AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > CRASHED!

CRASHED! A topic for SEVERE and immediate Hardware and Operating System FAILURES. We will try to get you up again. NOT for Optimization questions!

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 22nd April, 2002, 09:53 PM

Send a message via AIM to Cyberey66

CD-ROM drive doesn't work

My CD-ROM randomly stopped working in windows. I uninstalled, reinstalled and tried to change around the drivers but it doesn't work. It's weird because it'll boot the linux cd and install linux but it never works in windows and it works only a few times in linux if you keep trying to mount it over and over again. Any suggestions? If you notice it says CE-SOM instead of CD-ROM. BIOS/firmware maybe corrupted?
Attached Thumbnails
CD-ROM drive doesn't work-untitled.jpg  

"skin and tragedy are the ways to attract a crowd"
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 22nd April, 2002, 11:08 PM
AOA Staff

Send a message via MSN to mookydooky

IDE cable might be loose. Unplug and replug it.

AOA Team fah

我喜欢大屁股, 我不能骗你..... 他们弟兄不能否认......
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 23rd April, 2002, 12:48 AM
Chief BBS Administrator

I use to have this problem with Zip drives....a lot. try removing your driver and reboot to if it will reinstall.
."
DKE

"All that we do is touched by Ocean
Yet we remain on the shore of what we know."
Richard Wilbur

[img]/forum/attachments/random-nonsense/16515-sigs-dan_drag.jpg[/img]
Subscribers! Ask Pitch about a Custom Sig Graphic

Old 23rd April, 2002, 11:03 AM
Chief Systems Administrator

You're not overclocking are you?

The reason I'm asking is that the letters that are wrong have their last bit set when they shouldn't. It just so happens that letter before the incorrect letter correctly has it's last bit set.

If the drive is overclocked, then it might not be able to toggle the last bit fast enough. If the drive isn't overclocked, then it sounds like there might be a hardware problem.

Assuming that the drive isn't overclocked, try moving it to a different IDE header. If you still get the same error, then the CD-ROM interface might be toasted. If the drive starts to work instead, then your motherboard IDE interface might be toasted.

AidanII
Old 24th April, 2002, 01:27 AM

I put it on the same ata 66-100 cable and header as my hhd and the letters are fine but it still doesn't work in windows. It works 100% in linux though, no problems at all, but the same problem in windows except it now says CD-ROM not CE-SOM.

Old 24th April, 2002, 02:34 AM
Banned

I'll chime in.

I haven't a clue, but if there were some type of damage to the ROM on the drive then that could cause this, but I'd doubt it would work in Linux.

try it as a master and the HD as the slave?

Aside from *cough* reinstalling I don't have anything more intelligent to share .

That's a good 3 lb paperweight
Old 24th April, 2002, 02:41 AM

Send a message via AIM to The Spyder Send a message via MSN to The Spyder

I am thinking bent pin...... or broken pin- or do you have a harddrive slaved or mastered on the same cable- cause i have had big problems with that being the problem-
SPyder
1993 Mazda Rx7 R1 345whp. 2008 Mazda 3 Hatch
AOA Team fah
Old 24th April, 2002, 12:05 PM
Chief Systems Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by Cyberey66
I put it on the same ata 66-100 cable and header as my hhd and the letters are fine but it still doesn't work in windows. It works 100% in linux though, no problems at all, but the same problem in windows except it now says CD-ROM not CE-SOM.
Ok, so the fact that the drive operates 100% under Linux on the primary header suggests that the drive itself is fine. It sounds like there might be a hardware problem with either your second IDE header, or with the cable that you were using.

I'm not sure the best way of diagnosing the software side of windows when it comes to these driver problems.

AidanII
Old 24th April, 2002, 02:06 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by AidanII
I'm not sure the best way of diagnosing the software side of windows when it comes to these driver problems.
I don't think Micro$oft even knows ...
Old 24th April, 2002, 06:11 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Pinky
I don't think Micro$oft even knows ...
Defrag, format, reinstall! WHEE!
Old 28th April, 2002, 02:29 AM

Send a message via AIM to mrpcman

Quote:
Originally posted by Wa11y

Defrag, format, reinstall! WHEE!
defrag? just format and reinstall..unless there is some bit of info i don't know...which could very well be very true.
Old 2nd May, 2002, 12:10 AM

the problem was MS. I found the fix, but I never did install easy cd creator? I did try to install direct-cd though, but that was awhile ago. the fix

Old 8th May, 2002, 12:41 AM
Asst. BBS Administrator

Excellent! I'm glad that you sniffed out the problem! I read not so good things about ez-cd creator, but I'm not a burning expert!