AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > CRASHED!

CRASHED! A topic for SEVERE and immediate Hardware and Operating System FAILURES. We will try to get you up again. NOT for Optimization questions!

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 24th January, 2008, 01:01 AM

USB/Sound problem

Hey all, I have an ASUS M2N-E SLI MB with built in sound and usb2.0

I am currently using a USB mouse and the USB guitar hero controller and also a webcam. It tells me when i try to turn on the webcam that my USB bandwidth has exceeded.

The 1st thing i tried was to enter the BIOS menu and check that usb 2.0 is enabled... that is all fine.

The strange thing is if i restart my computer and then turn my webcam on it works. But I loose all sound.

Anyone have any ideas?

Much appreciated
Alan

EDIT: Everything also seems okay in the device manager.

Last edited by BMXAlan; 24th January, 2008 at 01:05 AM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 24th January, 2008, 02:58 AM

Send a message via MSN to Samuknow

Not too sure here.

Can you giver us you entire system specs? PSU, CPUI and all.

Also, how do you like that board. Been looking at one for my nephew....
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 24th January, 2008, 03:33 AM

May be IRQ sharing related. Check and see how many devices are sharing the same IRQ as the USB hubs.

Last edited by ccperf721p; 24th January, 2008 at 03:54 AM.
Old 24th January, 2008, 12:33 PM
Chief Systems Administrator

How are the devices connected to the computer? USB 1.1 devices connected to a USB 2.0 port communicate as USB 1.1 devices. Be careful, only devices that claim USB 2.0 Hi-Speed are actually fully USB 2.0 devices. Those that claim "Full Speed" are really only USB 1.1 devices (but that's covered under the USB 2.0 spec, so they can claim to be USB 2.0).

If they are USB 1.1 devices, then it's quite possible you have exceeded the bandwidth available.
Old 24th January, 2008, 01:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samuknow View Post
Not too sure here.

Can you giver us you entire system specs? PSU, CPUI and all.

Also, how do you like that board. Been looking at one for my nephew....
it's not a bad board other than this problem but i am unsure if its actually a hardware problem...

anyway, the spec of the pc
asus m2n e sli mb
amd64 x2 6000+ cpu
2gb kingston RAM
innovation 512mb geforce 7 graphics
OS = xp sp2

another thing that might help:
when i look at the USB controller bandwidth window it has the following

Controller bandwidth used
standard enhanced pci to usb controller
system reserved 10%
standard openHCD USB host controller
system reserved 25%
usb composite device 61%

a webcam requests 25% of the bandwidth which i think is a bit strange seen as though it doesnt send a lot of information to the pc.

i also have no idea what an IRQ is... im not very good with computers at the moment.

thanks for the help so far
Alan
Old 24th January, 2008, 02:35 PM

The webcam is actually using 61% of the bandwitdth (USB composite device is the webcam - composite because it's a camera and a microphone in the same package). That definately makes it a USB 1.1 device.

However, how are the devices arranged on the ports?
Old 24th January, 2008, 02:55 PM

Send a message via MSN to Samuknow

Are you using any of the headers on the board. If you are on one root device that could do it too.
Old 24th January, 2008, 04:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Áedán View Post
The webcam is actually using 61% of the bandwitdth (USB composite device is the webcam - composite because it's a camera and a microphone in the same package). That definately makes it a USB 1.1 device.

However, how are the devices arranged on the ports?

i have the mouse and the guitar hero controller in the 2 front ports which plug into the mb inside and the webcam is plugged into the back of the motherboard.

would this be effecting the sound?
as i said if the webcam does decide to work then the sound stops... then if i restart i get sound but no webcam

thanks
Old 24th January, 2008, 04:40 PM

I wouldn't have expected the webcam to affect the sound to be honest. However, ccperf's suggestion was to look at interrupts. You can do this by going to Control Panel -> System -> Hardware Tab -> Device Manager.
Once you're in Device Manager, select the View menu and choose "Resources by connection". That will bring up a list of four items. Expand the "Interrupt Request (IRQ)" section, and see if you can locate the sound card and anything else that might have the same number next to it.
Old 24th January, 2008, 05:10 PM

heres a screen shot of the IRQ thing.
Attached Thumbnails
USB/Sound problem-irq.jpg  
Old 24th January, 2008, 08:52 PM
Asst. BBS Administrator

Welcome to AOA Forums, BMXAlan!

I wonder if a USB keyboard is seen as ISA 1 Device? Just asking.
Old 25th January, 2008, 03:42 PM

its a USB mouse im using and a ps-2 keyboard. don't know if that would make any difference.
Old 25th January, 2008, 04:01 PM

Shouldn't matter, the IRQ's look decent.

Might try going into the bios under PnP/PCI config and set reset configuration data to enabled, reboot and set back to disabled.

Might also try to uninstalling usb hubs in device manager and allow windows to reinstall the drivers. (may have navigate your way around with the keyboard until it installs everything and you reboot)

Sorry I'm not of more help, haven't seen this one before.
Old 28th January, 2008, 01:02 AM

everything seems alright in the bios. could it be a hardware problem? it is my 1st build... so maybe i screwed something up or should that not affect it?
Old 8th February, 2008, 09:52 PM
AOA Staff

You may want to try swapping other USB devices with the webcam and see if the same thing happens. Like try a joystick instead of the guitar-hero controller or a printer instead of the webcam. This will determine if the problem is the webcam or the computer.
PlayOnLinux 4.2.10
Linux Guides: PC Games Linux Beginners Tips Linux Games List
Mack Truck Dungeon Of Fire Spray Booth Tutorial