AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > CRASHED!

CRASHED! A topic for SEVERE and immediate Hardware and Operating System FAILURES. We will try to get you up again. NOT for Optimization questions!

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 20th September, 2009, 06:44 AM
AOA Staff

Send a message via AIM to robbie Send a message via MSN to robbie Send a message via Yahoo to robbie Send a message via Skype™ to robbie

Just a quick flash of light and then... nothing!

Ok... some of my fans have LED's in them and this is the light I'm refering too.

I would hit the power button and they would flash... and then nothing. I figured it was the PS so I picked one up at Fry's while I was in the area today. I got a Apevia (generic i would think) 500w ps. Took it home and popped it in. Hit the button and the PC fired back up. WOOT!! I honestly am not ready to replace this beast yet. I want too.. but maybe in a month or two I'll seriously start to consider it.

The ONLY probably I find with the new PS (thus far) is the fan on it is pretty noisey. I think I'll pull it a part later and maybe put a resister on the fan to slow it down some.

At least it's back up and running.
Buy it, Sell it, or Trade it in the AoA classifieds!!
AOA Team fah
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 20th September, 2009, 09:10 AM
Benchmarker

Send a message via Yahoo to chrisbard

I'd say take the fan out completely, winters comming !

PS nicely done Mr. copier
I've heard that linux community came up with better implemented security in it's latest Linux Mint Gold version, it's actually preventing the user to log in, thus posing 0 risk in contamining the computer with malware! Well done to the open source community!

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 20th September, 2009, 12:50 PM

Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by robbie View Post
Ok... some of my fans have LED's in them and this is the light I'm refering too.

I would hit the power button and they would flash... and then nothing. I figured it was the PS so I picked one up at Fry's while I was in the area today. I got a Apevia (generic i would think) 500w ps. Took it home and popped it in. Hit the button and the PC fired back up. WOOT!! I honestly am not ready to replace this beast yet. I want too.. but maybe in a month or two I'll seriously start to consider it.

The ONLY probably I find with the new PS (thus far) is the fan on it is pretty noisey. I think I'll pull it a part later and maybe put a resister on the fan to slow it down some.

At least it's back up and running.
My only concern would be that this "Generic" PSU will overheat & shut down if you slow down that PSU fan.

I've got a hunch the reason the fan is running on high is to keep up with all the heat being generated from everything sucking power from it & it's just keeping up with the power demands.

Just my thought on this...

EVGA GTX 470 SC 37% OC (855/1710/2004) 160.5Gbs
3DMark Vantage: P24352
3DMark 11: P5119
Old 20th September, 2009, 01:20 PM

Nice job!
I'd be more inclined to swap out the fan for a quieter one than I would a controler on that one.

1ST Thermaltake V9 Case * Windows 7 x64 * Gigibyte GM-MA74GM-S2 * Phenom X4 9650 2.3Ghz @ 2.76GHz * G Skill 4 GB DDR2 * EVGA Geforce 9800GT 512GB * Antec 650w

Old 20th September, 2009, 06:59 PM
AOA Staff

Send a message via AIM to robbie Send a message via MSN to robbie Send a message via Yahoo to robbie Send a message via Skype™ to robbie

I forgot to mention that I also installed a new case fan as well. The old one's are pretty old and I think they were the cause for some of the noise in the system.

Turns out I might have shot myself in the foot on this one, as I think it's one of the new case fans that is noisy.

Can't win for losing.

It's got a thermistor on it so I might bend it so it's in front of the fans airflow. This should cool it off and thus slow it down. I don't need it to run fast, just to move some air.
Buy it, Sell it, or Trade it in the AoA classifieds!!
AOA Team fah