AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > CRASHED!

CRASHED! A topic for SEVERE and immediate Hardware and Operating System FAILURES. We will try to get you up again. NOT for Optimization questions!

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 8th November, 2009, 11:59 PM

Cloned drive won't boot

like the sign says, I cloned a 40g drive to a 60g. used one of the tools on UBD5. it's XP FAT32 and the 60g boots to the XP logo Blue Screen. it just sits there. I just might have to reformat an try it (cloning) again.
the idea was to make the 60g the boot drive and put WIN7 on it (upgrade).

Ron

AOA Team fah
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 9th November, 2009, 01:58 AM
Chief BBS Administrator

I think Acronis offer a free (Demo) that will clone a smaller drive to a larger drive leaving the lager drive the same size ( you lose the extra space on the new larger drive.) So that it appears as being the same size as the smaller drive.

Look at the bottom of the page I've linked to for the free download.":O}
."
DKE

"All that we do is touched by Ocean
Yet we remain on the shore of what we know."
Richard Wilbur

[img]/forum/attachments/random-nonsense/16515-sigs-dan_drag.jpg[/img]
Subscribers! Ask Pitch about a Custom Sig Graphic

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 9th November, 2009, 10:48 AM

Is the cloned drive sitting on the same physical drive controller as the one you cloned from ? - I've seen that make a difference.
Old 9th November, 2009, 12:16 PM
Chief Systems Administrator

Just as JimF says - make sure the controller is the same. Going from one PC with ATA emulation (on SATA) enabled to an identical PC with AHCI enabled will break Windows.
Old 26th November, 2009, 04:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Áedán View Post
Just as JimF says - make sure the controller is the same. Going from one PC with ATA emulation (on SATA) enabled to an identical PC with AHCI enabled will break Windows.

oops! well, I got the 40G to 60G fixed. got confident and tried to clone a 250G SATA1 to a 250G SATA2. I was in the same box using tha same program and ran into trouble after resizing the partition. borked them both. now I can't get XP re-installed. will always remember to iso the source drive first. and I thought it would be easy

Ron

AOA Team fah

Tags
clone