AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > CRASHED!

CRASHED! A topic for SEVERE and immediate Hardware and Operating System FAILURES. We will try to get you up again. NOT for Optimization questions!

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 26th May, 2008, 06:48 PM

blank screen but OS is booting

hello,

some days ago, when i tabbed from the browser back to a game everything worked normal for about 5 second but then suddenly the screen turned black. The monitor was still getting power but seemed to be in stand by mode.
Because nothing else helped i pushed the reset button an hoped everything will work as usual after rebooting.

Unfortunately the screen still remains blank and the POST code 7F is shown on the mainboard.
The strange thing is, that if i now press F1 the system seems to boot normaly. After a while i can hear the typical Windows Sound and it is also possible to shut the system down with a shortcut key on my keyboard, followed by the Shutting-Down-Melody of Windows and a normal shutdown.

I already checked the monitor with another machine and it works fine, then i tried 2 other graphic cards but the error remains the same. Resetting Bios also made no difference.
Now i don't know what else i could try to get the system working again or at least, how to figure out what part is damaged and needs to be replaced.

Components:
CPU: AMD Athlon64 3200+ 2 GHz tray S 939 Venice E6
MB: Epox EP-9NDA3+ Socket 939 nForce3 Ultra
RAM: 1024MB DDRRAM Corsair Value Select 1GB Kit PC400
PSU: Enermax ELT500AWT Liberty
GC: GeCube 256MB X1950XT AGP

The system was running with these components and the default clockrates for about 6 months without any problems.

I hope anyone has an idea how to fix it again

Last edited by GSlash; 26th May, 2008 at 06:52 PM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 28th May, 2008, 12:54 AM
Asst. BBS Administrator

Bump, all y'all.
Old 28th May, 2008, 01:15 AM
Member/Contributer

If possible can you try a PCI graphics card - so as to use a different slot.

Corsair AX650
Asus P8H77-M PRO
i7 3770 (non K series)
- Noctua NH-L12 Low Profile CPU Cooler
2x8GB G.Skill Ripjaws X
Sapphire 7970
2 x SanDisk Extreme 120GB RAID 0
Western Digital Green 3TB
Asus Xonar Essence STX
TP Link TL-WN881ND
Fractal Design Arc Mini
- 2x Noctua NF-P12 120mm, 2x Noctua NF-P14 FLX 140mm, NZXT Sentry 2 LCD Fan Controller
Asus ML249H
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 28th May, 2008, 08:58 AM

vid card

Has to be the video card. If you boot and can hear it cycle but absolutely nothing appears on screen-it's one of two things. Either the monitor isn't interpreting the signal-or it's not getting one. I'm no tech but that's pretty basic. If you can borrow a vid card, any kind AGP-PCI-and try that. Bet ya fried your card.
I just chkd your post code and something is out of order. I have an Epox 8k5a2+ and I don't have a post code that even has an "F" in it at all.
I don't see Epox useing different post codes on different boards. I could be wrong. You might look into that.

1ST Thermaltake V9 Case * Windows 7 x64 * Gigibyte GM-MA74GM-S2 * Phenom X4 9650 2.3Ghz @ 2.76GHz * G Skill 4 GB DDR2 * EVGA Geforce 9800GT 512GB * Antec 650w

Last edited by PorPorMe; 28th May, 2008 at 09:11 AM. Reason: adding info
Old 28th May, 2008, 06:42 PM
Chief BBS Administrator
BassTeroids Champion, Global Player Champion, Aim & Fire Champion, Puzzle Maniax Champion, Othello Champion, Canyon Glider Champion, Unicycle Challenge Champion, YetiSports 9: Final Spit Champion, Zed Champion

Send a message via ICQ to Gizmo Send a message via AIM to Gizmo Send a message via MSN to Gizmo Send a message via Yahoo to Gizmo Send a message via Skype™ to Gizmo

There are a lot of POST codes that the EpOX boards throw up that are undocumented. EpOX aren't the only ones that do that, either.

Based on his description, and the fact that he's already swapped video cards and monitors, I've got to suspect the mobo probably has a bad AGP slot.

However................Gslash, when reseting the BIOS, did you pull the battery as well? I've seen situations where simply setting the CMOS clear jumper wouldn't do the trick; you actually had to pull the battery as well.
Old 28th May, 2008, 06:59 PM

@gizmo
I tried several ways to reset the bios: with and without pulling the battery, same with the psu, varying the time before setting the jumper back to default position, holding the delete button while turning power on, ...
nothing worked

Last edited by GSlash; 28th May, 2008 at 09:13 PM.
Old 28th May, 2008, 10:13 PM

Send a message via MSN to Samuknow

Try a PCI video card as suggested before.
Old 13th June, 2008, 12:50 PM

Send a message via AIM to Necorum Send a message via MSN to Necorum Send a message via Yahoo to Necorum

From AoA in 2003 :{

error code "7F" PLEASE HELP!!!!!!!!!!!

The book, it say for 7F (I'll try to type this in verbatim)

1. Switch back to text mode if full screen logo is supported
-if errors occur, report errors and wait for keys
-if no errors occur or the F1 key is pressed to continue:
* Clear EPA or customization logo.

3dMark 11: P7023
3dMark Vantage: P31097

Last edited by Necorum; 13th June, 2008 at 12:52 PM.
Old 13th June, 2008, 02:35 PM
AOA Staff

May be a burnt out AGP slot like Gizmo said. Is there a way to check voltage on an AGP slot? Like using a voltage meter and touching the right pins?
That really sucks because without the AGP working the rest of the board is useless. I hope the PCI card works but we all know you won't get the same performance as an AGP card...
PlayOnLinux 4.2.10
Linux Guides: PC Games Linux Beginners Tips Linux Games List
Mack Truck Dungeon Of Fire Spray Booth Tutorial
Old 13th June, 2008, 07:15 PM
Pixel Slave to Satan

Check for bulging capacitors near to the AGP slot, or a burned out mosfet.