AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > CRASHED!

CRASHED! A topic for SEVERE and immediate Hardware and Operating System FAILURES. We will try to get you up again. NOT for Optimization questions!

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 4th September, 2008, 02:54 AM

Send a message via MSN to Rondog

http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com gives page cannot be displayed error

I am currently unable to run windows updates on a PC here because when I navigate to Microsoft Windows Update it gives an error message stating the page cannot be displayed, i've tried in both IE6 and IE7, running both SP2 and SP3, and its the same message.

The autoupdate service is running, but I stopped it and restarted it, no change.

Has anyone else ever come across something like this?

Rig 1: Intel Core i5 750,4gb,HD6870,500gb,W7 Ult x64
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 4th September, 2008, 03:30 AM

If you have hit the solution at MS knowledge base you will find the about 6 or 7 fixes, very complicated.
There is a program to fix just the problem you have, I've got it, [or had it?] I've been looking for it but no luck so far. I don't remember the name of it. I used it once. I think I burned it but I have to go through a lot of disks to find try and find it. Will keep looking.

1ST Thermaltake V9 Case * Windows 7 x64 * Gigibyte GM-MA74GM-S2 * Phenom X4 9650 2.3Ghz @ 2.76GHz * G Skill 4 GB DDR2 * EVGA Geforce 9800GT 512GB * Antec 650w

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 4th September, 2008, 04:16 AM

Send a message via MSN to Samuknow

I have had this issue before. Every time I have had to reformat. As ppme states it is a little complicated on the mS page and I have never gotten it to work.
Old 4th September, 2008, 06:38 AM
Benchmarker

Send a message via Yahoo to chrisbard

Wot about using the automatic update feature?
I've heard that linux community came up with better implemented security in it's latest Linux Mint Gold version, it's actually preventing the user to log in, thus posing 0 risk in contamining the computer with malware! Well done to the open source community!

Old 4th September, 2008, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rondog View Post
I am currently unable to run windows updates on a PC here because when I navigate to Microsoft Windows Update it gives an error message stating the page cannot be displayed, i've tried in both IE6 and IE7, running both SP2 and SP3, and its the same message.

The autoupdate service is running, but I stopped it and restarted it, no change.

Has anyone else ever come across something like this?
1. First fix to try...Delete the Software Distribution folder.
Bootup in safemode, then open the Windows folder.
Scroll down till you find the SoftwareDistribution folder & rename it to SoftwareDistribution.old.
Reboot to normal & go back to Windows Update.
Reinstall the stuff you need (It will make a new SoftwareDistribution folder with all new files) to use the site and it should work fine.

If everything works fine go into the Windows folder and delete the SoftwareDistribution.old folder and you're good to go!
Attached Thumbnails
http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com gives page cannot be displayed error-softwaredistribution-folder.jpg  

EVGA GTX 470 SC 37% OC (855/1710/2004) 160.5Gbs
3DMark Vantage: P24352
3DMark 11: P5119

Last edited by MUff1N; 4th September, 2008 at 01:36 PM.
Old 4th September, 2008, 02:15 PM

I found the program I was looking for, I'll attach it. I've had to use it twice and I'm batting .500. Good luck! [read the info first!]

I found it last night sometime. We hours in the morning is probly more accurate. I posted it to you. Imagine my surprise when it's not here this morning. It's posted somewhere!
Attached Files
File Type: zip Dial-a-fix-v0.60.0.24.zip (328.1 KB, 3953 views)

1ST Thermaltake V9 Case * Windows 7 x64 * Gigibyte GM-MA74GM-S2 * Phenom X4 9650 2.3Ghz @ 2.76GHz * G Skill 4 GB DDR2 * EVGA Geforce 9800GT 512GB * Antec 650w

Old 4th September, 2008, 11:50 PM

Eureka!!

Fixed it.

chrisbard - autoupdate feature doesnt run at all.
Muff1n - Tried that, its not the the updates dont work, the web browser cannot even access the page.
PorPorMe - thank you very much but I managed to fix it last night.

