AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > CRASHED!

CRASHED! A topic for SEVERE and immediate Hardware and Operating System FAILURES. We will try to get you up again. NOT for Optimization questions!

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 15th April, 2002, 10:19 PM
Asst. BBS Administrator

Power LED flashes constantly.

Ack! The upgrade of the processor, etc on my ECS K7S5A went fine after following surlyjoe's suggestion to reseat the cards. Sure as heck, the GF wasn't seated properly.

However, a new problem raised its ugly head. After fdisking and formatting the new Seagate 40 Gb. Dang! In retrospect, formatting the partitions took way too long. Argh.

After installing the new HDD, I proceeded to install Win98SE. This started normally, but the mouse would point fine, it just couldn't click on anything. After shutting down to try a known-good mouse, the new mouse still couldn't click on any virtual buttons. Plus, I noticed that the power LED was flashing, continuously. Any and all help with this problem would be very welcome. Thank you in advance!
Old 15th April, 2002, 11:10 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to majestic

i remember reading some thing some were about seating the conecter around the wrong way can some times case the led to flash but i cant remember what this was refering to
but is worth a shoth
Majestic

:.majestic.:
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 16th April, 2002, 01:11 AM
AOA Staff

Send a message via MSN to mookydooky

I had the same thing happen with my mouse a while back. It turned out that one of the pins on the PS/2 connector was broken. Ever since then I've only gotten USB mice.

AOA Team fah

我喜欢大屁股, 我不能骗你..... 他们弟兄不能否认......
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 16th April, 2002, 01:38 AM

You didnt plug the mouse and keyboard in backwards did you ?

Best of luck in the future all my friends.
Old 16th April, 2002, 02:21 AM
Asst. BBS Administrator

Thank you for your replies, everyone! Both the Power and HDD LED's were working properly before fdisking and formatting the new HDD. OR, until after I shut down the box to try a known-good mouse. I'm not sure exactly when the Power LED started flashing.

The IDE Activity LED is just fine, it's only the Power LED that flashes. It's blinking just like it normally does, before you hold down the power button for a few seconds to shut down the machine. Except that it's doing it all the time.

I'm stymied atm. More suggestions will be gratefully received. Thanks in advance!
Old 16th April, 2002, 02:42 AM
Chief BBS Administrator

Could your power button be pinched against the case around it ?
Are led leads to your mother board all connected?
I might be tempted to try a reset of your cmos, just for the hell of it.
."
DKE

"All that we do is touched by Ocean
Yet we remain on the shore of what we know."
Richard Wilbur

[img]/forum/attachments/random-nonsense/16515-sigs-dan_drag.jpg[/img]
Subscribers! Ask Pitch about a Custom Sig Graphic

Old 16th April, 2002, 03:06 AM

Send a message via AIM to The Spyder Send a message via MSN to The Spyder

Are you sure that when you pluged in the hardrive that you bent a pin- i did that on my bros- ecs and it freaked it out- no boot- flashing power- also i could be your windows install.
Spyder
1993 Mazda Rx7 R1 345whp. 2008 Mazda 3 Hatch
AOA Team fah
Old 16th April, 2002, 03:10 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by cloasters
Thank you for your replies, everyone! Both the Power and HDD LED's were working properly before fdisking and formatting the new HDD. OR, until after I shut down the box to try a known-good mouse. I'm not sure exactly when the Power LED started flashing.

The IDE Activity LED is just fine, it's only the Power LED that flashes. It's blinking just like it normally does, before you hold down the power button for a few seconds to shut down the machine. Except that it's doing it all the time.

I'm stymied atm. More suggestions will be gratefully received. Thanks in advance!
My power LED flashes when im in standby more.

Try disabling ACPI in the bios maybee ?

If you boot from a DOS disk does it still flash ?

What if you unplugg the HDD then boot from a DOS disk ?

What happens if you unplugg the power swich and turn on using a screwdriver, maybee the button broke.

Best of luck in the future all my friends.
Old 16th April, 2002, 05:45 PM
Asst. BBS Administrator

The Power LED is not blinking this morning. Yay! I read a post at ecsusa's BBS, it said: "My Power LED is blinking, but everything runs OK. Whassup with this?"
This was posted in Feb, and remains unanswered. It looks like 1% of the posted Q's get answered there.

My mouse still doesn't click on the virtual buttons at the beginning of Win98SE installation. Any suggestions will be appreciated. Thanks!
Old 16th April, 2002, 08:52 PM
Asst. BBS Administrator

Eureka. The Power LED constantly blinked because the machine didn't like the $2 mouse from Boeing Surplus. It got attitudinal because the mouse's connector has only four pins. My B Box likes the 4-pinner just fine. Those dang 440BX mainboards, they were just terrible. JK!

Unfortunately, a mouse with a proper pinout only solves the constantly flashing Power LED problem. I got the mouse to click on a virtual button in the beginning of installing Win98SE. But only by holding the PS/2 connector off kilter while clicking the mouse. And I found the "sweet spot" once and once only!

