AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > CRASHED!

CRASHED! A topic for SEVERE and immediate Hardware and Operating System FAILURES. We will try to get you up again. NOT for Optimization questions!

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 16th February, 2009, 05:04 AM

A8N-SLI Deluxe mobo

Quite awhile ago I bought this mobo 2nd hand for cheap.

I put these parts in it
- AMD Athlon 64+ 3200 rev.E6
- 1Gb DDR400 RAM
- EN8600GT 512Mb DDR2 GPU

Now it will post fine. I can go into bios and make changes etc etc.

But whenever I try to either a)load Windows or b) clean install Windows on a fresh Hard Drive it wil either a) get to the loading Windows screen, then when it should load Windows it just resets. or b) It will load Windows files to do an install, then when you should get to the page to select where to install etc it BSOD's.

Here's the error codes -

*** STOP: 0x000000BE (0x8234CO54, 0x0B4C4121, 0x0B4C4121, 0x82D2B704, 0x0000000B)

*** volsnap.sys - Address 8234C054 base at 8231A0000, Datestamp 47918F92

From what I can gather, a device is trying to write to read only memory.

What does this mean? How do I fix it?

It would be sweet if I could get this board going to try some decent OCing before I upgrade to AM2+ or AM3 in the next couple of months.

-Corey
Old 16th February, 2009, 05:51 AM
AOA Staff

Send a message via AIM to robbie Send a message via MSN to robbie Send a message via Yahoo to robbie Send a message via Skype™ to robbie

Have you tried going into the bios and selecting "load fail safe defaults" then try to install windows?
Buy it, Sell it, or Trade it in the AoA classifieds!!
AOA Team fah
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 16th February, 2009, 12:07 PM

It doesn't have Load Fail Safe Defaults, But I did Load Setting Defaults when I first got it. Same thing.

This is the Error code when trying to load a harddrive with Vista installed.

STOP: 0x0000000A
Old 16th February, 2009, 01:14 PM
Chief Systems Administrator

The odd errors you're getting suggest that there might be a hardware problem somewhere. Have you tried running memtest86+ on the system to check for memory errors?
Old 16th February, 2009, 05:56 PM
Irreverent Query Chairman

I'd go along with what Aedan says. I would suspect the memory in that board. I have run two of then for a long time now (#3-4 in my signature) and I can tell you they are VERY TOUCHY when it comes to memory. When I say I'd suspect the memory, I don't necessarily mean that the memory is bad; it's just that the A8N doesn't agree with it.

Best way to troubleshoot that board is the barebones setup; everything at defaults in the BIOS and one stick of memory in the first slot. Do the BIOS clear-remove the CMOS batt-power down-pray to the mobo gods thing. It likes when you do that.

volsnap is some kind of shadow volume driver and although I'm sure someone else can tell you a lot more than I can, it is probably related to hardware and not software.

There was a 200+page thread at Hardware Analysis Forums when the A8N was really trendy- if you have the patience you could find some useful info there. Also, you might try my friends at ASUS Independent Forums - if you are lucky you can get a guy with the handle Merc. He's just about the best around on that particular board, and was heavily involved in the legendary Hardware Analysis thread:
ASUS INDEPENDENT -- Troubleshooting, Setup, and Overclocking Help For ASUS Motherboard Users (for the ASUS INDEPENDENT FORUM)
Asus A8N-SLI Deluxe FAQ (for the A8N-SLI Deluxe FAQ thread on Hardware Analysis)

Even if you don't find what you are looking for, that thread is the recognized authority for running this board. It was and is a great mainboard but is famous for being very bitchy with certain hardware variations, especially memory.
#1: Tt Armor, ASUS Maximus Extreme, QX9650@4.1G, 8G Corsair Dominator GT DDR3-2000, Corsair HX1050, H2O-Swiftech, Gigabyte GTX470/Arctic Accelero Xtreme Plus II, Intel 520 SSD, Kingston SSD, 2xRaptor 150G RAID0, Win 7 Pro 64
#2: Tt Shark, ASUS P5Q Pro Turbo, Q6600@3.8G, 4G HyperX-1600, Corsair HX850, CoolerMaster V10, 2xASUS 9600GT, 2xRaptor 74G RAID0, OCZ Vertex 4 SSD, Gentoo/siduction Linux [64-bit]
#3, #4: Opteron 170@2.75G nude, A8N-SLI Deluxe, Gentoo

AOA Folding @HomeOur sister site: www.gamersonlinux.com

Last edited by ThunderRd; 16th February, 2009 at 06:00 PM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 17th February, 2009, 02:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThunderRd View Post
I'd go along with what Aedan says. I would suspect the memory in that board. I have run two of then for a long time now (#3-4 in my signature) and I can tell you they are VERY TOUCHY when it comes to memory. When I say I'd suspect the memory, I don't necessarily mean that the memory is bad; it's just that the A8N doesn't agree with it.

Best way to troubleshoot that board is the barebones setup; everything at defaults in the BIOS and one stick of memory in the first slot. Do the BIOS clear-remove the CMOS batt-power down-pray to the mobo gods thing. It likes when you do that.

volsnap is some kind of shadow volume driver and although I'm sure someone else can tell you a lot more than I can, it is probably related to hardware and not software.

There was a 200+page thread at Hardware Analysis Forums when the A8N was really trendy- if you have the patience you could find some useful info there. Also, you might try my friends at ASUS Independent Forums - if you are lucky you can get a guy with the handle Merc. He's just about the best around on that particular board, and was heavily involved in the legendary Hardware Analysis thread:

Even if you don't find what you are looking for, that thread is the recognized authority for running this board. It was and is a great mainboard but is famous for being very bitchy with certain hardware variations, especially memory.
Thanks, I was thinking along the same lines myself, and I checked the manual and my RAM isn't on the list of vendors it supplies. I was using some cheap crap just to see if the board will work. I'll go hit up those sites to find the best RAM to use and go from there.

Thanks for your help, I'll post back if I get it sorted.
Old 19th February, 2009, 12:36 AM
AOA Staff

If its not the RAM then it could be your optical drive. I have had problems with an older Win XP home disc that didn't supply SATA optical drivers and it would never complete the setup.
Also, RAM is fairly cheap, so you could always pick up some DDR 400 at newegg to get it working
PlayOnLinux 4.2.10
Linux Guides: PC Games Linux Beginners Tips Linux Games List
Mack Truck Dungeon Of Fire Spray Booth Tutorial
Old 19th February, 2009, 01:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by booman View Post
If its not the RAM then it could be your optical drive. I have had problems with an older Win XP home disc that didn't supply SATA optical drivers and it would never complete the setup.
Also, RAM is fairly cheap, so you could always pick up some DDR 400 at newegg to get it working
I've tried with SATA and IDE drives, It doesn't even let me get to the page where the option is to install any drivers etc.

Got some Corsair RAM on the way, matches what the manual says is acceptable, so hopefully *fingers crossed*

Oh and neweggs no good for me, I'm from New Zealand xD
Old 19th February, 2009, 01:42 AM
AOA Staff

gotcha. good luck with the Corsair. They have never failed me. I actually purchases come DDR 333 PC2700 last year and one of them failed. corsair replaced it for free.
PlayOnLinux 4.2.10
Linux Guides: PC Games Linux Beginners Tips Linux Games List
Mack Truck Dungeon Of Fire Spray Booth Tutorial