AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > CRASHED!

CRASHED! A topic for SEVERE and immediate Hardware and Operating System FAILURES. We will try to get you up again. NOT for Optimization questions!

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 27th October, 2008, 09:02 PM
AOA Staff

Fedora 8 partition question

I'm having a problem booting my Fedora 8 server. I've been reading threads all morning to help me troubleshoot it, so I won't ask about that problem here.
My question though...
You know how Linux creates its own partition for the Operating System and then leaves the rest of the drive for data?
If I format and re-install Fedora 8 will it automaticlly format both paritions thus erasing my important data?

[edit]
Ok, here is my problem from the beginning:
After Installing Fedora 8 on my homeserver, it worked flawlessly for 3 weeks. I installed all of my dedicated server games and they ran great on my network. Then the other day I played a cool free game called Padman on Fedora 8. It ran just fine, so next I tried to run it as a dedicated server and it locked up. I've never had Linux "lock-up" on me, so I was shocked. I forgot to go to the shell and shutdown -h, and instead used the power button. I started the computer and locked up on me again at the login screen. The next day I actually logged in and got into Fedora, but it "locked-up" again. I'm assuming there are some corrupt files in the boot sector because here is my error:
Quote:
kernel panic - not syncing :VFS: unable to mount root fs on unknown block (0,0)
I've been searching online and studying all the reasons for such an error and there are many. Some say it could be bad RAM so
1. I tried the built-in Memtest on the Fedora 8 disc. It never started correctly, just said "Memtest..... ready" and basicly locked up.
2. booted from earlier kernel - same error
3. booted from Fedora disc in rescue mode and it just ran some strange code over and over... never finished
4. booted from Fedora disc in rescue mode and went to console - I can get it connected to the network but it won't give me access to the /home drive to copy my files. I can ping my other windows machines.
5. pulled the hard-drive and connected to Windows with adapter. windows shows the drive as "healthy" but since its FAT32 it won't assign a drive letter so I can explore it. I may try on another computer.
6. Tried new installation and looked at partitions. I have never done this before so I wasn't sure what to do.... I selected to install default layout on Extra Drive space (hoping it would leave my /home alone) but it failed.
7. I checked the BIOS and noticed that the ***On-Chip Serial ATA Setting*** was disabled. Its strange because everything has worked fine until this "lock-up" point. I tried other settings for Serial ATA and no success.
8. Out of curiosity I did a Media Check with the Fedora disc and it failed too.
9. I even pulled sticks of RAM and no success...
10. I also noticed that after the BIOS screen it quickly shows
Quote:
No Bios Installed!
Normally that should be a big deal, but I can go into the Bios, make changes, and it saves just fine.
My main goal right now is getting some of my "work" files off the /home and then re-installing. I allready have the Asus PC-DL Deluxe BIOS, so I will try installing it.
PlayOnLinux 4.2.10
Linux Guides: PC Games Linux Beginners Tips Linux Games List
Mack Truck Dungeon Of Fire Spray Booth Tutorial

Last edited by booman; 28th October, 2008 at 04:07 PM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 27th October, 2008, 09:20 PM
Chief BBS Administrator
BassTeroids Champion, Global Player Champion, Aim & Fire Champion, Puzzle Maniax Champion, Othello Champion, Canyon Glider Champion, Unicycle Challenge Champion, YetiSports 9: Final Spit Champion, Zed Champion

Send a message via ICQ to Gizmo Send a message via AIM to Gizmo Send a message via MSN to Gizmo Send a message via Yahoo to Gizmo Send a message via Skype™ to Gizmo

You can actually tell Fedora how you want it to partition the drives and whether to format. You have to to it from the 'Advanced' part of the partitioning utilty (I forget what it's called now).

None of my systems (Fedora or Redhat) have a 'standard' partitioning scheme.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 27th October, 2008, 10:56 PM
AOA Staff

So then I can select the partition with Fedora installed and format for a fresh installation? I hope it will leave my data alone. Otherwise I'll need to use a USB adapter to get my data off the drive.
PlayOnLinux 4.2.10
Old 27th October, 2008, 11:31 PM
AOA Staff

I have all my important data in /home
So I hope it all on the larger partition. It should be because I have a 150 Gig drive and it always shows 100+ Gigs available.
I know the OS only uses less than 1 Gig for Linux.
So if I format & reinstall (or even rescue) Fedora 8, it should leave my data alone right?
PlayOnLinux 4.2.10
Old 28th October, 2008, 04:09 AM
AOA Staff

Ok, I'm going to fess up, cause I need help...

