are dealing with the motherboard headers, you aren't dealing with a USB plug, and the mobo makers are free to pin the header out any way they like. Being mobo makers, they tend to do just that.
on that note: MSI motherboard headers, USB 2.0, are pined out differently on different socket A boards.
I have the backplane headers to prove it and some pics later.

Ron

AOA Team fah
Old 11th February, 2008, 04:33 AM
Chief BBS Administrator
BassTeroids Champion, Global Player Champion, Aim & Fire Champion, Puzzle Maniax Champion, Othello Champion, Canyon Glider Champion, Unicycle Challenge Champion, YetiSports 9: Final Spit Champion, Zed Champion

Send a message via ICQ to Gizmo Send a message via AIM to Gizmo Send a message via MSN to Gizmo Send a message via Yahoo to Gizmo Send a message via Skype™ to Gizmo

Quote:
Originally Posted by dabaerman View Post
on that note: MSI motherboard headers, USB 2.0, are pined out differently on different socket A boards.
I have the backplane headers to prove it and some pics later.

Ron
This is exactly why many case manufactures provide the USB header plugs that go to their front-panel USB connectors as a set of labeled single-pin plugs: you look at your mobo manual and plug the appropriately labeled plugs into their respective header pins on the mobo. This makes things a real PITA for the average Joe building a computer, but it's really the only option for case manufacturers in a world where mobo manufacturers can't agree among themselves (or even among different models from the same manufacturer, apparently) as to how the pins should be assigned.
Old 11th February, 2008, 05:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gizmo View Post
This is exactly why many case manufactures provide the USB header plugs that go to their front-panel USB connectors as a set of labeled single-pin plugs: you look at your mobo manual and plug the appropriately labeled plugs into their respective header pins on the mobo. This makes things a real PITA for the average Joe building a computer, but it's really the only option for case manufacturers in a world where mobo manufacturers can't agree among themselves (or even among different models from the same manufacturer, apparently) as to how the pins should be assigned.
you are correct! the individually labeled pins are a PITA. as I didn't have the original case wiring,
and I THOUGHT I could make one to work, I managed to kill a damn good board. oh well.

Ron

AOA Team fah
Old 11th February, 2008, 01:27 PM

Send a message via MSN to Samuknow

I think, again think, that that is not the case (no pun) anymore. I have put together dozens of computers over the last year and they all seem to have the same pin out on the board.
Old 11th February, 2008, 09:26 PM
AOA Staff

Now I'm going to pay special attention to the headers before plugging in the USB cable.
Is there a specific standard for the color of wires to each pin?
PlayOnLinux 4.2.10
Linux Guides: PC Games Linux Beginners Tips Linux Games List
Mack Truck Dungeon Of Fire Spray Booth Tutorial
Old 11th February, 2008, 10:59 PM
Space Invaders Champion, Takion Champion

I don't know of a color standard. They usually just have a little writing on them to indicate which they are. And if you just write down the color coding on a piece of paper you can figure it out from there. Funny how we have USB as a great standard, and yet the headers for it are so varied, with no standard.
"this happened to me once, only i kept wiping my nose in my sleep, so it was my hands that were covered in blood when i woke up. i saw my hands, and was like, "dear diary, all i remember is watching half a movie and falling asleep on the couch?" -Ryan North