AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > CRASHED!

CRASHED! A topic for SEVERE and immediate Hardware and Operating System FAILURES. We will try to get you up again. NOT for Optimization questions!

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 12th March, 2008, 07:41 PM

Exclamation Crashed! Unmountable_boot_volume - Error Loading Os

sony vaio vgc-ra840g desktop comp 2ghz, 250gb, 2mb ram. so here it is...

trojan.downloader virus lead to TCP/IP failure; unable to access internet, although it says it is connected; ieframe dnserror; tried command prompt and flushing dns; then was in the process of reinstalling TCP/IP when computer shut off and was in a never ending loop of going to a - start in safe mode option screen; no matter what the choice the computer would restart to that screen; after holding f5 i chose stop restart when computer doesnt repsond on safe mode option screen; thus computer went to blue screen stating "UNMOUNTABLE_BOOT_VOLUME"; tried to reset bios then it went to a error loading operating system no matter what i do i cannot restart in safe mode. however i am able to recover, but i have very vital projects on the vaio that i have been working on for 11 months. the comp was fine 3 days ago, but it was infected with tht trojan.

just fyi, i removed the trojan by turning off system restore, the virus was not found after this but i think the system was still infected due to what happend above

looking forward to your wisdom!

Last edited by nicklegendco; 12th March, 2008 at 07:48 PM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 13th March, 2008, 12:07 AM
Space Invaders Champion, Takion Champion

So you just need to get the data off, at least? For that, I'd recommend using this and moving the data onto an external drive for now. Just burn the image to a disc. Don't drag and drop the download onto it. When you finish burning it there should be many folders and files when you look at it.

Just boot up with it in your drive, and make sure that the BIOS is set to boot from the optical drive before the hard drive. It should start right up, and if you plug in externals in it should detect them. It should detect your HD and allow you to pull files off of it. If not, I can help you out a little bit. It is Linux, but it's fairly easy to follow. You should be able to pull it off.

Others may have ideas for restoring the OS besides a complete reformat. I'm assuming Windows XP or Vista?
"this happened to me once, only i kept wiping my nose in my sleep, so it was my hands that were covered in blood when i woke up. i saw my hands, and was like, "dear diary, all i remember is watching half a movie and falling asleep on the couch?" -Ryan North

Last edited by Redroar; 13th March, 2008 at 12:09 AM. Reason: Bad link
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 13th March, 2008, 02:31 AM
Member/Contributer

You could try a repair install, and a driver reinstall.

But it is best if you backup your data first. Basically you are looking at a full reinstall to completly fix the problem.

Corsair AX650
Asus P8H77-M PRO
i7 3770 (non K series)
- Noctua NH-L12 Low Profile CPU Cooler
2x8GB G.Skill Ripjaws X
Sapphire 7970
2 x SanDisk Extreme 120GB RAID 0
Western Digital Green 3TB
Asus Xonar Essence STX
TP Link TL-WN881ND
Fractal Design Arc Mini
- 2x Noctua NF-P12 120mm, 2x Noctua NF-P14 FLX 140mm, NZXT Sentry 2 LCD Fan Controller
Asus ML249H
Old 14th March, 2008, 03:21 AM

Send a message via MSN to Samuknow

Just had something similar happen to my wifes PC. I have the drive in my machine now. I am copying the rest of the data after having to use File scavenger to recover them. I though I was a dead man. Some how it is my fault. At least I have all of her stuff.

The safest bet is to get the data off of the drive. A repair install should work, but things can go wrong.
Old 15th March, 2008, 04:43 AM
AOA Staff

If the hard drive still works you can purchase a USB/IDE/SATA adapter and copy all of your important data off the drive to another computer. Then start working on it to get your booting back.
PlayOnLinux 4.2.10
Linux Guides: PC Games Linux Beginners Tips Linux Games List
Mack Truck Dungeon Of Fire Spray Booth Tutorial
Old 30th March, 2008, 09:45 PM

Send a message via MSN to Rondog

Unmountable boot volume is generally easy to fix, if you have another computer. Using command prompt (start->run->cmd) run checkdisk which the command is "chkdsk x: /r" where is the letter your HDD is given when plugged into the alternate PC.

Rig 1: Intel Core i5 750,4gb,HD6870,500gb,W7 Ult x64
Old 31st March, 2008, 10:51 AM

Send a message via MSN to Samuknow

Booting to a windows CD can get you there also. After that try " .