AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > CRASHED!

CRASHED! A topic for SEVERE and immediate Hardware and Operating System FAILURES. We will try to get you up again. NOT for Optimization questions!

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 22nd September, 2008, 06:30 PM
Chief BBS Administrator

Por Por, I hope you didn't miss what Cliff had to say about your warranty!

Quote:
The 45 flat fee only applies to out of warranty service, unless it was a refurb or open box the retailer should honor the 1 year warranty as every other biostar retailer does.
."
DKE

"All that we do is touched by Ocean
Yet we remain on the shore of what we know."
Richard Wilbur

[img]/forum/attachments/random-nonsense/16515-sigs-dan_drag.jpg[/img]
Subscribers! Ask Pitch about a Custom Sig Graphic

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 22nd September, 2008, 07:13 PM

No, I didn't miss it. By that time I had seen The DFI board and I fell in love. Common sence went out the window. Haven't even thought about what to do about the Biostar. I do have emails in to both Biostar and PartsPC. we'll see. I'll Probly RMA it and then sell it.

1ST Thermaltake V9 Case * Windows 7 x64 * Gigibyte GM-MA74GM-S2 * Phenom X4 9650 2.3Ghz @ 2.76GHz * G Skill 4 GB DDR2 * EVGA Geforce 9800GT 512GB * Antec 650w

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 22nd September, 2008, 08:39 PM

Very, very cool. Enjoy my friend.

ASUS G73 SW, IE7, 20 GB DD3 ram

AOA Team fah
Old 22nd September, 2008, 09:03 PM

Thank you, kind sir! This situation is just in it's begining stages but it does have the ear marks of starting with lemons and ending up with lemonaide.

1ST Thermaltake V9 Case * Windows 7 x64 * Gigibyte GM-MA74GM-S2 * Phenom X4 9650 2.3Ghz @ 2.76GHz * G Skill 4 GB DDR2 * EVGA Geforce 9800GT 512GB * Antec 650w

Old 23rd September, 2008, 03:14 AM
Irreverent Query Chairman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samuknow View Post
You could save configurations and resort to them with a simple key stroke while booting. Very handy for a quick reboot to bench or game.
My Maximus has that feature, too. You can save several BIOS profiles for easy loading. Don't know about the other newer ASUS boards. It's a great feature and someone should have thought of it sooner.
#1: Tt Armor, ASUS Maximus Extreme, QX9650@4.1G, 8G Corsair Dominator GT DDR3-2000, Corsair HX1050, H2O-Swiftech, Gigabyte GTX470/Arctic Accelero Xtreme Plus II, Intel 520 SSD, Kingston SSD, 2xRaptor 150G RAID0, Win 7 Pro 64
#2: Tt Shark, ASUS P5Q Pro Turbo, Q6600@3.8G, 4G HyperX-1600, Corsair HX850, CoolerMaster V10, 2xASUS 9600GT, 2xRaptor 74G RAID0, OCZ Vertex 4 SSD, Gentoo/siduction Linux [64-bit]
#3, #4: Opteron 170@2.75G nude, A8N-SLI Deluxe, Gentoo

AOA Folding @HomeOur sister site: www.gamersonlinux.com
Old 23rd September, 2008, 03:46 AM

I would think it would be great for OC'ing. You get close to max and then take that extra step and it wont boot. any other Bios you clear it and start over. with this feature you boot right back where you were. Heaven!

Old 23rd September, 2008, 04:21 AM

Send a message via MSN to Samuknow

My EVga has it as well. I think DFI started it though.
Old 23rd September, 2008, 08:46 PM
Chief BBS Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThunderRd View Post
My Maximus has that feature, too. You can save several BIOS profiles for easy loading. Don't know about the other newer ASUS boards. It's a great feature and someone should have thought of it sooner.
The Asus P5Q series and the Asus P5W all come with Two programmable profiles (set up your BIOS , the save it, then load it at will. ) Just discovering the joys of this option, High settings for cool days, a bit more reasonable for warmer ones.
."
DKE

"All that we do is touched by Ocean
Yet we remain on the shore of what we know."
Richard Wilbur

[img]/forum/attachments/random-nonsense/16515-sigs-dan_drag.jpg[/img]
Subscribers! Ask Pitch about a Custom Sig Graphic

Old 23rd September, 2008, 09:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samuknow View Post
Genie bios will be your friend. Some of the bios versions actually had a bios saving tool. I can't remember what it was called. You could save configurations and resort to them with a simple key stroke while booting. Very handy for a quick reboot to bench or game.
I believe i'm going to miss out on this wonderful little goodie. If I'm correct the DFI P35 has the Award bios. I haven't seen any reference to beeing able to save a bios setting in this manner. Darn!

