AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > CRASHED!

CRASHED! A topic for SEVERE and immediate Hardware and Operating System FAILURES. We will try to get you up again. NOT for Optimization questions!

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 21st September, 2008, 02:36 PM

Can't see bios post after power outage

The power went out in my apt as a result of a blowdryer and an Iron being connected to the same outlet in the bethroom. after i reset the breakers and power was restore, my compuer failed too boot.

i have tried to clear the CMOS already but that didn't help.

as of now everything turns on but the monitor never powers on, it stays with the amber led and never goes blue. i can't see bios or nothing.

i don't hear any beeps. Im kinda hoping it could be the video card and not the mobo. by the way im using the dvi connection on my video card.

this is a pci express card and i don't have another one to try.

i wanted to hear some suggestions before i start bying parts.

Thanks for you help.
Old 21st September, 2008, 03:49 PM

If you are not getting any bios beep, start diognoseing right from the begining. Disconect everything but the CPU and the HSF and boot. If you don't get a bios beep, You have probly lost the motherboard or the CPU. I don't know how to test them at this point. If you get a bios beep start adding components, starting with memory, untill you fail to get a beep. The first part to buy is a surge suppressor-a good one, no cheepy.

1ST Thermaltake V9 Case * Windows 7 x64 * Gigibyte GM-MA74GM-S2 * Phenom X4 9650 2.3Ghz @ 2.76GHz * G Skill 4 GB DDR2 * EVGA Geforce 9800GT 512GB * Antec 650w

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 21st September, 2008, 03:51 PM
AOA Staff

Does the PSU appear to be working?
Old 21st September, 2008, 03:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by danrok View Post
Does the PSU appear to be working?
That would be a better place to start.

1ST Thermaltake V9 Case * Windows 7 x64 * Gigibyte GM-MA74GM-S2 * Phenom X4 9650 2.3Ghz @ 2.76GHz * G Skill 4 GB DDR2 * EVGA Geforce 9800GT 512GB * Antec 650w

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 21st September, 2008, 04:11 PM
Irreverent Query Chairman

Sometimes no beep can be the vid card. I have saved at least one machine from having the MB replaced by simply moving the vid card to a different slot. For some reason the box got "confused" after an outage. Do you have another slot to test that? If not, you could try a plain vanilla PCI card. A really cheap one is invaluable to have around to test MBs. About $10, and well spent.

The long CMOS reset is another thing to try. Remove the power plug and the CMOS battery, short the jumper pins and let it stay like that overnight. Then reseat all the components and try to boot it.
#1: Tt Armor, ASUS Maximus Extreme, QX9650@4.1G, 8G Corsair Dominator GT DDR3-2000, Corsair HX1050, H2O-Swiftech, Gigabyte GTX470/Arctic Accelero Xtreme Plus II, Intel 520 SSD, Kingston SSD, 2xRaptor 150G RAID0, Win 7 Pro 64
#2: Tt Shark, ASUS P5Q Pro Turbo, Q6600@3.8G, 4G HyperX-1600, Corsair HX850, CoolerMaster V10, 2xASUS 9600GT, 2xRaptor 74G RAID0, OCZ Vertex 4 SSD, Gentoo/siduction Linux [64-bit]
#3, #4: Opteron 170@2.75G nude, A8N-SLI Deluxe, Gentoo

AOA Folding @HomeOur sister site: www.gamersonlinux.com

Last edited by ThunderRd; 21st September, 2008 at 04:12 PM.
Old 21st September, 2008, 05:33 PM

my video card is pci-e and my board is an ausus p5k-e which does have a second pci-e slot i can try.

i do have power on the system, i hear the drives spin up and the water pump works so i doubt the PS is the problem.

not home now but later i will try to move the card slots, if that fails i will then take the mem out to see if i can hear beeps. if i do i will leave the the battery off over night while clearing the CMOS. hopefully it will come back to life.

I just really hope it wasn't mobo, it will suck taking averything apart again.

thanks for your help, any other suggestions are welcome

Last edited by MightyMar22; 21st September, 2008 at 05:36 PM.
Old 21st September, 2008, 06:48 PM
AOA Staff

Motherboards are very sensitive to power surges, usually the first thing to take damage.
Old 22nd September, 2008, 04:50 AM

I dodged a bullet!!!

it seems like i got lucky and the system was just hung in some really weird state.

after removing the video card and mem, i powered the system and heard some beeps, this game me hope.

then i installed one mem dim and the video card and the system came back ok.

i've been running prime with both dims in now for over 2 hours and so far so good.

Thank you all for your help.

Last edited by MightyMar22; 22nd September, 2008 at 04:51 AM.
Old 22nd September, 2008, 05:03 AM

You got off lucky and that is great! I would think that with this experience a surge suppressor should be on your shopping list.lol

Old 22nd September, 2008, 01:24 PM
Irreverent Query Chairman

Quote:
Originally Posted by MightyMar22 View Post
it seems like i got lucky and the system was just hung in some really weird state.
I was hoping that would be the case-sometimes just reseating or moving stuff around will resurrect the board. Can't explain why, but it happens. I've found that it happens most often with graphics cards.
#1: Tt Armor, ASUS Maximus Extreme, QX9650@4.1G, 8G Corsair Dominator GT DDR3-2000, Corsair HX1050, H2O-Swiftech, Gigabyte GTX470/Arctic Accelero Xtreme Plus II, Intel 520 SSD, Kingston SSD, 2xRaptor 150G RAID0, Win 7 Pro 64
#2: Tt Shark, ASUS P5Q Pro Turbo, Q6600@3.8G, 4G HyperX-1600, Corsair HX850, CoolerMaster V10, 2xASUS 9600GT, 2xRaptor 74G RAID0, OCZ Vertex 4 SSD, Gentoo/siduction Linux [64-bit]
#3, #4: Opteron 170@2.75G nude, A8N-SLI Deluxe, Gentoo

