AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > CRASHED!

CRASHED! A topic for SEVERE and immediate Hardware and Operating System FAILURES. We will try to get you up again. NOT for Optimization questions!

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 3rd September, 2008, 09:55 AM

Post XP Won't Start After Rebuild

I just rebuilt my system (new cpu/mobo/ram/vid card). I am trying to reuse the old HDD with op system already installed. The system will POST ok and i can go into BIOS. But, windows XP won't start. Keeps rebooting. Won't start in safe mode or any of the choices. I guess i thought this should work. Have i missed something basic here? I really don't want to reformat.
Old 3rd September, 2008, 11:40 AM

Send a message via MSN to Rondog

Hi, welcome to AOA.

You will need to get your Windows CD, and run a repair install, to do this. Put the disk in, make sure the BIOS is set to boot off CD, the first screen asks you to press enter to install, or 'r' for recovery. Press enter to install, then it scans for previous installations of Windows, press 'r' to repair the existing install of Windows. Follow the prompts and re-install the drivers and you should be ok to go.

Rig 1: Intel Core i5 750,4gb,HD6870,500gb,W7 Ult x64
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!