AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > CRASHED!

CRASHED! A topic for SEVERE and immediate Hardware and Operating System FAILURES. We will try to get you up again. NOT for Optimization questions!

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 9th April, 2002, 06:06 PM

Send a message via AIM to Darkcobra

Computer keeps freezing!

So I'll be surfing the net or playing games and now my computer freezes all the time. I installed the new 4in1 4.38 mobo drivers. Everything ran well and now my comp keeps locking. I can boot into Win XP(I usually use WinME) but that freezes as well. I oc'ed my 1.4 t-bird a little to 1.552GHz and I oc'ed my vid card to 240/555. I was able to run 3dmark2k1 a few timesand it never froze and the new drivers increased my score. Now I can't figure out why after a few days of installing the mobo drivers, why it keeps locking. I can't get any games to play that well, b/c they freeze. I also installed PCmark from madonion and installed the new patch for Medal of Honor:Allied Assault. My comp freezes still after I uninstalled both programs. Help.
Old 9th April, 2002, 07:26 PM
Banned

I've heard some complaints from others of similar problems with the new 4-in-1 drivers... others have gone back to like version 4.35 and those seem to be working fine for them now... all files are available here
Old 10th April, 2002, 12:18 AM
Asst. BBS Administrator

Accepted wisdom can seem to indicate that the latest drivers for everything are a must. In real life.... older drivers may be the best way to go. Personally, if the old drivers work fine, I'm loathe to ""Improve"" things.
Old 10th April, 2002, 02:15 AM

Re: Computer keeps freezing!

Quote:
Originally posted by Darkcobra
So I'll be surfing the net or playing games and now my computer freezes all the time. I installed the new 4in1 4.38 mobo drivers. Everything ran well and now my comp keeps locking. I can boot into Win XP(I usually use WinME) but that freezes as well. I oc'ed my 1.4 t-bird a little to 1.552GHz and I oc'ed my vid card to 240/555. I was able to run 3dmark2k1 a few timesand it never froze and the new drivers increased my score. Now I can't figure out why after a few days of installing the mobo drivers, why it keeps locking. I can't get any games to play that well, b/c they freeze. I also installed PCmark from madonion and installed the new patch for Medal of Honor:Allied Assault. My comp freezes still after I uninstalled both programs. Help.
Sounds like your overclocking isnt stable to me.

Get rid of your overclocking and see if things get any better.

If that dosent help post back.

Best of luck in the future all my friends.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 18th April, 2002, 08:43 AM

Ok, i set everything to default. My computer still freezes at times. I tried reinstalling the mobo drivers to a previous 4.37 4-in-1 driver and my computer freezes when the progress bar proceeds or freezes after the progress bar finishes. I can't install any games, it says there is a bad installation file or the file is corrupt. Or I get a I/O error that basically says the same thing about a bad installation file. My computer wouldn't let me get a dsl connection so I uninstalled my firewall. Now I can't reinstall that. I get the same error message. I can't boot into winME at all. I get past the screen splash and then I get a gray screen with the cursor but no desktop and no safe mode tags. I hit ctrl-alt-del and i get no programs in the running programs box. I can boot into winXP and that freezes once in a while. The install game problem I wrote about above is in winXP. I don't know if my oses are dying or what. I tested my memory and they seem to be functional. I keep getting blue screens in xp saying page file in wrong page or something. Or I get a blue screen saying some other mesage. I forget what it says now. Any suggestions? Thanks for the previous replies guys!
Old 18th April, 2002, 12:59 PM
Banned

Yup, it's "THE CURSE OF THE DREADED DUST BUNNIES"

coming soon to pooters near you!

BRUNO:-D
Old 18th April, 2002, 08:55 PM
Asst. BBS Administrator

Welcome to AOA Forums, Darkcobra!

As you've clocked everything (?) back down to stock, it looks like that old favorite "format c:" may be the your only choice. Has the weather become significantly warmer in your area? If so, a dust patrol through your box is a good idea.
Old 22nd April, 2002, 09:20 PM

Sorry for the delay about replying. I've be trying to retrace my steps to see what happened and I can't think of anything I have done to make the system mess up like that. Yeah, I guess I might have to format C again. I wished I didn't have to, but I guess that's my only option. Question: I have winXP on another hard drive, but I had winME installed first on my first hard drive. If I reinstall ME, will that mess up the boot order with XP? Also, when I load up XP, I now noticed that when I uninstalled my nvidia det. drivers 28.32 (I think that is the file)and reinstalled them the device manager says that my monitor is a generic plug and play. It used to say GS790. That is my correct monitor. How do I change it back to my original setting under device manager. My system no longer has the option "optimized" for refresh rate. What can I do?
Old 24th April, 2002, 10:19 PM
AOA Staff

Send a message via MSN to mookydooky

Once you install XP, you can change the boot order in boot.ini. You can also get the driver for your monitor from the company that makes it.

AOA Team fah

我喜欢大屁股, 我不能骗你..... 他们弟兄不能否认......
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 26th April, 2002, 09:53 AM

Ever try Norton Ghost 2002 or Drive Image or Hard Drive Mechanic ? I listed these in my order of preference but check them out for yourself. I am an ardent user of Ghost and find it indespensible when an over clock has cook my registry to the point of unbootedness! (is that a word? I guess so!)
ASROCK: 1 * BIOSTAR: 1 * ASUS: 5 * CHAINTECH: 7 * GIGABYTE: 2 *IWILL: 1 * MSI: 3* TYAN: 2
175+ GHZ total power for PC Perspective Killer Frogs Climate Prediction Team as The Uncle B's!!
and more coming all the time!

I'm the Uncle your Aunt won't talk about. Go ahead and pull my finger!
Old 26th April, 2002, 09:59 AM
Banned

I would cool that sucker down. They run HOT stock. OPEN that case up and let it breathe. Hell, I don't even know where my case cover is, and I have 3/4 extra fans running on a separate P/S.

But, then again.

Sometimes window just deteriodrates, or the drive gets a glitch.

save what you can and start over...

But get the temps down 1st. I'M SERIOUS!

BRUNO

Last edited by akaBruno; 26th April, 2002 at 10:24 AM.
Old 27th April, 2002, 04:26 PM

If you are using the nVidia beta's 28.+'s then you can uncheck the RunDLL32 box for the NVCplDaemon Initialize ( and the nvwiz while you're at it ) in the msconfig. Cured me right up after pulling my hair out for 2 days.
Old 28th April, 2002, 03:55 AM
AOA Staff

Send a message via AIM to robbie Send a message via MSN to robbie Send a message via Yahoo to robbie Send a message via Skype™ to robbie

check your memory timings. I had a prob like this. If your mem timings are to high you might get lockups or random reboots.

Rob
Buy it, Sell it, or Trade it in the AoA classifieds!!
AOA Team fah
Old 5th May, 2002, 04:39 PM
AOA Staff

Send a message via AIM to robbie Send a message via MSN to robbie Send a message via Yahoo to robbie Send a message via Skype™ to robbie

ya know I JUSTED noticed that you got a NEW monitor. I use to have trouble when I played games cuz I was using the some funky beta drivers for my video card.

Make sure that you installed the monitor driver and update your video drivers.

I hope ya got it fixed

Rob
Buy it, Sell it, or Trade it in the AoA classifieds!!
AOA Team fah