AOA Folding @HomeOur sister site: www.gamersonlinux.com

Last edited by ThunderRd; 22nd September, 2008 at 01:25 PM.
Old 22nd September, 2008, 02:25 PM
AOA Staff

Send a message via AIM to robbie Send a message via MSN to robbie Send a message via Yahoo to robbie Send a message via Skype™ to robbie

I was going to recommend removing power to the box for a while. (ie unplugging it)

Glad you got it sorted.
Buy it, Sell it, or Trade it in the AoA classifieds!!
AOA Team fah
Old 24th September, 2008, 10:37 PM

it seems one of my mem dimms took a hit. although i can boot ok and OC when i run prime95 the test fails right away.

the default settings for my mem is 5-5-5-15/1100mhz but im running them at 4-4-4-8/1000mhz

i ran memtest and that failed too.

i can do every day stuff, surf the web, use quick par, win rar, view videos etc and the system reponds ok so i think i will ride it like this for now or until i see it become unstable.

Last edited by MightyMar22; 24th September, 2008 at 10:41 PM.
Old 1st October, 2008, 08:35 PM

Please give me some advise

So, I decided to buy a power surge protector in efforts to avoid problems in the future.

i shut down the system to install the new power surge protector and when i tried to boot i had the same problem i orinally experinced.

i tried uninstalling the mem a few times and i was able to get into the bios but i could never boot.

when i moved the video card to the other pci-e slot i was able to boot without issues. that tells me the the video card should be good but the primary pci-e slot is not working properly. to make matters works, i can't really use the secondary pci-e slot because it is all the way at the bottom and the video card fan can not spin due to USB cables connected to the board.

at this point im guessin i will just probably have to get a new board and here is where i want the advise.

i see in newegg a couple of good boards that are open box but im not sure if they are worth buying, im afraid they were returned because of some type of defect.

here are the 2 boards i was considering, if anyone has a other suggestion please go ahead and posted. i will like to stay on the $150 price range.

Newegg.com - Computer Parts, PC Components, Laptop Computers, Digital Cameras and more!
Old 1st October, 2008, 11:06 PM
AOA Staff

AFAIK, the Asus P5E is a good board.

You should be OK with an open box, most boards which are returned aren't faulty at all.

I've had a similar situation myself after a power problem, seems OK for a while, then the system begins cracking up. Very frustrating.
Old 2nd October, 2008, 12:17 AM

Arrow

You could also go with this one...

Open Box: ASUS P5Q Deluxe LGA 775 Intel P45 Intel Motherboard $136.50

EVGA GTX 470 SC 37% OC (855/1710/2004) 160.5Gbs
3DMark Vantage: P24352
3DMark 11: P5119
Old 2nd October, 2008, 01:26 AM

i jumped the gun

i ordered the p5e a few hours ago, now i see muffin's suggestion.

unfurtunatelly on newegg i see that the board has already been shipped.

is the p45 much better than the x38? if it is i can order it and ruturn the x38 if not ill just keep the one i already order.

thanks for you suggestions.
Old 2nd October, 2008, 06:01 PM
Chief BBS Administrator

Wish I could be more helpful! But I don't know anything about your P5E.

But you have time to change your mind if you wish to! NewEgg has an excellent return policy. Should you wish to you can refuse delivery or if you miss the delivery guy, just go to NewEgg RMA and you can set it up in 5 minutes.

As far as I can tell the real difference between top of the Line P5Qs and bottom of the line (Mine) is the number of SLI slots you get (I -4).

In any case best of luck with your new board!
."
DKE

"All that we do is touched by Ocean
Yet we remain on the shore of what we know."
Richard Wilbur

[img]/forum/attachments/random-nonsense/16515-sigs-dan_drag.jpg[/img]
Subscribers! Ask Pitch about a Custom Sig Graphic

Old 8th October, 2008, 01:11 AM

Still no video

so i got my asus p5e and after puttig everything back together im not getting any video what so ever. i even went to local store and bought another video card but still no video.

i have tried takin the mem and the vid card out and then powering on. i hear the beeps when the mem is not present, i don't hear anything when the vid card is not there but i don't know if im supposed to hear any beeps for the vid card not being installed.

I know that you may say that the mem could be bad but the system had been up for 5 days before i shut it down to replace the board.

this is really frustrating, regardless of what i do i can't get any video. the only other thing i can think of is that this open box board that newegg sent me is not good but then again i was getting the same results with the old board.
Old 8th October, 2008, 11:18 AM

Here's a stupid question. (I'm not quite awake yet so bare with me)

Do you know if the Monitor cable is good? The Monitor?
If not, do you have anyway of testing these?
Sorry if you've already answered this question...need more coffee!

EVGA GTX 470 SC 37% OC (855/1710/2004) 160.5Gbs
3DMark Vantage: P24352
3DMark 11: P5119
Old 8th October, 2008, 03:06 PM

everything was working fine before i shutdown the system to replace the board.

Last edited by MightyMar22; 8th October, 2008 at 03:07 PM.