I was reading this webpage Partitioning in Fedora 8 and he states:
Quote:
It is easy to do a clean installation and yet keep your /home/user data files if you have created a separate partition for /home from the very beginning on your PC. For this reason, I never use the default Fedora partitioning scheme, but always the custom partitioning. It involves creating 4 partitions.
I have used the default Fedora 8 partitioning scheme which probably means that if I re-install Fedora, it will erase my data.
I'll try the re-install and see if it shows a 100+ Gig partition that is probably my /home....
Otherwise I need another way to get a few files of my drive....
PlayOnLinux 4.2.10
Old 28th October, 2008, 06:30 AM

Simple enough to boot a rescue disk and move the /home to another partition that you can either copy to the new installation /home directory or just mount as /home
Old 28th October, 2008, 03:37 PM
AOA Staff

I would love to do that. I'm having problems getting into rescue.
I went through the menu's of a new install and checked the partitions. I have several default partitions for linux. I think the larger one has my /home files in it.

I should probably describe my whole scenario...
I'll [edit] the first post.
PlayOnLinux 4.2.10
Old 28th October, 2008, 03:41 PM
Irreverent Query Chairman

Just use a Live distro CD. You can do the same thing, just backup the directories that you need from there. Any one will do..it doesn't have to be Fedora. Knoppix is usually pretty easy to use, and it resides on a CD. Ubuntu is OK for user-friendly live distros, too.
#1: Tt Armor, ASUS Maximus Extreme, QX9650@4.1G, 8G Corsair Dominator GT DDR3-2000, Corsair HX1050, H2O-Swiftech, Gigabyte GTX470/Arctic Accelero Xtreme Plus II, Intel 520 SSD, Kingston SSD, 2xRaptor 150G RAID0, Win 7 Pro 64
#2: Tt Shark, ASUS P5Q Pro Turbo, Q6600@3.8G, 4G HyperX-1600, Corsair HX850, CoolerMaster V10, 2xASUS 9600GT, 2xRaptor 74G RAID0, OCZ Vertex 4 SSD, Gentoo/siduction Linux [64-bit]
#3, #4: Opteron 170@2.75G nude, A8N-SLI Deluxe, Gentoo

AOA Folding @HomeOur sister site: www.gamersonlinux.com

Last edited by ThunderRd; 28th October, 2008 at 03:44 PM.
Old 28th October, 2008, 04:22 PM
AOA Staff

I've got a problem with the drive...
I used my adapter and my Windows XP recognized the drive and assigned it E:\ but I can't explore it. Windows will say "The Drive is not formatted, do you want to format it?"
Obviously I can't because it will erase everything.
What if I use a different hard-drive and install Fedora 8 on it. Then use the original drive as a "Slave". Will I be able to open the files with Linux or will I get the same "drive is not formatted" error?
PlayOnLinux 4.2.10
Old 28th October, 2008, 04:44 PM

Windows isn't capable of reading your Linux partitions.

You have to mount them with a Linux installation and back them up then. As I said, if your Linux installation is borked somehow, you can boot to a Live cd distro by making your cd drive the boot drive; the cd has a stripped-down installation on it that you can run from the cd. Then access your Linux drives and back them up.
#1: Tt Armor, ASUS Maximus Extreme, QX9650@4.1G, 8G Corsair Dominator GT DDR3-2000, Corsair HX1050, H2O-Swiftech, Gigabyte GTX470/Arctic Accelero Xtreme Plus II, Intel 520 SSD, Kingston SSD, 2xRaptor 150G RAID0, Win 7 Pro 64
#2: Tt Shark, ASUS P5Q Pro Turbo, Q6600@3.8G, 4G HyperX-1600, Corsair HX850, CoolerMaster V10, 2xASUS 9600GT, 2xRaptor 74G RAID0, OCZ Vertex 4 SSD, Gentoo/siduction Linux [64-bit]

Last edited by ThunderRd; 28th October, 2008 at 04:45 PM.
Old 28th October, 2008, 05:04 PM
AOA Staff

I'm going to try installing Fedora 8 with a new drive. If it installs fine then I can plug in the corrupt drive and access the files, I hope. If that fails, then I'll try Live CD distro....
Mostly because I've never used it before...
PlayOnLinux 4.2.10
Old 28th October, 2008, 05:46 PM

I would think that the live cd would be faster than installing to drive media, but up to you. Good luck in either case.

Last edited by ThunderRd; 28th October, 2008 at 05:50 PM.
Old 28th October, 2008, 05:56 PM
AOA Staff

Thanks ThunderRd... I'm getting a notion that you really want me to use the Live cd...
I'm doing a media check with Fedora 8. I'm sure there isn't anything wrong because I've installed it on 4 different machines just fine.
Then I'll go ahead an install on SATA hard-drive. If everything works, I'll plug in the corrupt drive and see if I can access it.
If I can get my /home files off it, then it will be an extra drive, or backup drive.
PlayOnLinux 4.2.10
Old 28th October, 2008, 06:59 PM
Chief BBS Administrator

Hi Booman! Great to see your taking the plunge! ":O}

I'm just going to put this out there. It's my system of working with an OS I don't really understand, but really really want to without having to reinstall every two weeks as I try out new things in the wrong ways! ":O}

Here's what I'm doing. I have one large 500 gig Seagate back up drive. I have 2 320 Seagate drives that are clones of each other, exact copies. That I run Fedora 8 from.