Old 23rd September, 2008, 11:10 PM

My mobo also has this, but with just one profile that can be saved.
Custom Default is what its called.
I never use it...LOL

EVGA GTX 470 SC 37% OC (855/1710/2004) 160.5Gbs
3DMark Vantage: P24352
3DMark 11: P5119
Old 23rd September, 2008, 11:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MUff1N View Post
My mobo also has this, but with just one profile that can be saved.
Custom Default is what its called.
I never use it...LOL
Are you gloateing or just plain crazy!

Old 23rd September, 2008, 11:44 PM

muff1n,
Did some homework on my G.skills DDRll-800 2Gb (2x1Gb dual channel kit) PC2-6400 CL 4.4.4.12 2.0v-2.1v, and learned a lot. These will OC rather well.
They will go to ddrll-1067 5.5.5.15 @ 2.35v easy and stable. Reviewer stated he was sure it would go higher if mobo would go higher than 2.35v. I'm almost positive the Blood Iron will. But that is for down the road when i'm looking for long legs. There is a possability of 4.0ghz on air! Slim, but from what I'm putting together it might be. Maybe it's just an amiture reading things the way he wants to but I might take a crack at it.
AFTER I learn a lot more! LOL

Old 23rd September, 2008, 11:56 PM

Arrow

From what ccp has told me & from my own testing results (had to see for myself) the best throughput results is raising the FSB.
You can OC your memory like crazy, but if you don't have a very high FSB to match it, it does absolutely no good & in some cases can actually hurt your throughput performance!
This is the reason I'm using a 667 memory frequency instead of OCing my memory to the sky. With this arrangement the memory & FSB throughput are closer together, thus better throughput.

But if you're anything like me, you are going to have to see this for yourself...LOL
Just be careful of the memory temps! I have a sensor next to mine with a temp readout.
Just like a CPU the higher you clock your memory with more voltage, the hotter they will run.
I've got a 120mm fan that's only purpose is to cool the NB & memory dimms...
This brought their temps down by 10F each.

EVGA GTX 470 SC 37% OC (855/1710/2004) 160.5Gbs
3DMark Vantage: P24352
3DMark 11: P5119

Last edited by MUff1N; 23rd September, 2008 at 11:57 PM.
Old 24th September, 2008, 12:20 AM

I'm just seeing some things that others are doing and it intrigues me. It doesn't drive me off into la-la land! I don't even have the board yet! It's all fantasy at the moment- but it's the beginning of ideas. We shall see what shakes out in the end. For me it's good to have a period of time to let the exitement die down. Learn, look, get ideas, but don't touch! Then have a stable thought process when everything comes together. I'm terrible if everything is rushed I don't have time to decompress. That is when i make mystakes. Don't want that now-no sir!

Old 24th September, 2008, 05:27 AM

Don't try to ingest it all at one time, you will find very few people that truly have the knowledge required to spin a DFI board to the max. Take it one step or one setting at a time if you have to and don't expect too much from just changing the board. Those of us that truly enjoy overclocking pick our parts based on production dates and/or batch numbers giving us the best chance of getting serious numbers. Same applies with memory, as companies will use different chips at different times, some chips have exceptional OC abilities others won't gain much over their rated speed.

Try to ask specific questions, so you can get specific answers. Don't do the typical "I recieved my board now what do I do" questions I see quite often on various sites.

dficlub has some decent P35 stuff stickied on it that should get you on your way. If you stick to what Praz and OCZ Tony has to say you will be in good shape on the site. RGone is pretty sharp as well if you can learn to speak his language. (you'll see what I mean) I don't hit dficlub much anymore, simply because DFI doesn't have anything in it's arsenal that can overclock a quad anywhere near my Biostar or my Asus for that matter.
Old 24th September, 2008, 07:16 AM

I'm looking at two forums, DFI Club and The New Rebels Haven. Me and DFI Club are haveing a problem. I'm not getting any responce to registration. (Activation) I've emailed them as to this problem and no responce to that either. That was yesterday so I'll give it a little more time.
No matter what you hear or surmise I'm not going off 1/2 cocked. This board isn't a miricle worker. Otherwise you would have it! lol
Game plan is to do a stable known OC of 3.0 or so and then settle down, settle in, and start to learn specifics about what I've got.
Thanks for your advice.