AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > CRASHED!

CRASHED! A topic for SEVERE and immediate Hardware and Operating System FAILURES. We will try to get you up again. NOT for Optimization questions!

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 13th October, 2008, 03:47 AM

New system, ran for about 6 hours, then will not post

I built a new system, and it ran, with some instability, for about 6 hrs. After building the system I ran Memtest86+ and got some ram errors. Came back over to my brother's (who I built the system for) and checked the system, and noticed that the board was reading the DDR2-1066 G-skill RAM as DDR2-800 ram. Went into bios, changed the ram speed and voltage to what the ram packaging said, rebooted, got a corrupted bios error, tried to reset the bios, and now the computer will not post. The board gives codes for detecting the ram, and then hangs there. I've moved the two DIMMs around, switched channels, tried only using one DIMM, everything I can think of.

I have a bad feeling that I got a bad motherboard, but with the MemTest86+ errors I'm not sure. I'm taking the ram to a shop to check it tomorrow as I don't have a system that can run DDR2 RAM. Does anyone have any other ideas or seen thing like this? The system specs are listed below.

Thanks for any help.
DK.

System Specs:
CPU- Intel Core 2 Quad Q9550
MOBO- ASUS RAMPAGE FORMULA
Power supply- Antec TruPower 850
RAM- 2 X G.SKILL 1GB 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 1066 (PC2 8500)
Video- SAPPHIRE 100245L Radeon HD 4850 512MB

Main Rig: - Down
Proc: P4 2.66 Ghz Mobo: MSI MS-6701 RAM: 768 Mb DDR333 Video Card: GeForce4 Ti 4200 OS: Windows XP SP2 / Mandrake Linux 9.0
Laptop:
Proc: P4 3.06 Ghz RAM: 1280 Mb DDR400 Video Card: ATI Radion Mobility 9000 OS: Windows XP SP2

AOA Team fah

Last edited by DigitalKnight; 13th October, 2008 at 03:50 AM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 13th October, 2008, 04:27 AM

I'm thinking mislabled ram. Memtest errors AND instability say replace ram. I would not set bios to mem settings, stay auto as much as possible.
That being said, it's best to leave it alone tonite. get the mem tested tommarow, and come back when the pro's are around. Good Luck!

1ST Thermaltake V9 Case * Windows 7 x64 * Gigibyte GM-MA74GM-S2 * Phenom X4 9650 2.3Ghz @ 2.76GHz * G Skill 4 GB DDR2 * EVGA Geforce 9800GT 512GB * Antec 650w

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 13th October, 2008, 04:35 AM

Send a message via AIM to Necorum Send a message via MSN to Necorum Send a message via Yahoo to Necorum

Im going with a bad board, but as porpor said wait and do a memtest on that ram or you could use the cd that came with your asus board and try to reflash the bios. (my old asus p4p800se cd auto flashed the bios)

Then if you get the system booted use one ram stick leave the bios alone. Get on your pc make a boot cd with the newest bios file on it and flash with the enwer bios.

Or try this

Your bios files
http://support.asus.com/download/dow...page%20Formula
Instructions
http://www.mydigitallife.info/2007/0...-flash-update/

3dMark 11: P7023
3dMark Vantage: P31097

Last edited by Necorum; 13th October, 2008 at 04:42 AM.
Old 13th October, 2008, 06:12 AM

Send a message via MSN to Rondog

I agree with Necorum. My thoughts are with a bad board.

Mislabelled RAM, while yes I believe is possible, I also believe it very improbable.

The random instability and no post makes me say bad board. Just the same, test the memory, its easier!

Also, you mentioned it had some instability in the first 6 hours. What was this instability you witnessed?

Rig 1: Intel Core i5 750,4gb,HD6870,500gb,W7 Ult x64

Last edited by Rondog; 13th October, 2008 at 06:14 AM.
Old 13th October, 2008, 07:02 AM

Didn't know it was improbable, i don't get out much, because it hapened to me.
Wheather it's labeling or not, I still think it's ram.

I am without a doubt, the least knowlegeable about this stuff and I'll bet you a weiner dog it's memory.

1ST Thermaltake V9 Case * Windows 7 x64 * Gigibyte GM-MA74GM-S2 * Phenom X4 9650 2.3Ghz @ 2.76GHz * G Skill 4 GB DDR2 * EVGA Geforce 9800GT 512GB * Antec 650w

Old 13th October, 2008, 03:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rondog View Post
I agree with Necorum. My thoughts are with a bad board.

Mislabelled RAM, while yes I believe is possible, I also believe it very improbable.

The random instability and no post makes me say bad board. Just the same, test the memory, its easier!

Also, you mentioned it had some instability in the first 6 hours. What was this instability you witnessed?
Random non-BSOD lockups while running programs including the OS. The computer would just stop responding with out a BSOD so there was no evidence of what caused the lockup. Happend most often when doing something that used a lot of system resources (Games, yes my brother loaded some of this games before I was finished burning in the system. FEAR, Doom 3, things in those vanes... ).

Anyways, off to the shop for the memtest.