This lets me try anything I like and KNOW I can get back to known good.

I back up one drive when I need to, then when I'm sure all is good I restore the back up to my second drive, playing leap frog as I go alone.

The key to all of this for me has been Acronis True Image 11 Home... my back up and restore utility, easy to learn and use.

So far, Fedora has been incredibly stable...how ever Fedora updates CAN take out your Nvidia drivers (If you have them) and leave games unplayable for fairly long periods of time.

With two drive I can just leave an update until fedora fixes it, Fedora ALWAYS fixes it.":O}

If any of this helps you, I'm a happy camper.":O}

(P.S.

If this seems like over kill it is! But as I am dyslexic and quite easily grow confused about my drives...well it keeps Fedora 8 alive in my box.":O}
."
DKE

"All that we do is touched by Ocean
Yet we remain on the shore of what we know."
Richard Wilbur

[img]/forum/attachments/random-nonsense/16515-sigs-dan_drag.jpg[/img]
Subscribers! Ask Pitch about a Custom Sig Graphic

Last edited by Daniel ~; 28th October, 2008 at 07:21 PM.
Old 28th October, 2008, 07:19 PM
AOA Staff

thanks Daniel. I'm learning as I go. Now I know that I can put /home on its own partition I can secure my data files. I was allready backing up to a windows drive, but I still had a few new files when Fedora "locked-up"

Current Scenario:
I've installed Fedora 8 on the new drive and it works great. Unfortunately I've pulled 2 stick of RAM and think they may be the culprit. I will pop them back in to see if I have any problems. Like I said, it ran fine for about 3 weeks, so how could they just freak and die on me?

I'm using my USB adapter with Linux and the corrupt drives shows up as:
/boot
But I can't see the file system thats on it. Like /home
How can I view the entire directory? or is it gone?
PlayOnLinux 4.2.10
Old 28th October, 2008, 08:37 PM
Chief BBS Administrator

I'm just here to hold your hand and tell you how much better it's going to get... Actual knowledge comes from some place else! Where are our teachers now that you need them! ":O}

I
."
DKE

"All that we do is touched by Ocean
Yet we remain on the shore of what we know."
Richard Wilbur

[img]/forum/attachments/random-nonsense/16515-sigs-dan_drag.jpg[/img]
Subscribers! Ask Pitch about a Custom Sig Graphic

Old 29th October, 2008, 01:49 AM
AOA Staff

I was checking my Windows machine to see if I backed up my work files and I did. So my websites are intact but all the game servers and configuration files on the LInux are probably gone.
So tomorrow I plan to format the whole corrupt drive and use it as a spare for backups. Now I have to learn to format & mount that drive with Linux.
I also put my /home folder on a separate partition from /root & /boot
So if I need to re-install Fedora 8 again, I won't be loosing files.

I'll also slap that RAM back in and see if it faulty.

I still don't know why this orginially happend?
PlayOnLinux 4.2.10
Old 29th October, 2008, 03:30 AM

If you can't see the contents of your old Linux partitions from your new installation, I'm out of ideas. I thought for sure that you'd be able to.

Maybe dsio could help you out here.

Old 29th October, 2008, 06:12 AM

I don't know why it didn't occur to me, but with the automated partitioning Fedora will use LVM. It has it's good and bad, good in that it can adapt to a changing environment, bad in that it makes it rough to get back data if corruption occurs.

On my rigs that hold data I don't want to lose, I stick with using a seperate partition for /boot, /, /usr, /opt, /var and /home. Most can do without a /var partition. I tar the system up once a week so if anything were to happen I just recreate the partitions and untar the backup and I'm back in business in 20 minutes like it never happened.

I guess my suggestion would be to go without LVM and come up with a simple ext3 partitioning scheme. After a few complete installs you will be able to see where you need the drive space and can adjust your partition size to meet your needs. If you do a regular back up, even when you out grow a partition you can add a larger drive, create the partitions and just untar your data..
Old 29th October, 2008, 03:20 PM
AOA Staff

Bad RAM, Bad RAM, Bad RAM, Bad RAM, Bad RAM, Bad RAM!

I can't believe it!
I put the 2 sticks of RAM back in and SAME ERROR!
So it looks like I found my first set of Bad Corsair RAM. I've never had problems with Corsair.
As soon as I pulled the sticks again, everything booted just fine.
I still think the data was corrupt on that drive because the RAM "locked-up" Linux and I shut it down improperly which probably corrupted the data.

I totally agree Cliff, I tried to do a ext3 partition for /root, /boot, and /home even though I don't know what ext3 is. I don't even know why each item needs its own partition. Why can't I just partition all of the OS and /home separately without 10 partitions?
This happened for a reason and now I know my data needs to be partitioned separately in Linux and a regular backup needs to run if I'm going to use Linux as a data server.
Thanks for you help everyone!
Now I'm headed to Corsair and see if they will replace the RAM....
PlayOnLinux 4.2.10