Now, what I actually did, I noticed when opening Microsoft Windows Update it was redirecting to 127.0.0.1, flushing the DNS didnt work so I knew a browser hijacker was present, after a quick google of windowsupdate.microsoft.com and 127.0.0.1 I found out this is a rootkit by the name tssserv.sys found in windows\system32\drivers\etc, downloaded a fix called SDfix.exe which I will upload shortly. And bang! IT WORKS.

Thanks very much for your help guys.

Old 4th September, 2008, 11:56 PM

Well, that takes the fun out of things. Just a darned old bug. Shoot!

Last edited by PorPorMe; 4th September, 2008 at 11:57 PM.
Old 5th September, 2008, 04:05 AM
Chief BBS Administrator
BassTeroids Champion, Global Player Champion, Aim & Fire Champion, Puzzle Maniax Champion, Othello Champion, Canyon Glider Champion, Unicycle Challenge Champion, YetiSports 9: Final Spit Champion, Zed Champion

Send a message via ICQ to Gizmo Send a message via AIM to Gizmo Send a message via MSN to Gizmo Send a message via Yahoo to Gizmo Send a message via Skype™ to Gizmo

Rondog, ClamAV flagged your upload as being infected with a trojan, although AVG said not. So I ran it through some other scanners and it came back clean. I've therefor cleared it through, and it can be downloaded here: SDFix
Old 5th September, 2008, 04:23 AM

Gizmo,
I have no idea where I got Dial-a-fix.zip. you decide You can get it here or I can upload it to the proper area or just forget it-Your call.

Old 5th September, 2008, 06:55 AM
Benchmarker

Send a message via Yahoo to chrisbard

One little trojan won't hurt nobody
I've heard that linux community came up with better implemented security in it's latest Linux Mint Gold version, it's actually preventing the user to log in, thus posing 0 risk in contamining the computer with malware! Well done to the open source community!

Old 5th September, 2008, 08:21 AM

I should have mentioned that, some AV's flag it as a trojan because there is a bat file in there which modifies the start up sequence of your computer because the tool requires a reboot of your computer halfway through.

Its not actually a trojan, it just exhibits some trojan like properties.

Old 5th September, 2008, 11:53 AM

Good glad you got it fixed and figured out it was a rootkit.

This is yet another good example "why" it's very important to keep up on your updates, patches & keeping your software up to date.

With that in mind here something I do every so often.
(Actually about 2 times a week) is check to make sure everything's up to date using this site.
Recommended by "Windows Secrets".
Flashplayer is one that most common plugins that are unsafe & unpatched versions.
Even though you may updated it, it still leaves behind the old version. This has to be manually removed for your
browser to stay secure..
This is the result of my scan... (takes about 7 seconds or so)

Secunia: Online Software Inspector

Feature Overview - The Secunia Online Software Inspector:
* Detects insecure versions of common/popular applications installed on your computer
* Verifies that all Microsoft patches are applied
* Assists you in updating your computer and problems
* Runs through your browser. No installation or download is required

How Does it Work:
The Secunia Online Software Inspector relies on carefully crafted Secunia File Signatures to recognise applications on your system. The detected applications are then matched against our Secunia Advisory Intelligence to determine whether an application is up-to-date or not. The results are then used to advise you on how to update to more secure releases of the insecure applications.

Microsoft Windows Update is used to determine if your system is missing security updates from Microsoft.

The Secunia Online Software Inspector covers the most common/popular end user applications:
* Internet browsers
* Internet browser plugins
* Instant messaging clients
* Email clients
* Media players
* Operating systems
Attached Thumbnails
http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com gives page cannot be displayed error-image-0.jpg  

EVGA GTX 470 SC 37% OC (855/1710/2004) 160.5Gbs
3DMark Vantage: P24352
3DMark 11: P5119

Last edited by MUff1N; 5th September, 2008 at 12:08 PM.