Proc: P4 2.66 Ghz Mobo: MSI MS-6701 RAM: 768 Mb DDR333 Video Card: GeForce4 Ti 4200 OS: Windows XP SP2 / Mandrake Linux 9.0
Laptop:
Proc: P4 3.06 Ghz RAM: 1280 Mb DDR400 Video Card: ATI Radion Mobility 9000 OS: Windows XP SP2

AOA Team fah
Old 13th October, 2008, 04:15 PM

Send a message via MSN to Samuknow

That sounds like a mem issue for sure. if i push my mem too far, that is the exact problem that shows up.
Old 13th October, 2008, 05:50 PM
Irreverent Query Chairman

Were you running it 1:1 with the FSB or on a divider?
#1: Tt Armor, ASUS Maximus Extreme, QX9650@4.1G, 8G Corsair Dominator GT DDR3-2000, Corsair HX1050, H2O-Swiftech, Gigabyte GTX470/Arctic Accelero Xtreme Plus II, Intel 520 SSD, Kingston SSD, 2xRaptor 150G RAID0, Win 7 Pro 64
#2: Tt Shark, ASUS P5Q Pro Turbo, Q6600@3.8G, 4G HyperX-1600, Corsair HX850, CoolerMaster V10, 2xASUS 9600GT, 2xRaptor 74G RAID0, OCZ Vertex 4 SSD, Gentoo/siduction Linux [64-bit]
#3, #4: Opteron 170@2.75G nude, A8N-SLI Deluxe, Gentoo

AOA Folding @HomeOur sister site: www.gamersonlinux.com
Old 15th October, 2008, 12:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThunderRd View Post
Were you running it 1:1 with the FSB or on a divider?
A divider, the FSB speed for the Q9550 chip is 1333. Since the ram is DDR2-1066 I'm guessing that the divider is set at 2.5.

Anyways, the shop checked the RAM out and it looked OK, after running all night in their test rig it checked out with out any errors what so ever. Could the memory controller on the motherboard be bad?

Going to put the RAM back in and move the graphics card to see if that can shock the system into getting past the DRAM detection step or at least where I can flash a new bios. If that does not work I guess I'm going to RMA the board and rebuild the system when we get a replacement.

Any other ideas out there?

Thanks,
DK.

Laptop:

AOA Team fah
Old 15th October, 2008, 04:09 AM

Well, but the ram back in, and moved the video card. No post.
Removed one DIMM. No post.
Checked all the RAM channels. Not a beep.

I think the board is dead.

How often does a motherboard die within hours of first power-up?
I would have thought the such failures would be somewhat rare.

Anyways, thanks for to all for the help, and if anyone is still interested I'll post updates after I get the new board and the system put back together.

Laptop:

AOA Team fah
Old 15th October, 2008, 06:25 AM
Irreverent Query Chairman

FWIW, when I get trouble like that I always set the board up outside the box, no hard drives, 1 known good stick RAM in the correct slot, known good plain vanilla pci video card, and known good power supply ONLY.

If no beeps, I do the long CMOS clear overnight,and try again before I declare the board dead.

If I'm lucky it'll post or get an error beep I can research. Some boards don't like to have everything set to auto, also[which is what will happen after the clear, of course]. I once had an A8N-SLI Deluxe that would not post if the BIOS memory settings were on auto - it needed manual settings. Several years later, it still runs fine in one of my servers. It's not uncommon to resurrect boards that seemed dead this way, but it does take time and patience - and you have to be able to get into the BIOS lol
#1: Tt Armor, ASUS Maximus Extreme, QX9650@4.1G, 8G Corsair Dominator GT DDR3-2000, Corsair HX1050, H2O-Swiftech, Gigabyte GTX470/Arctic Accelero Xtreme Plus II, Intel 520 SSD, Kingston SSD, 2xRaptor 150G RAID0, Win 7 Pro 64
#2: Tt Shark, ASUS P5Q Pro Turbo, Q6600@3.8G, 4G HyperX-1600, Corsair HX850, CoolerMaster V10, 2xASUS 9600GT, 2xRaptor 74G RAID0, OCZ Vertex 4 SSD, Gentoo/siduction Linux [64-bit]
#3, #4: Opteron 170@2.75G nude, A8N-SLI Deluxe, Gentoo

AOA Folding @HomeOur sister site: www.gamersonlinux.com
Old 24th January, 2009, 08:24 PM
Chief BBS Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThunderRd View Post
FWIW, when I get trouble like that I always set the board up outside the box, no hard drives, 1 known good stick RAM in the correct slot, known good plain vanilla pci video card, and known good power supply ONLY.

If no beeps, I do the long CMOS clear overnight,and try again before I declare the board dead.

If I'm lucky it'll post or get an error beep I can research. Some boards don't like to have everything set to auto, also[which is what will happen after the clear, of course]. I once had an A8N-SLI Deluxe that would not post if the BIOS memory settings were on auto - it needed manual settings. Several years later, it still runs fine in one of my servers. It's not uncommon to resurrect boards that seemed dead this way, but it does take time and patience - and you have to be able to get into the BIOS lol
ThunderRd. is giving you the stright scoop! It's impossible to know anything for sure until you test outside the case.

Cases are great things, but cause most of the install, won't boot problems... just to easy to short on something almost invisible....If you leave an extra mounting screw in your case from the last motherboard... you get the idea! Best wishes!
."
DKE

"All that we do is touched by Ocean
Yet we remain on the shore of what we know."
Richard Wilbur

[img]/forum/attachments/random-nonsense/16515-sigs-dan_drag.jpg[/img]
Subscribers! Ask Pitch about a Custom Sig Graphic

Old 9th April, 2009, 12:40 AM

Send a message via MSN to nothingbetter2d Send a message via Yahoo to nothingbetter2d

something i have noticed about ALL asus boards...(i have had a few)

if for whatever reason u modifiy hardware in your pc with the asus motherboards... its important that u unplug the power cable after a failed boot and wait til the on board LED goes out then plug in the cable again after 5 seconds

it seems to reset the capacitors on their boards and usually a cold boot will work
Old 9th April, 2009, 05:49 PM
Chief BBS Administrator

How's this sorting out for you DK?
."
DKE

"All that we do is touched by Ocean
Yet we remain on the shore of what we know."
Richard Wilbur

[img]/forum/attachments/random-nonsense/16515-sigs-dan_drag.jpg[/img]
Subscribers! Ask Pitch about a Custom Sig Graphic