Dunno whether the pos Enlight 7237, Asus, ECS or myself is at fault. I've not had a GOOD mobo connector and I/O shield relationship with the two SiS chipsetted mainboards that I have.

The dang connectors on both the A7S-VM and the K7S5A mobo's do not line up with the I/O shields right. They are a tad off center, as well as recessed at least one eighth of an inch behind the I/O shields. This made slicing some plastic off of the keyboard's and mouse's plugs necessary. The plugs now reach the ding dong connectors on the mobo, but the wobble factor is scary.

It's possible that the ECS's PS/2 mouse plug(on the mobo side) has broken. The Asus A7S-VM has the same problem, but I only used the mainboard for ~two months.

As much as I've resisted it, the only way out of this hassle short of buying new mainboards seems: Go USB, not so young man.

Trouble is, I don't have a clue about USB. Dragged kicking and dragging into the future. Uh, present.
Old 16th April, 2002, 09:21 PM
AOA Staff

UBS is awesome. At least for keyboards and mice it is. Probably because it uses less power than a scanner. Anyway, all you need is the correct driver for Win98. It might even be built in, but I'm not sure because I haven't had a Win98 box in 3 years. USB mice and keyboards are plug and play on the fly so once the driver is installed, you plug or unplug the stuff without having to reboot. This is only convenient if you happen to have a favorite mouse or keyboard that you can't live without.

AOA Team fah

Old 16th April, 2002, 09:23 PM
AOA Staff

fear not freind, USB mouses are fool proof, and are no more than a regular mouse these days... If it is a busted PS2 riser, be damn carefull with it or your keyboard will be next on the USB list
Old 18th April, 2002, 09:25 PM
Asst. BBS Administrator

Mucho gracias, Senhors! Weyell... I bought two USB mice yesterday, and a big thanks for the bait and switch Office Max. Ka-ching!

So far, this USB Logitech optical doesn't even show up until Win98SE is 85% installed. Then you get a pointer, then clickability begins when SE is installed. Thank goodness you don't need a mouse to install SE!!

I think that the PS/2 mouse port on the K7S5A is dead. I'm grateful that the folks who designed USB connections made the plugs L O N G!!

The only real problem I still have is that with USB enabled in BIOS, IRQ 5 is used for it. This made installing a SB PCI 512 impossible, 'cause the STINKING SB 16 Emulation wants IRQ 5. This froze the box, and made a C:\ wipe necessary.
The SiS 630(yeah, there's no PC97 Codec on my board) Audio driver installs fine. But Win can't successfully complete the installation. So, no sound.

IS there ANY chance that disabling the USB MS-DOS capability in BIOS will free up IRQ 5? Will disabling DOS USB capability have any adverse effect? I don't need a mouse in DOS, at all.

Answers to these burning Q's would be greatly appreciated!

Frankly, I think this K7S5A is toast. ECS makes quality mainboards, but my STINKING Enlight 7237 prevents accurate mobo-I/O Shield alignment. Or it may be my fault. Never!

Oh well. Thank goodness this isn't a $150 Asus mainboard!
Old 18th April, 2002, 09:37 PM
AOA Staff

I haven't used Win98 in years, but if I recall, the designation for SB compatibility is in either the autoexec.bat file or the config.sys file. You should be able to alter which IRQ the SB emulation defaults to. I think, although I'm not 100% sure, that if you disable USB in the BIOS, USB devices won't work at all. You should however, be able to assign the IRQ for USB manually in the BIOS.

AOA Team fah

Old 18th April, 2002, 10:00 PM
Chief Systems Administrator

If I remember, USB needs an IRQ to operate correctly, so disabling in the BIOS is likely to remove it from under window's nose. It would be better to move the USB IRQ to a different IRQ! Take IRQ 5 out from the list of PCI usable IRQs.

AidanII
Old 20th April, 2002, 12:16 AM
Asst. BBS Administrator

The K7S5A lets you change the IRQ of the Parallel Port, and something else, too. Alas, mainboards that let the user assign all of the IRQ's are becoming scarce.

Anyhoo, I freed up IRQ 5 to a degree. I have had both Sound and Vidcards on IRQ5 simultaneously before. Why this worked remains a mystery! I do not want to wipe C:\ again because of this mobo! Therefore, I'm not gonna try to install the SB PCI512 again.

I tried installing the driver for the board's built-in Soundcard again. SOS. ECS's driver installs OK, but Windows gives me Error Code 20, 22, 28 and one hundred and something after it tries to grab the info from the 98SE cd-rom after installing ECS's audio driver.

Both SiS chipsetted mainboards I have are APITA about their built-in Soundcards.

So my A Box is soundless. Can a machine be referred to as "A" without sound? No, of course not.

I need a new mainboard for the A machine. Arrgh!